DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Whoever Andy is on here that does the Whiskey & Wrestling blog (I can't remember) made me look this up after writing about it. You will laugh your ass off at the totally Owen joke finish after the two of them beat the shit out of each other in a room with no give. I'm sure they ended up getting Stu's basement roof repaired on Vince's dime too, just for fun. 

This is also a precursor to the WWE Cinematic Match and it probably got shot in one take then a second to do the finish instead of six hours to set up shots and lighting

Edited by Curt McGirt

I haven't watched this in 23 years and , man, is it gnarley.  Tomoko Watanabe hits the nastiest released Screwdriver.  Shimoda bleeds and hates Ito to make the drama in the match.  Mita is your underrated wrestling machine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Where can I find some of the early Andre matches from France and Montreal that Pat and Dave discussed on WOR ( Paging @Matt D )? 

Here's the Bollet match:

Here's 6 minutes that almost no one's seen actually since this wasn't on the Andre youtube channel:

Give me a few days and I'll get the Scarface, Van Buyten, and Valois matches up for you guys. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Here's the Bollet match:

Here's 6 minutes that almost no one's seen actually since this wasn't on the Andre youtube channel:

Give me a few days and I'll get the Scarface, Van Buyten, and Valois matches up for you guys. 

Merci!

• Like 1

The best ass kicker in wrestling vs. one of the best underdogs who can take an ass kicking. That bodyslam and better yet the slams onto the guardrail. I know I watched this back when I got the '92 Japan TV from Lynch in like 2004 or so but I don't remember it even though Stan is my A1 dude and Kikuchi is incredible.

No promotion has ever been better at establishing levels to their roster like AJPW in its golden age. Kikuchi isn't getting a whole lot and isn't even going to really push Hansen at all, but that's okay. He is going to endure, suffer, endure and suffer some more, and then get off whatever he can with whatever he has left and then get annihilated. Hansen working the back to setup the youngboi killer is awesome. Kikuchi isn't even worth going after the lariat a second time. And yet, Kikuchi remained ever the fan favourite and was in one of the best matches of all time later that year despite all of that. 

• Like 3