DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Starting a new thread for the new year that basically combines "misc" and the "70s" thread. Basically that stuff that is online that doesn't really have a home anywhere else on the board.

For example - this was just over 20 years ago

We are all motherfucking old

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Someone uploaded the Christopher Daniels vs. Mike Modest match from XPW which I have no memory of. I am chalking that up to doing my best to ignore XPW

It might also be because it's Donovan Morgan wrestling Daniels in that match, not Mike Modest.

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

It might also be because it's Donovan Morgan wrestling Daniels in that match, not Mike Modest.

That too.

I kept wondering why Modest had more hair than I remembered

Lucier posted this earlier. 

It's ~7 minutes of shine in a Bravo/Haku vs Roadies match where the Roadies just give the whole thing. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before outside of them wrestling the person signing their checks (which in this case might have been Bravo actually?), especially from the 85 Road Warriors.

3 hours ago, Lazlo Woodbine said:

This was just uploaded the other day, it's lacking a bit in intensity but still a neat little note in the whole Ishikawa in Canada weirdness.

While waiting for youtube to load, i thought it was going to be Stalker. :(

What I watched instead of Raw last night, all posted within the last week from 3 different youtube channels:

1.) Satanico vs Brazo de Oro, a sub-ten minute hair match which is about as good as it could have been. Oro's a very fun foil for Satanico trying to counter him with fat man offense and clotheslines.

2.) Bob Orton, Jr. vs Ron "One Man Gang" Garvin from ICW tv: This was a great little TV match, looser in certain norms than you'd expect (they go at it on the mat at the beginning and some of the outside brawling feels weirdly outside convention). It's also a great look at just how good Orton was ~1980. He's always talked up by his peers but we don't have a ton of complete footage from him pre-WWE. He added an extra twist or bit of oomph to almost all of his big moves and it was well appreciated. Plus, Garvin looks like the Second Doctor. This is worth your time.

3. Rip Rogers vs Franz Schumann: Schumann is very good. There are a bunch of matches with him out there (vs Zrno, vs Finlay, vs Severn, vs Liger, vs Owen, vs Lasartesse, vs Brookside, etc.) People should check him out. This one's pretty weird, with Rip's attempts at heat foiled repeatedly by the German rules and the ref. It gives the impression of watching hockey where icing is called every other minute or something. Still, Rip is Rip, and he overcomes it to annoy the crowd and get some heat anyway.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, MADCAP said:

This is pretty cool.  I read so much about this feud and this is the first video I've ever seen of it.  This guy's whole channel is clips or L.A. wrestling in the 70's, however most of the videos are less than a minute.  On the plus side, we are getting a look at some lost footage so be happy with that. 

I am happy that this footage exists, but the Tolos stuff I have seen has been consistently bland and tasteless - a genenic OG heel style like KKowalski but with less personality (!) (and much more dynamic promos, to be sure (I Bite The Songs, thank you, Mr. Johnny Legend)). I know his bio and would have liked to have seen his youthful babyface stuff, but I have always been annoyed by that style where it looks like they are hiding to blade CONSTANTLY when they are selling - maybe to cover when they do? This clip illustrates that perfectly. And Blassie is Blassie, always genius, cool heel proto-Flair really...

all respekt to thee Old Heads,

RAF

On 1/24/2017 at 8:23 AM, Matt D said:

What I watched instead of Raw last night, all posted within the last week from 3 different youtube channels:

3. Rip Rogers vs Franz Schumann: Schumann is very good. There are a bunch of matches with him out there (vs Zrno, vs Finlay, vs Severn, vs Liger, vs Owen, vs Lasartesse, vs Brookside, etc.) People should check him out. This one's pretty weird, with Rip's attempts at heat foiled repeatedly by the German rules and the ref. It gives the impression of watching hockey where icing is called every other minute or something. Still, Rip is Rip, and he overcomes it to annoy the crowd and get some heat anyway.

Schumann had a really good technical match with Dan Severn for the NWA title on one of the Eddie Gilbert memorial shows we went to. 

To me this match kinda defines lolTNA to me:

1. Pacman Jones, might've been the biggest heel in TNA at the time. But TNA is clearly pushing him as a face. 

2. Despite Pacman being prohibited from any physical activity TNA still puts a title on him.

3. Pacman gets the pin on Sting and the camera misses it, focusing on Karen Angle on the outside instead.

4. Killings made the most out of a shitty situation being saddled with Pacman. No wonder he would leave TNA a few months later.

EDIT: TNA fucking blocked the video on Youtube so thank goodness for Vimeo also here's an added bonus of Team Pacman defended the Titles against Team 3D on an episode of IMPACT! complete with a "comedy" spot with Brother Ray taking a football to the balls

2nd EDIT: It's not a football to the balls but to the back of the head.