DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

• Cutie Suzuki, Devil Masami, Hiromi Yagi & Mayumi Ozaki vs. Candy Okutsu, Dynamite Kansai, Fusayo Nochi & Hikari Fukuoka
    • Shinobu Kandori vs. Harley Saito (MMA Rules)
    • Go Gudan Interplanetary Title: Ryuma Go vs. Uchu Majin Silver X (Alien Deathmatch)
    • Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue vs. Blizzard Yuki & Manami Toyota
    • Minoru Suzuki vs. Christopher DeWeaver (Pancrase Rules)
    • The Headhunters & Cactus Jack vs. Leatherface, Shoji Nakamaki & Terry Funk (Barbed Wire Board & Barbed Wire Baseball Bat Bunkhouse Deathmatch)
    • Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Yuki Ishikawa vs. Carl Greco & Don Arakawa
    • SATO, Shiryu & The Great Sasuke vs. Gran Naniwa, Super Delfin & Taka Michinoku
    • Akira Maeda vs. Chris Dolman (RINGS Rules)
    • Gary Albright, Gene Lydick & Kazuo Yamazaki vs. Nobuhiko Takada, Billy Scott & Masahito Kakihara (UWFi Rules)
    • Pogo Daioh vs. The Great Nita (No Ropes Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch)
    • Akira Taue, Johnny Ace & Toshiaki Kawada vs. Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuharu Misawa & Stan Hansen    
    • Masahiro Chono vs. Shinya Hashimoto

If you've got 6 hours to spare....

• Thanks 4

Never knew this happened in 89.

Great line from JR: "Steiner needs to focus on Muta and ignore Gary Hart, just like the women have."

Very strange weapon Rick found under the ring. It's the equivalent of the IRS agent throwing his case at Krusty's head.

Weekly Pro Wrestling - Bridge of Dreams 

Here's what I thought of the matches I watched.

Skipping Pancrase, RINGS, and the Joshi undercard. The Go Gundan match was... weird. I'm not sure the crowd even know what to think aside from chanting "BAKA" at it. If you want to watch the IWA Japan match go to the Botchamania where they read Foley's book over it. 

God that PWFG match is weird. When Carl Malenko and Ishikawa are in it's a straight, vicious BattlARTS match. Then Don Arakawa comes in and starts eye poking, fishhooking, poking people in the kidneys with his thumb, all kinds of goofiness. Carl is already great on the mat, even getting Ishikawa in the sugar hold. And Don does a little sprint at the end just just so he can? Okay...

The M-Pro match was I suppose pre-Kaientai as Taka was teaming with the Crab and the Dolfin. There was a lot of miscommunication and comedy and the usual rigamarole with Naniwa (lots of him in this) but also your nice stiffness from the expected performers. They teased the highspots for-e-ver and finally pulled them all off at once at the very end. Sasuke of course had to have given himself one or more concussions. Then Naniwa interviews Delfin? Anyway, they got a good response, M-Pro was up and coming here and hopefully it put more eyes on them. 

The UWFi match was real good except for -- you guessed it -- Takada, and won by -- you guessed it -- Takada. At least he sells for Albright's full nelson. Yamazaki comes out of the block wanting his head and he just stares at him blankly like every other fucking wrestler he ever has. Everyone else acquits themselves well, even the anonymous Americans. And of course Albright is an absolute BEAST. He picks up Anonymous American #2 for the deadlift German, gets him to head height and then flings him backward as fast as he can. It's an incredible combination of grace and violence that must be seen to be believed, and up there with any of the gifs we've made of his work on here. 

Next they set some old dude down in the ring for an interview, give a ten bell salute and he starts crying. What's up with that? 

Looks like they have a separate ring set up for the exploding barbed wire match. Onita and Pogo are all garbed up in their alternate gimmicks. It's a Pogo match so you get the usual. Pogo tries to give Onita a tonsellectomy with the sickle. Dunno why he never uses the part around the hand to stab you with. They run into the wire four times, Onita pins Pogo, there is no big explosion. Pretty much the lamest (and tamest) of these I've ever seen. There's not even a fireball! The Great Nita-ized version of "Wild Thing" is pretty novel though. 

Main Events coming up!

Bridge of Dreams Review Part Two

Did I mention that when Yamazaki and Takada finally do get in the ring, Yamazaki manages to German him, he no-sells it and gets up to run over and attack Yamazaki from behind until he notices that Albright has just been tagged in so he immediately tags out to Anonymous American #2. What a pussy. The whole Dome starts booing him, for good reason. 

Fair warning, the crowd and ring audio on the All Japan tag goes out for about fifteen minutes at the start. The story seems to mainly be that Holy Demon Army aren't having any of Kobashi's shit; unfortunately he's got Misawa and Hansen as an all-time backup team and they're more than adept at offense and defense. But for some reason Kobashi keeps getting back in the match and just gets battered. At one point Taue even picks him up like a junior and does that head-level toss off into nowhere that has to land like an avalanche powerbomb from at least seven feet in the air. The audio finally comes back in at 5:15 or so and we get a triple DDT, a big Misawa plancha that sends him off ringside after Taue almost completely wipes out the rail, and Ace even gets to throw in his big finishers on Kobashi to no avail. Hansen gets tagged in and hits the Lariat but Taue isn't having that and goes buckwild to get Ace back in the corner for Kawada. Misawa tags in and the two enemies go back and forth; then Taue tags in and starts crushing Misawa; he gets his out and its back to Taue vs. Kobashi AND THEN... the bell rings. We have a tie! Somebody hand me a fan, I think I got the vapors. If the audio was on for this whole thing it would be an instant classic. As it is that only drops it a notch. 

And to top that? Hash and Chono go out there and have a fuckin' corker. I don't know if this footage has been buried for awhile but I never hear anybody talk about Hash/Chono in any variation and THIS was a hell of a match. Simple story, both guys are taped up, Chono's shoulder, and Hash's leg as is revealed after his pant leg gets rolled up. They both immediately go after each other with Hash having to be peeled off from kicking Masa's head into the front row. What we don't know and Chono knows is that he can go straight after Hash's hammies and he does just that. Hash proceeds to sell more than I've ever seen him and at times even yells in agony with the punishment he's enduring. But of course he's a tough SOB and each chop is just withering, one of them sounds like somebody knocked a baseball across centerfield. There is an exorbitantly long STF that probably could have been stopped sooner but so what. Hash working on the arm is also neat when he decides to just fall on Chono with full body weight, then use it to drop him with two consecutive DDTs. Finally it's down to the brainbuster and Shinya gets the 1-2-3. The crowd is pretty burnt at this point in time but if they were a little more into it, just like if we could hear them in the last one, this would have an easy five stars from most. I don't do stars and it still is from me. Compact, violent, lean, and powerful. 

Hash talks to the guy from Weekly Pro (I guess) and does the Inoki catchphrase to close out the night. If this video sticks around I'll get around to reviewing the Joshi and the other shootstyle matches I passed on this time around. Cool show!

Edwin, DZ, Pete, somebody needs to gif that deadlift German from Albright in the Weekly Pro show's UWFi match. 

Go figure, Meltzer didn't like Hash/Chono. Said the All Japan tag blew it away but even then "the match wasn't good". He was there live but still... sure, buddy.

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 hours ago, Control said:

Haven’t watched it but apparently Meltz gave it five stars (?)

5 stars?!?!? I dug it but it is a dog's breakfast. Does Onita have a direct US equivalent? I think he is unique, very tied to the Japanese idiom & culture. I mean, I think about explaining wrestling personalities to non-fans and how long this explaining would go, and Mr. Atsushi Onita's bio would be quite involved indeed.

- RAF

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Edwin, DZ, Pete, somebody needs to gif that deadlift German from Albright in the Weekly Pro show's UWFi match. 

Trying to but it keeps conking out on me. I can tell you that Billy Scott is the guy getting murdered by Gary.

Dave was probably there in the crowd. I agree with Rev, I mean all the Santito/Casas stuff is typically great and the crowd is super super hot but a wandering brawl is just that unless it's Benoit/Sullivan or something.

Never heard of Billy Scott or Gene Lydick for that matter. They both acquitted themselves well though, Lydick/Kakihara was a nice matchup. 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dave was probably there in the crowd. I agree with Rev, I mean all the Santito/Casas stuff is typically great and the crowd is super super hot but a wandering brawl is just that unless it's Benoit/Sullivan or something.

1. It's a match that everyone on the board should see and I love the fact that there's the Santito/Casas stuff happening in the ring at the same time as everything outside, but yeah..

2. There are two versions of the match that were filmed and one is way more chaotic and visceral than the other and that makes a big difference and I'm putting kids to bed so I can't figure out which is which and which was posted. 

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Where has Kris Von Colt been my entire life?

Mr. R, surely you are hip to Chris Colt (Chris Von Colt was his last (of many) gimmicks for his final run), one of the business' most forgotten & most controversial personalities, and another link in the occult chain of thee real Rock & Wrestling connection.

say it ain't so,

RAF