DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

On 06/06/2017 at 4:46 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can anyone imagine what they'd be like if the Briscoes were actually from the south? I'm only one state north of the Briscoes. Granted, once you get into south Jersey, it's like another state compared to the urban North Jersey and the suburbs of Central Jersey. I've absolutely seen people like the Briscoes in south Jersey.

You realize there are places in North Western Jersey that are basically South Carolina, right?

6 hours ago, jstout said:

The dog is the star of the new video.

I'm just a country mouse - haven't been out of the sticks of Tennessee much - but when I went to upstate New York about 10 or so years ago, the first thing I noticed was "holy shit, this is just like home." There were big satellite dishes in yards (back when they were a thing), Larry the Cable Guy stickers on every truck, broken-down cars in every yard. I was like "no matter where you are, there you go."

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Whether they're in the south or not doesn't matter much.  States in Maryland and Deleware are as southern as it gets.  In MD Cecil County is called "Ceciltucky" due to the people that live there.  And there's parts of southern MD that are very southern.  I'm not certain about Sandy Fork but I'm very certain DE's got plenty of southerners living there.

Yeah, in my experience, it's really more about "rural vs urban" than it is "south vs north."  I've lived in Baltimore and I've lived out in western Carroll County and the difference is stark.  In the smaller town where I lived for a bit, I saw wannabe good ol' boys flying the confederate flag.  There were more hicks there than in parts of Texas I've been to.

• Like 1

I could go on about other places in MD like that (Westminster especially) but I don't want to derail the thread on my end much further.

But the Briscoes were with ODB because there were against The Kingdom.  She was brought in to counter Maria and they got Cole/Bennett (or was it Bennett/Taven?)  She still did a match or so for Women of Honor, but with Impact probably not the case anymore.

I grew up in rural Arizona, which may as well have been the Deep South; just a whole lot drier. I live in California now, and there are areas out here that are the exact same: Bakersfield, the Inland Empire. Much like @NikoBaltimore mentioned with Cecil County, Fontana, California -- population 200,000 -- backs up against wilderness, hosts an annual NASCAR race and has the nickname "Fontucky." 

ODB is awesome. Such a terrific gimmick that really stands out. I was watching a lot of Impact around the time of the Main Event Mafia angle (it was a dark period; I wasn't tuned into WWE much post-Benoit and into the PG transition, but I still had a wrestling itch) and ODB was consistently one of the company's redeeming qualities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

ROH posted Samoa Joe vs Austin Aries from Final Battle 2004 (when Aries won the ROH Championship from Joe) on YouTube 

One of the great moments of early ROH. At least to me, it was a total shock that Aries was the one to take down Joe.

• Like 2

Oh man, I remember this vividly. I had just started following ROH in the summer that year and was certain Joe was dropping the title to Punk, either as the culmination of a King's Road kind of story arc, or by turning Punk full heel and having him break the Code of Honor to finally beat Joe. Reading the Final Battle results the next day was the first time booking had truly shocked me since Austin's turn at X-Seven. 

• Like 1

Been a while since I've seen that match.  I love how relatively simple it is.  Sure, Joe gets to kick out of the 450, but at that point in his reign, I think he'd earned that.  That same type of match today would feature about fifteen 2.9 counts, at least 2 huge spots that looked better than the actual finish, and enough thigh slaps to turn their quads into burger.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EVA said:

That same type of match today would feature about fifteen 2.9 counts, at least 2 huge spots that looked better than the actual finish, and enough thigh slaps to turn their quads into burger.

This perfectly describes the BOSJ final between Ospreay and Kushida.

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 6:45 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Chuck Taylor makes his TV debut (not counting Impact) with his Best Friend Trent also Rocky Romero in the opening match this week on TV.

I just saw the match and it was awesome. I totally marked out at the finish.

For those of you that saw this week's syndicated show, specifically Marty's title defense:

Spoiler

Why couldn't they have had an ROH regular get that win? 

Could've given that one to Dalton Castle.

BC comes to attack after the match, every other guy on the roster comes to chase them away. Hell, have Silas Young and Cabana come in for respectful handshakes. Crowd would've come unglued.  

10 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Have Rocky, Trent, and Chuck ever worked together on a PWG card? 

No.

1 hour ago, Hail Sabin said:

not sure when Romero last worked PWG.

2014.  PWG booked the Forever Hooligans a few times in 2013, and Rocky worked some singles dates for PWG after the Hooigans broke up.

13 hours ago, zev said:

For those of you that saw this week's syndicated show, specifically Marty's title defense:

Hide contents

Why couldn't they have had an ROH regular get that win? 

Could've given that one to Dalton Castle.

BC comes to attack after the match, every other guy on the roster comes to chase them away. Hell, have Silas Young and Cabana come in for respectful handshakes. Crowd would've come unglued.  

Presumably

It was a contractual thing where they owed NJPW a title win, maybe in exchange for the War Machine tag run, I dunno.

Enjoyed the match well enough.  The handspring dropkick attempt into the chickenwing was BOSS.  I watched Marty Scurll this week and thought "I bet he'd be a Top 10 wrestler if hired by WWE who would likely train him to stop all the nonsense and everything would be a lot better".

11 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

The Bullet Club vs RPG Vice/Chuck Taylor match was loads of fun. Have Rocky, Trent, and Chuck ever worked together on a PWG card? They could go a lot of different directions with this jealousy angle. 

A little too much schtick for my liking.  The part where Romero was doing his corner clotheslines and tried to clothesline his partners, so they had to pick him up and drop him so he'd clothesline his opponents instead of his teammates made me roll my eyes so bad I saw the back of my couch.

This week's episode featured something so incredibly stupid that really pissed me off: a heel beat the crap out of the referee after a match. Unless you are doing a thing where the heel is going to be gone for a while and this leads to a "suspension" this is totally stupid idiotic booking. Referees should NEVER be physically abused unless you want to kill any shrewd of credibility your promotion has, especially when it's done as a throwaway with no repercussions like severe punishment in the storyline.