DVDVR Message Board

Your 2017 INTERNET MATCHES Thread

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ishii/Rampage wasn't anything special but I was tickled by the color guy's thick Scottish brogue

I was a little bummed because they only got fifteen minutes and the finish seemed a bit rushed.  I think it would've been a lot better if they had gotten more time to beat the hell out of each other and sell the punishment.

I was disappointed that it was like ten minutes of strikes before a single wrestling move. The brawl into the crowd was inspired, though. Rampage has one hell of a spinebuster and the low camera angle on it was dope.

It would be funny if somebody did a video of those ten minutes in fast forward with a timer at the bottom and set it to the Benny Hill theme. Paging Mr. Maffew...

• 2 weeks later...

Not a very good match either IIRC. The best thing about it was the DVDVR review probably haha

EDIT: It was voted #152 out of 175 matches on the New Japan '80s set, sandwiched in between Liger/Black Tiger (European Rounds), and what I recall is another bizarre mismatch in Choshu/Backlund. So yeah.

On 8/7/2017 at 1:33 PM, RIPPA said:

I was not expecting to find Preston Quinn vs. Mike Bennett on the internet today but here we are

(16 minutes in if the video link doesn't work)

Marcus Dowling??? There's an old friend I haven't seen in YEARS.

Thanks to Bucky for posting this in puroresu thread

This is the match Dave raved about in the new WON. He gave it 4 3/4 stars (for whatever that is worth on his new 6 star Japan scale)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You know what that match reminded me of? The scene in True Romance where James Gandolfini says "You got heart, kid" and ends up paying the price. Maybe not as bad, but hey. Also, Ishikawa with the trunks and boots and the Van Dyke comes off like a scarred up Jumbo. 

That match should also be a lesson for all wrestlers: SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL. You can get away with most anything if you do enough of it.

EDIT: Just to add, Hechicero/Puma was of course great. It wasn't seamless, but what is? 

The version with Japanese commentary is available too, here. Even if you don't follow New Japan closely--or care for ZSJ in general--I'd recommend this as a really good, simple story: Ace clinging to his spot with a partially torn bicep vs. younger, new to the promotion submission spammer looking for a breakthrough win. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don´t know what to say about this, first it has a Japanese fake Hogan, it has other fakes and than a giant Panda shows up near the end. Hope these haven´t been posted yet, sorry I´m in a hurry as it´s late but I just wanted to make sure these were posted.

From the same group, this one has that Masked Nihei clone Kamen Sempai I think his name is.