DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Comics Industry News Thread

The Unholy Dragon

On 11/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, odessasteps said:

RIP illustrator Gahan Wilson.

april71.jpg

I have to admit that I missed this, while not unexpected, still very sad. Even sadder is that Gahan Wilson's passing deserves it's own thread, maybe you and I are the only ones old enough to appreciate what he meant to the illustrated form, but to say that he was a giant is a vast understatement. 

A couple of years ago Jerad Walters at Centipede Press and I decided to revive some John Blackburn titles, when Jerad told me that Gahan wanted to do the dustjackets you could have knocked me over with a feather. No, it isn't his best work, but it IS Gahan Wilson which puts it ahead of just about everyone else.  For years the man made Playboy, The National Lampoon, and The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction better by his presence.  His like shall not pass this way again anytime soon...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The timing on this is almost impossibly difficult. The 5G thing is supposed to launch in October. The limited amount of time they have to either adjust it or scrap it if that's the plan would be absurdly difficult.

Bleeding Cool is saying he was fired for "fostering a poor work environment" based mostly on the recent exodus of editors, and most of those reportedly happened, at least in part, due to 5G.

So people finally revolted against one of his bs initiatives, interesting. Honestly I'm not sure how or why he thought 5G was a remotely good idea. I don't hate the guy, but he really should have lost his job a while ago. If whoever replaces him is smart 5G will either become a minor event or just be scrapped altogether. Honestly if it was scheduled for October then scrapping it should be the way to go. Just keep the current teams on their books.

Edited by Eivion

1. I don't think 5G was a particularly bad idea. DC and Marvel comics should primarily exist as IP Farms right now and this would have been a good way to dump a lot out there at once. If they hit with even one (like a Ms Marvel or Moon Girl or whatever), then that makes the whole thing worth it. Yeah, they'd alienate an audience, but it's not like there's much even left anyway. They'd put this back in a bottle in a few years and just refresh again. It's the DC way.

2. They were going to bridge it with an evergreen Convergence like storyline. They can just let Bendis or someone go wild and do a House of M or whatever for a few more months to bridge it towards whatever they do instead of 5G.

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

1. I don't think 5G was a particularly bad idea. DC and Marvel comics should primarily exist as IP Farms right now and this would have been a good way to dump a lot out there at once. If they hit with even one (like a Ms Marvel or Moon Girl or whatever), then that makes the whole thing worth it. Yeah, they'd alienate an audience, but it's not like there's much even left anyway. They'd put this back in a bottle in a few years and just refresh again. It's the DC way.

2. They were going to bridge it with an evergreen Convergence like storyline. They can just let Bendis or someone go wild and do a House of M or whatever for a few more months to bridge it towards whatever they do instead of 5G.

Killing the current generation outside of a few names in side books in Black Label to sell an entire new gen is a terrible idea no matter how you play it. People were not going to jump on those new books. If 5G was a small event or another minor line it would be sensible. This was basically a New 52 sequel scenario and the latter didn't work out so great in the long run. And this is coming from someone who started to buy their books along the time of New 52.

Which is why making 40 new legacy IPs/DLC costumes/versions that you can put in video games seems like a pretty ok idea even if you shred 80% of the 20K people buying your comics for a year or two (which you won't anyway) until you reboot and get them back.

Edited by Matt D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I'm guessing Diamond is out of business for good?

No, Diamond had announced that they were going to go back to shipping sometime in May.

Apparently DC's move blindsided almost everyone, including some DC staff.

Edited by dogwelder
  • Thanks 1