DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'll take atmosphere over a bunch of Germans chanting anytime. 

I can't understand that for a second. I've seen people lose their minds for this match and the reaction is bewildering to me to be honest. The two of them are great but thinking any match could be out of this world great like I've seen many say without a crowd is so alien to me. I was lucky to be at the 2017 version and it's still the best match I've seen in person and I can't imagine even watching this version no matter how much hype it gets. Covid era wrestling is the worst. 

With Orange Cassidy wrestling John Silver on PPV tonight, Beyond Wrestling has been reminding everyone know that they faced each other before:

Five match playlist, even. Singles, tags and multi-mans.

• Like 1

I know Matt is covering '89 All Japan but I don't think he's gotten to this one yet. '88-'89 is a bit of a dark spot for me with AJPW. I've seen some of the big matches from those two years but I hadn't seen this:

https://www.facebook.com/AJPWClassics/videos/655283301993733/

(not sure why it isn't embedding)

But the Bulldogs vs. Furnas & Kroffat from May of '89. The match starts with really tight psychology, especially with Davey and Kroffat trying to athletically outdo one another, but the thing that really stands out with this match for me is how much they maintain the illusion of a physical competition. Most everything is a struggle but it's not super sloppy barring one or two spots. It looks legitimate. It's an awesome blend of old school fightin' and sound storytelling. The latter kind of drifts in the end a bit but I fucking loved this match. I wish current day wrestlers would incorporate more anger and "realism" (I know, Irish whips and all that) into their matches instead of everything being so quick and clean all of the time (I think that shit would pop even more if done only occasionally like an Omega snap dragon suplex). 

edit: I'm probably going to rewatch this later as I was completely exhausted and fading in the second half but what a fun match. Not quite the heights of the '92 Kobashi/Kikuchi match but if this is Furnas and Kroffat's second best match, it's a great one to have in that slot.

Edited by Jiji

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

I know Matt is covering '89 All Japan but I don't think he's gotten to this one yet. '88-'89 is a bit of a dark spot for me with AJPW. I've seen some of the big matches from those two years but I hadn't seen this:

https://www.facebook.com/AJPWClassics/videos/655283301993733/

(not sure why it isn't embedding)

But the Bulldogs vs. Furnas & Kroffat from May of '89. The match starts with really tight psychology, especially with Davey and Kroffat trying to athletically outdo one another, but the thing that really stands out with this match for me is how much they maintain the illusion of a physical competition. Most everything is a struggle but it's not super sloppy barring one or two spots. It looks legitimate. It's an awesome blend of old school fightin' and sound storytelling. The latter kind of drifts in the end a bit but I fucking loved this match. I wish current day wrestlers would incorporate more anger and "realism" (I know, Irish whips and all that) into their matches instead of everything being so quick and clean all of the time (I think that shit would pop even more if done only occasionally like an Omega snap dragon suplex). 

edit: I'm probably going to rewatch this later as I was completely exhausted and fading in the second half but what a fun match. Not quite the heights of the '92 Kobashi/Kikuchi match but if this is Furnas and Kroffat's second best match, it's a great one to have in that slot.

I’ve been skipping all Bulldogs matches because I hate watching late career Dynamite as much as almost any wrestler I can think of but I really like Kroffat so maybe I’ll give this a go.

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ve been skipping all Bulldogs matches because I hate watching late career Dynamite as much as almost any wrestler I can think of but I really like Kroffat so maybe I’ll give this a go.

The first third feels almost entirely Davey Boy and Furnas. Kroffat is easily the smartest of the four. Brother is getting the crowd to get into it at just the right moment even on the apron. Dynamite wasn't offensive but I'm not as sour on him as you are. He hits a disgusting superplex late on that looks like he could've broken Kroffat's neck and done some serious damage to himself. It almost turned into a rude awakening. DK loved the high loft on the superplex but this was absurd.

• Like 1

Considering I just posted Brandon Thurston's article in the other thread, it's only fair I post a match of his here as well. Bring balance to the board.

(I swear he used to post here ten years ago)

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of one of my manic periods where I binge a bunch of shit and then go into wrestling hibernation for six months, but I just watched this for the first time and it's perfect and beautiful and I love it and I had to talk about it somewhere:

Takayama is the baddest man alive (natch). Kobashi goes psycho. Omori is a fucking goon. Akiyama starts off a house of fire and then plays FIP because somebody has to. It's 15 minutes of four guys beating the shit out of each other (Takayama puts on two holds lasting maybe a combined 10 seconds) and that's the Platonic ideal of a match for me right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was interesting. The shine was Brad with a lot of the "hang on to a wristlock" stuff that we've seen so frequently in the French footage, but without most of the smoothness or finesse. You get the sense that Regal was calling it but that Brad hadn't done it dozens of times, so it only partially worked. The up and over into a short arm scissors was nice in theory but we've seen it done better in practice recently. Still, novel stuff for US tv in 93. Eventually, Regal got frustrated and went dirty.  The fans were into Brad when he was working from underneath but the comeback didn't seem very heated. Roll through reversal with the tights for the finish. Nice experimental match but that's about it. Jesse and Tony on commentary were, as always, far superior than either JR and Jesse or JR and Tony.

BTW, part of what led me to this one was Roy Lucier posting a WCW Pro from the year following with a "lost" Regal vs Armstrong match that's really excellent and is centered around the cast on his hand. People should go find the tweet and grab that today before the google drive file goes away. I'd isolate it and post it but I try to avoid that with WWE owned stuff, but if people miss out and want to see it, let me know.

Edited by Matt D

We talked up this match in the ROH forum:

Guns 4 Hire vs Sons of Savagery for the MCW Tag Team titles @ MCW Autumn Armageddon 2018 in Joppa, MD.

I am in the crowd somewhere on the left.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1