DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

On 4/21/2022 at 3:37 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

This is the only thing that came to my lesion-filled brain, it's that Russian backyard deathmatch joint, lots of fun, yes?

Nah, it was a Japanese match, with no ring, and the dudes were grappling on the mat surrounded by like ten people towering above them despite sitting on chairs.

I think they were using a toy WWE belt for the title.

Someone posted the World Championship Wrestling 9/21/85 show.  I think this is the go home Saturday Night before the Magnum TA / Tully Blanchard I Quit match.

Buddy Landell beats the living shit out of poor Larry Clark.  Gary Royal and Denny Brown get to work for a million years and that is a good thing.

Edited by J.T.

On 4/26/2022 at 2:07 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

It's thee little things that count. Seriously tho', I believe (and have observed) that when you get folks talking about memorable rassling they have seen, it is often an angle or post-match brawl or crowd reaction or pre-match promo - or evening out with the lads/grandma/kids - that people wax enthusiastic about. I have seen much great cards 'n' matches 'n' moves, but it is the actions, events and experiences that I recall most readily. Knobbs' spit > some double top rope kanadian spinning thunder blue fire fuzion banger move...

For some reason, it didn't dawn on me until today to look up that card on cagematch.  I saw Dean Malenko and the Pitbulls four years before ECW.  HOW aBOUT THAT!  That card was loaded.  RANGER ROSS! EDIT: Vince Torrelli is freakin Ken Shamrock!  I saw all the star before they were stars!

Name of the event:
NAWA
Date:
Type:

:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: at least one worker in the match does not have a profile. ::::
Singles Match
Matt Borne defeats Beau Ragin

All workers

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

For some reason, it didn't dawn on me until today to look up that card on cagematch.  I saw Dean Malenko and the Pitbulls four years before ECW.  HOW aBOUT THAT!  That card was loaded.  RANGER ROSS! EDIT: Vince Torrelli is freakin Ken Shamrock!  I saw all the star before they were stars!

Name of the event:
NAWA
Date:
Type:

:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: at least one worker in the match does not have a profile. ::::
Singles Match

All workers

I think this is RIGHT before Chris Chavis became Tatanka.  EDIT:  Actually, this was a year and a half before he debuted as Tatanka.

• Like 1

I remember seeing Stan Hansen for the one and only time I ever saw him live.  I do not remember seeing Kevin Nash.  Rip Morgan AND Rip Rogers!

Name of the event:
WCW House Show
Date:
Type:
Attendance:
ca. 2.100

:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: house show matches cannot be recommended. ::::
Singles Match
:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: house show matches cannot be recommended. ::::
Singles Match
The Z-Man defeats Rip Rogers
Singles Match
Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Lex Luger defeats Stan Hansen by Count Out
Tag Team Match
Sting defeats Ric Flair (c) by DQ

All workers

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DEAN said:

Name of the event:
NAWA
Date:
Type:

Singles Match

All workers

Has Kris P posted this show on his YT yet? He's posting a bunch of NAWA and SAPW stuff.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Has Kris P posted this show on his YT yet? He's posting a bunch of NAWA and SAPW stuff.

It was a house show.  I don't think there is any video evidence of this.

IMG-20200511-035228.jpg

OK, Mr. Dean - here is my "before they were stars", really more of a "already established in Mexico" & "destined to be stars in the USA" & "shoulda coulda woulda". I've posted this before, but I have heard (from Mr. Legend, I thinks) that it was Rey Misterio Jr's USA in-ring debut (as Superboy). Konan had appeared a couple times already. I went by myself and had a great time. Mando & Chavo were bemused at the club setting but were intent on getting their luchadores over. Famous Flame's sister hit on me and I didn't realize it until later (stupid!). Johnny legend remembered me and we chatted; the man is a, arcane aggregator of some many cool American subcultures and entertainments. I still think wrestling and rock'n'roll could be promoted together successfully.

Johnny Legend links

his passions for our pleasure.

"That little kid's good."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reverend Future, please note that I went to this card in Norfolk when I was in high school.  It has Dusty vs Adrian Street AND the Briscos.  The rest looks awesome, but I have absolutely no recollection of anything else.  The Briscos were great as heels.  The Dusty Rhodes appearance was really random for the time, I remember.

All workers
  • Like 3

I wish I had a better memory of the first PWUSA show I went to in Baltimore, since it was super loaded  I know I took pictures, I think they are still in the house somewhere. 

Spoiler
Singles Match
Scott Hall defeats Boris Zhukov (10:15)
:::: Not recommended yet. ::::
Lights Out Match
Tully Blanchard defeats Jimmy Valiant (8:55)
Magnum TA (c) defeats Baron von Raschke (12:10)
:::: Not eligible for the matchguide: match length < 5 minutes. ::::
Singles Match
Larry Zbyszko defeats Nick Bockwinkel by DQ (0:45)
Stan Hansen (c) vs. Sgt. Slaughter - Double Count Out (15:32)
Ric Flair (c) defeats Dusty Rhodes by DQ (28:34)
Steel Cage Tag Team Match

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

IMG-20200511-035228.jpg

OK, Mr. Dean - here is my "before they were stars", really more of a "already established in Mexico" & "destined to be stars in the USA" & "shoulda coulda woulda". I've posted this before, but I have heard (from Mr. Legend, I thinks) that it was Rey Misterio Jr's USA in-ring debut (as Superboy). Konan had appeared a couple times already. I went by myself and had a great time. Mando & Chavo were bemused at the club setting but were intent on getting their luchadores over. Famous Flame's sister hit on me and I didn't realize it until later (stupid!). Johnny legend remembered me and we chatted; the man is a, arcane aggregator of some many cool American subcultures and entertainments. I still think wrestling and rock'n'roll could be promoted together successfully.

Johnny Legend links

IMPERIAL BUTT WIZARDS!

4 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Those are two amazing cards.

Dusty/Street - antics.

Valiant/Tully - heartfelt.

I wish I was there.

You will prob like our next pod, once I get the chance to up;lad it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

IMG-20200511-035228.jpg

Johnny Legend links

I remember reading about "The Savage Apache" Tim Tall Tree in wrestling mags back in the day.

• Like 1

This was the first show I attended, Blackjack Mulligan went medieval for the Bunkhouse Match by bringing a Mace to the ring and after the match a fan attacked Mulligan! Which lead to the fan getting his ass kicked by Blackjack and Special Guest Ref Gorilla Monsoon, I clearly remember the huge smile Monsoon had as he pummeled the fan.

WWF @ Pittsburgh, PA - Civic Arena - June 18, 1982
The Hangman pinned Pedro Torres at 4:50 with a knee to the mid-section as Torres charged the corner
Baron Mikel Scicluna pinned Miguel Feliciano at 7:40 with a knee drop after catching him coming off the top and hitting a knee to the chest
Mr. Fuji & Mr. Saito fought Chief Jay & Jules Strongbow to a draw in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match at 15:45; fall #1: Fuji pinned Jules at the 45 second mark after throwing salt in his face while Saito distracted the referee; fall #2: Jules defeated Saito with a sleeper at 10:05; fall #3: the two teams fought to a double disqualification when all four men began brawling in the ring and referee Rich Szczypinski was hit several times
WWF World Champion Bob Backlund defeated Blackjack Mulligan in a Bunkhouse Match at 12:50 when guest referee Gorilla Monsoon stopped the match due to blood after Backlund busted Mulligan open and repeatedly hit it with the title belt; both men were permitted to bring one weapon to the ring for the bout, which would be placed in their corner for future use; Backlund chose his title belt while Mulligan brought a spiked-ball hammer
Jimmy Snuka pinned SD Jones at 17:50 with an inside cradle after avoiding a third consecutive tackle
Tony Atlas pinned Adrian Adonis at 14:20 with a splash after Adonis hit the corner
Ivan Putski pinned Greg Valentine at 14:00 when Valentine failed a powerslam, with Putski falling on top for the win

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first ECW show I ever went to.

Name of the event:
ECW Three Way Dance
Date:
Type:
Arena:
Attendance:
ca. 1.150

Tag Team Match
Singles Match
Raven defeats Tommy Dreamer (8:42)
Singles Match
Mikey Whipwreck defeats Ron Simmons by DQ (4:18)
Eddie Guerrero defeats Too Cold Scorpio (c) (14:49) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
Hair Vs. Hair Match
Axl Rotten defeats Ian Rotten (9:50)
Singles Match
Dino Sandoff defeats Hack Myers (4:14)
ECW World Tag Team Title Three Way Dance
The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) defeat Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko (c) and Rick Steiner & The Tazmaniac (19:56) - TITLE CHANGE !!!
- Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko eliminate Rick Steiner & The Tazmaniac (6:48)
- The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) eliminate Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko (19:56)

This text is hidden because it is only available in German language. Please click this line if you do not care and want to view it anyway.

All workers
  • Like 1

The first wrestling card I ever went to.

WWF @ South Bend, IN - Joyce Athletic & Convocation Center - October 27, 1985
Tony Atlas defeated Rene Goulet
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Barry O
B. Brian Blair defeated Les Thornton
George Steele defeated the Spoiler
WWF Tag Team Champions Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake defeated Mike Rotundo & Mr. Wrestling II (sub. for Barry Windham)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, driver said:

The first wrestling card I ever went to.

WWF @ South Bend, IN - Joyce Athletic & Convocation Center - October 27, 1985
Tony Atlas defeated Rene Goulet
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Barry O
B. Brian Blair defeated Les Thornton
George Steele defeated the Spoiler
WWF Tag Team Champions Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake defeated Mike Rotundo & Mr. Wrestling II (sub. for Barry Windham)

I think I was 11 when I went to my first match.  All I remember is that we went in my cousin Tommy's purple Challenger, Barracuda by Heart was playing, it was at the Norfolk Scope and that I touched Ricky Steamboat's back.

• Like 1