DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

I was actually floored by how decent Cheeseburger-Ferrara was.  There were a couple clunky spots early on where it was clear one guy wasn't where the other guy was expecting and it threw them off but by the end of the match, the crowd was super into it and it was pretty great.

7 hours ago, caley said:

I was actually floored by how decent Cheeseburger-Ferrara was.  There were a couple clunky spots early on where it was clear one guy wasn't where the other guy was expecting and it threw them off but by the end of the match, the crowd was super into it and it was pretty great.

I liked it a lot better than the main event, which was just 15 of everyone waiting around like goofs to take each other's moves.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a wrestler whose wrestling is more ill-suited to his character than Adam Page?  Comes to the ring with a leather jacket and noose, calls himself the Hangman, is pushed as a badass, evil heel, then does shooting star shoulder blocks, moonsaults off of stages, and a front flipping clothesline into the ring (Which he got caught on and stumbled and then both guys just stood there looking at each other for a moment).  If I were running ROH, I'd make him watch Bunkhouse Buck matches and tell him he's not allowed to leave his feet until there's a big enough match to warrant it.  I think he's actually a solid character, decent promo, interesting guy, but his wrestling completely feels out of character.

• Like 1

Who says a badass evil heel can't do moonsaults off stages? Its a new era, times have changed. But I get cha they call him the closer of the Bullet Club he storyline ran Adam Cole outta ROH, he had a strap match with Kazarian, he shouldn't be doing flippy dippy moves. 

1 hour ago, caley said:

Is there a wrestler whose wrestling is more ill-suited to his character than Adam Page? 

Silas Young would get my vote.  Whoever the real "Last Real Man" is,  I doubt he does a lot of flips.Silas might be my favorite wrestler if he just cut promos and did heel shennanigans.  His moveset seems completely out of sync with his character (though he has toned it down some over the years).

The only problem I had with Cheeseburger vs Ferrera is that it was treated like a blow off to a feud in terms of action which is kind of bad given that was their only match.  but yeah it was definitely better than the main event

I think Adam Page is perfectly fine with his character given his build.  Sure someone called the "Hangman" should probably be the size of Bubba Ray but it doesn't have to be.   I do hate that shooting star shoulder block though.  Have no idea how that is supposed to "hurt" someone besides the person doing it.  But I think Page is much more credible at a Bullet Club member than a Marty Scurill who is a comedy wrestler whether he knows it or not

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Nice of MiSu to fly out to the States to have another in long line average Cody matches.

I might want to check out the tag title, tv title, and Lethal/Silas match. I'm glad Alex Shelley finally gets an ROH title reign. He would have one 10-12 years ago if not for TNA. I was a huge Shelley fan during the Gen Next and Embassy days.

Just now, hammerva said:

They really are throwing all of their eggs in the "Daniel Bryan wrestling for ROH next year" basket.  Unfortunately there isn't a credible world title contender in ROH

Not at the moment. There will be if Aries returns.

11 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Nice of MiSu to fly out to the States to have another in long line average Cody matches.

Seriously, I flew out to Vegas for THAT?  Fuck this promotion and fuck everyone that can't figure out how to properly time a goddamn show.  If you're running long, CUT SOMETHING DOWN.

!@^%!@^%!@^%

And barely a quarter of that crowd hit Kaze Ni Nare.  Y'all motherfuckers need tapes.

On the bright side, the crowd wasn't NEARLY as annoying with the chants and Bullet Club baloney as I thought, even though the face/heel dynamic was completely fucked in any BC-involved match.  The nWo at their height never got this bad, and I think it's going to be years before we see how much damage has truly been done by it.

Cody is the Jinder Mahal of ROH.  I'm sorry, but the dude is not top-champion material, and barring a major mindset or look change, won't be.  All he's shown to me on the indies is why WWE never pushed him past the Intercontinental title.  He's STILL not a smooth worker after all this time, and still can't cut a money promo.  He needs to figure out if he's going to be a serious heel or a goofy heel, and stop bouncing between the two.  

How long do the TV tapings usually go?

• Like 1

Cody was Cody here, but I feel like he was far from the biggest problem with that match.  Casting Suzuki as a face against him was a strange proposition to begin with, that played against what people like to see from him and what Suzuki himself actually does well at this late point in his career.  You also have to allow for the fact that Suzuki can coast through a match with ZFG with the best of them, and he clearly looked not all that interested in the goings-on here.

• Like 1

Side note - ROH announced that they will yet again run Supercard of Honor in New Orleans during WrestleMania weekend.

It appears they will be running head to head with NXT Takeover

It all depends on if the WWE sticks with the formula they used this year - HoF on Friday, Takeover Saturday, Mania Sunday

2 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

On the bright side, the crowd wasn't NEARLY as annoying with the chants and Bullet Club baloney as I thought, even though the face/heel dynamic was completely fucked in any BC-involved match.

I seriously don't get why ROH books Bullet Club to be heels.  None of them really care enough to act like heels, and the crowds treat them like faces.  They can still be heels in NJPW while being faces in ROH.  The way things are now, anything they're involved in in ROH is barely watchable.

5 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I seriously don't get why ROH books Bullet Club to be heels.  None of them really care enough to act like heels, and the crowds treat them like faces.  They can still be heels in NJPW while being faces in ROH.  The way things are now, anything they're involved in in ROH is barely watchable.

The really awful part is the Cody vs Daniels match on TV.   Daniels and Karazian is cutting a heel promo about how much of a mark the fans are.  I assume the main reason was because they knew Cody would get cheered.   So Cody mostly works as a babyface.  Every week after that he has been a heel who hates the fans and now doing this "kiss the ring" thing.   So what was the purpose of having Daniels turn like he did.   Meanwhile it seems like they are going to feud more with the Bullet Club.