DVDVR Message Board

2017 US INDY/INDIE DISCUSSION THREAD

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I hope y'all are sitting down for this

Davey Richards no showed the Ted Petty Invitational

Only in indie wrestling can a guy who has a habit of no showing get replaced by a guy who recently got caught stealing money from Joey Janela wallet in the locker room a couple months ago.   And it kind of makes sense given the company

What's the story on this, besides what's above? In the Observer or anything, to save a copy+paste? I'm assuming it's just some short account of Moore being a sack of shit. 

Speaking of, this just made me remember something from late 80s WWF. Wasn't there a locker room thief, and someone planted some money somewhere and caught the culprit, and the guy was beaten up or something? Then subsequently fired. 

Some Canadian drama as new fed Bytown Championship Wrestling, who had their debut show scheduled for this Sunday in the Ottawa area, straight up cancelled it yesterday with 3 days' notice.  Something to do with a backer of their show pulling out.  I believe they're offering refunds to the fans, but the talent booked (which included the Young Bucks, Trevor Lee, Shane Strickland, RVD, Sting in a GM role, and others) won't be getting paid.

Now, SMASH Wrestling has a "secret show" (Mystery Vortex style, no matches announced in advance) set for that same day, so the fact that there's suddenly a bunch of big indy names with an open date could work out very well for them - but that's in Toronto, which is a 4.5 hour drive from Ottawa.  Don't know if the timing will work out, if people can change their travel plans, or what.

I should set up a Canadian Indie Thread just to let @Marty Sugar rant about all the dirt bags who try to run shows.

Yes this is my way of saying that BCW (Bytown Championship Wrestling) that was supposedly going to run a show that could afford the Young Bucks, RVD, James Storm, etc... isn't gonna happen

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh that reminds me - Janela double booked himself and is no longer going to be able to do the match where he and Nick Gage take on the Faces of Fear

I had no idea how badly I wanted to see this until now.

That said, I expect that the match would be mostly terrible (though Barbarian was in great shape and could still go last time I saw him).

53 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I had no idea how badly I wanted to see this until now.

That said, I expect that the match would be mostly terrible (though Barbarian was in great shape and could still go last time I saw him).

Yeah, Barbarian looked fine for us (Cleveland Knights) last weekend. Kick of Fear on Shawn Phoenix looked like a million bucks.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I should set up a Canadian Indie Thread just to let @Marty Sugar rant about all the dirt bags who try to run shows.

Yes this is my way of saying that BCW (Bytown Championship Wrestling) that was supposedly going to run a show that could afford the Young Bucks, RVD, James Storm, etc... isn't gonna happen

The big concern now is Canuck Pro Wrestling out of Alberta that's promoting monster shows without a single local and planning to run all the big Canadian cities: Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver...Saskatoon. And all in venues that hold less than 200 while charging $25-$100 a ticket. Their one big title tournament weekend  has already had 3-4 name changes but they've also been prattling on about this November show since at least March.

For example, their December show in Langley (aka Vancouver):

21743222_489429198099454_510800608425883

Only locals are the Voros Twins and they didn't even know they were booked...

Honestly? I would love to see more wrestling succeed, but I just can't fathom it working in the slightest. Even if a major, major money-mark is behind this, it simply isn't remotely sustainable. Even if every ticket was $100 in Langley (which it is NOT), and even if they could get 200 in that building (which they claim the can but they CANNOT), that $20,000 can barely cover flights and POs for these guys. It is not fucking cheap to fly to Canada, and they lose a good 20% of what they're making converting everyone's POs to American money. Several Vancouver promotions looked at that very venue and dismissed it as a waste of time; Indies where 200 (again, which they are saying this building can hold but it can't with a ring in there) is a sweet fucking crowd.

Not to take anything away from the Canuck Pro money mark, which is very much a topic worth discussing, but I've got similar fears about Black Label Pro. I have tickets to their show next week and will be trekking about 3 hours to get there. Janela cancelling on the weirdest dream match ever seems pretty unsurprising to me. Does anyone with people in the Indiana indy scene know who is promoting this thing?

To be fair, judging a show based on one indy wrestler canceling isn't fair. Guys double-book themselves all the time because wrestlers usually act like kids at Christmas when it comes to bookings.

Matt Riddle is a great example: he readily admits  he says YES to almost every booking than later tries to figure it all out. Which is not only dumb but pretty rude.

I'm pretty much of the mindset at this point that pro wrestling in the Pacific Northwest, including British Columbia, is completely and totally fucked, even more so than it had been before.  

I'm not going to go into heavy detail since it'll result in public burials of people I know personally, but the point of diminishing returns was reached a long time ago.

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I'm pretty much of the mindset at this point that pro wrestling in the Pacific Northwest, including British Columbia, is completely and totally fucked, even more so than it had been before.  

I'm not going to go into heavy detail since it'll result in public burials of people I know personally, but the point of diminishing returns was reached a long time ago.

Really? I'd love to hear your take. I see BC doing well from my end of things, and Washington suddenly has wrestling again that isn't just the garbage indies out in the boonies.