DVDVR Message Board

NJPW New Beginning 2017 2/5 & 2/11

Raziel

2/5 New Beginning in Sapporo,  Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center

Main Event: IWGP Heavyweight Championship

"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (CHAOS) (c) vs. Minoru Suzuki (Suzuki-gun)

Semi-Final: IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship 3-Way Match 

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano) (c) vs. Glory Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.) (Suzuki-gun)

NEVER Openweight Championship

Hirooki Goto (CHAOS) (c) vs. Juice Robinson

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Roppongi Vice (Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero) (CHAOS) (c) vs. Suzuki-Gun (Taichi & TAKA Michinoku)

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manubu Nakanishi, Michael Elgin, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI, EVIL, SANADA, & Hiromu Takahashi)

Takashi Iizuka (Suzuki-gun) vs. YOSHI-HASHI (CHAOS)

Jushin "Thunder" Liger, Tiger Mask IV, & Katsuyori Shibata vs. CHAOS (Will Ospreay, Jado, & Gedo)

KUSHDA & Hirai Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado)

2/11 New Beginning in Osaka, EDION Arena 

Main Event: IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Tetsuya Naito (Los Ingobernables de Japon) (c) vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin

Semi Final: IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

"Time Bomb" Hiromu Takahashi (L.I.J) (c) vs. Dragon Lee (CMLL)

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship 3 Way Match *

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano) (c) vs. Glory Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.) (Suzuki-gun)

RPW British Heavyweight Championship **

Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Will Ospreay (CHAOS)

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi, & Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs. L.I.J (EVIL, SANADA, & BUSHI)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Trent Baretta, & Rocky Romero) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, & TAKA Michinoku)

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo) vs. Juice Robinson, Jushin "Thunder" Liger, Tiger Mask IV, & Yuji Nagata

Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & KUSHIDA vs. Suzuki-gun (Takashi Iizuka, El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru)

David Finlay & Henare vs. Yoshitatsu & Hirai Kawato 

* Champions dependant on 2/5 match

** If Shibata is still champion.  If not it will be a regular singles match.

• Like 2

OP updated with Card in match order.  Only suprises are that both nights get a Tag Title match, and that there no Bullet Club members on either card.  There are quite a few ways to take that.  

37 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

OP updated with Card in match order.  Only suprises are that both nights get a Tag Title match, and that there no Bullet Club members on either card.  There are quite a few ways to take that.  

The exact same tag title match, no less. Unless it's a typo?

The Osprey/Shibata segments from the New Year's Dash 10-man-tag were amazing, this match should be something else.

Suzuki-gun brings some fresh match-ups to the table at least, I hope they don't grow stale as quickly as they did in NOAH.

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm guessing Iizuka has been in NOAH with Suzuki-gun? Not like he was really missed, but it raises the question. 

Yes. Even Yoshinobu Kanemaru snuck himself into New Japan via Suzuki-gun somehow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Beginning 2/5:

Watched from the 10 man onwards.  That, the junior tag, and the three way with the heavies were all fun scramble-type deals with not much else to write home about.  Elgin/Naito and Hiromu/Dragon Lee will be off the chain next weekend.

Juice Robinson was outstanding in his bout with Goto.  Really great match, and I was almost expecting Juice to end up aligning with Suzuki-gun as their secondary singles guy after how he opened this thing up.

The main... if Omega/Okada got six stars, this fucker might get seven.  Suzuki puts on a virtuoso performance as a gnawing, tearing animal, and Okada is just out to survive long enough to pick his spots and hit his signatures to hold off the onslaught.  Felt like it went pretty long, but such an engrossing story I have no idea what the time ended up as.  Surefire MOTYC.

That was a virtuoso ass-kicking delivered by Suzuki. Probably one of the better individual performances I'll see all year. Okada was Okada. Hit his signature stuff, but had trouble stringing things together. (Until he didn't.) Didn't feel his approach was quite unique enough to this match, though. 

My body is so ready for Katsuyori "Chappin' Fuckin'" Shibata vs. Will Ospreay this Saturday. They've done such a great job building up the match with Ospreay bringing an intensity I've rarely seen from him and Shibata being Shibata. The final four matches should range from good to outstanding, so I may try and stay up for it, though I'll probably pass out watching Tiger Mask.

New Beginning 2/11:

Watched the three singles title bouts.

Loved Shibata/Ospreay.  Shibata does his thing without making Ospreay look like a geek, and the Aerial Assassin is able to give as good as he gets at a couple points, while generally working all his spots in in a manner befitting a heavyweight bout.  Also Ospreay busts out this dope ass Tony Jaa-esque sequence on the outside at the beginning that is SO good.

Hiromu/Dragon Lee is the INSANE spotfest you expect it to be, with the degree to which you will love it or hate it predicated on how much you get down with that sort of thing.  It is a wrestling match in only the loosest sense, composed of equal parts absurd counters, crazy bumps to the outside, and cringe-inducing neck-and-headdrops.  I personally chose to embrace the sheer ridiculousness of this thing and dug it, but YMwill-almost-certainlyV.

Naito/Elgin was another awesome bout between two guys who have incredible chemistry together.  Just an amazing match that keeps building and building while playing off each's familiarity with the other at this point.  With what I'm guessing is the "new normal" of King's-Road-length mains in 2017, it's hard for me to keep the totality of all these things together in my head, but I can't see how this thing doesn't get the full boat, and it's gonna be right up there with the last two big event closers come MOTY time.  Unreal start to the year for NJPW.

• Like 3

I feel like the Takahashi/Dragon Lee match was done better in Mexico because it was less fragmented and the crowds were hotter throughout. That was way too loose in terms of telling a story but the spots are the usual insanity when those two get together. It's like these two and Cavernario are racing to early retirement.

Ospreay vs. Shibata was better in my opinion and had the jaw dropping spots but was way tighter. Shibata's bringing it in defending the RevPro title between this. the Riddle match and the Hero defense. 

I may have to give it another shot but I didn't love Suzuki vs. Okada. Okada's selling was inconsistent, going from death to kip ups and Suzuki didn't exactly liven things up for the 30 or however many minutes he was in control. 

Going to watch Big Mike/Naito either tonight after EC or tomorrow sometime. I'm excited, as Big Mike is sooo much better in Japan than on the indies and Naito is Naito. Cyanide is spot on talking about their chemistry. Loved their matches from last year. 

• Like 1

I plan on watching Naito-Elgin sometime this week. I watched Shibata-Ospreay, which was a well-done contrast in style. Takahashi-Dragon Lee was exciting and insane. So many bumps that legit concerned me, specifically the one Lee takes when knocked from the top rope. And that freakin' hurricarana spot, good lord. 

Watched the Okada/Suzuki match and I liked it enough, cuz I will like Suzuki tearing a guy up every day of the week, but man oh man did some of it go long. I also found myself really enjoying it for ironic, somewhat mean reasons, like "well at least if Minoru keeps him in a leglock for a whole hour I'm mostly spared from watching Okada's offense."

• Like 1