DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I just threw up in my mouth.

That is  kind of a strange response for the signing of a backup quarterback when the starter is never injured.  I could be a back up quarterback for the Giants, and play as much as Geno is likely to play.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

When this is the year Eli is injured - I am coming to your house

I was saving this for something particularly stupid done by the Dolphins, but sharing is caring:

fUwS313.gif

• Like 1

The Giants also re-signed Josh Johnson today

So right now their backups are Geno Smith and a crippled Josh Johnson

I am thinking I am going to have to figure out the all time worst backup core. It is gonna be mighty tough

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am thinking I am going to have to figure out the all time worst backup core. It is gonna be mighty tough

Remember Curtis Painter?  Geno is a more than competent backup quarterback.  He's arguably better than multiple quarterbacks who are going to start next year.  I'd rather have Geno than Bortles, Osweiler, Goff, or anyone on the current Jets, Bears, 49ers, or Texans rosters.

16 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Remember Curtis Painter?  Geno is a more than competent backup quarterback.  He's arguably better than multiple quarterbacks who are going to start next year.  I'd rather have Geno than Bortles, Osweiler, Goff, or anyone on the current Jets, Bears, 49ers, or Texans rosters.

You might be alone on that one. Geno in 2017 will be three years removed from playing more than a few games a season and has a worse QB Rating than Bortles and Osweiler. Although, I will give you that he is better than Goff.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

You might be alone on that one. Geno in 2017 will be three years removed from playing more than a few games a season and has a worse QB Rating than Bortles and Osweiler. Although, I will give you that he is better than Goff.

Geno is bad, but Bortles is terrible.  His biggest talent is putting up huge numbers after games are lost and out of hand.  His receivers are great, and they'll make plays if he gets the ball anywhere close.  Bortles is the very definition of empty stats.  

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Minnesota's QB group in Peterson's rookie season was Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb, and Brooks Bollinger.

Pick any two you'd like as the backups. . .not sure it would make much difference.

I can't say anything bad about EJ, he did everything the Bills asked him to do and never complained. He never should have been a first round pick, his game had too many holes in college and he just didn't improve enough to be a NFL-starter quality QB consistently (even though he had flashes of goodness here and there). He may end up being an August 31st cut, but I'm glad he is at least getting the chance to play somewhere else.

He also got paid a lot more than he should have, so he has that going for him if he saved. Imagine if he was a 4th or 5th rounder and washed out in 2 years.

• Like 1

Good time to mention the movie Gleason then. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's fantastic but count on the room being really dusty when you watch it. 

• Like 1

Apparently the Competition committee is proposing shortening regular season OT to 10 minutes (from the current 15)

Why?

Battista reported the committee believes there is a "real disadvantage" for a team playing an entire 15-minute overtime period before having to turn around and play a Thursday night game the following week.

This league is so fucking stupid

• Like 4

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

Josh McCown gets from a 1 year $13M contract from the Jets  

The gift that keeps on giving :lol:

ESPN says 1 year, 6 million base salary, 125k bonus for every regular season game started, so 8 million max.

Jelani Jenkins was signed by Oakland.  This is only significant in that it now only leaves Dion Fucking Jordan as the sole survivor of the horrific 2013 Miami Dolphins draft. 

The Dolphins announced earlier this week that Dion Jordan will be cut before the season starts.

In summary, fuck Jeff Ireland. 

• Like 1