DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

58 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Sean Waltman tweeted about this today and called it his best match, and I can't argue. This is real fucking good. 

Pretty much the perfect babyface vet vs. babyface underdog match. Bret bullied Kid but in a way that made perfect sense and was firm but fair. Love the restart with the champ calling out the BS finish. Bret's work was so fucking snug but in a safe way. They had the perfect amount of hope spots where Kid always felt in it and that he could win it in an instant if Bret dropped his focus for just an instant. The match stays perfectly within itself while still being super dramatic, in that it is 100% sustainable. They didn't have to push the envelope with kickouts or surviving the Sharpshooter. That dive to the outside from Waltman near the end where he eats shit was the worst bump of the match and that was because he overshot Bret. And even THAT plays into the story of the Kid being beat the shit up but having so much heart that he's going to throw everything he has at the champ. Waltman's selling is stellar too. A perfect match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/2/2020 at 9:54 AM, BurningBeard said:

"I don't have to prove anything to me!"

Masked Superstar was a pretty underrated promo

"I'm not going to try and run you down, because I can't." That is fucking ACES. Superstar puts on a clinic in building up his opponent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

"I'm not going to try and run you down, because I can't." That is fucking ACES. Superstar puts on a clinic in building up his opponent.

On the one hand I’m kinda sad that I’ve only ever really got to see his WWF run, but on the other hand I’m happy because it’s still shown how great Eadie was in that role 

17 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

On the one hand I’m kinda sad that I’ve only ever really got to see his WWF run, but on the other hand I’m happy because it’s still shown how great Eadie was in that role 

It makes you wish he was the transitional champ between Backpack and Hogan instead of Sheik. They could've easily swapped in the cobra as the death move that ended his reign, especially after the angle where he "retired" Eddie Gilbert with it.

• Like 1

I can only ever remember seeing Shinzaki bust out the fake-Vader-bomb-into-stomp against Gannosuke. It's such a cool variant to show he was SERIOUS. They had another really cool match earlier on that built up to this eventual climax that Gannosuke won, but it doesn't appear to be on youtube anymore because it's super important someone enforces copyright on 25 year old wrestling matches or something.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

This one's for @DEAN and @Curt McGirt mostly. Another Ricky Santana and Rex King match with the Heartbreakers. Not as good, wild or bloody as the street fight from the other thread, but it's still really good.