DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

There are reports that teams have actually reached out to the Browns about acquiring Osweiler. What team in their right mind would want him? He's been completely exposed as terrible so why would you say "let's get this guy"?

• Like 1

If you listen to the press release about the Brock trade, they don't give a shit that they acquired Osweiler.  They are treating the 2nd round pick like they acquired the 1st overall pick.  I mean you think it would be something since as of 8:26PM today he is their #1 QB

27 minutes ago, sabremike said:

There are reports that teams have actually reached out to the Browns about acquiring Osweiler. What team in their right mind would want him? He's been completely exposed as terrible so why would you say "let's get this guy"?

I legit do not understand why any pro team other than the Browns would acquire the guy, and I only understand it with the Browns because it is their lot in life to cause pain and suffering to their own fans forever, apparently.

• Like 1

Supposedly the Browns are shopping Osweiler and a late round pick this year for a 3rd rounder next year (and also offering to cover half of Osweiler's salary). They're still bullish on trying to get Garappolo but the Pats have only asked for the 1st overall pick (which is LAUGHABLE). Browns have 2 1st rounders this year, 2 2nd rounders this year, 3 2nd rounders in 2018 and would have 2 3rd rounders in 2018 if they can find a taker for Osweiler. If they throw a few of those picks New England's way the Pats would be fools to turn it down. 

To me the Browns overpaying with draft picks for Garappolo would be like the Seahawks signing Matt Flynn for a ton of money.  The team is in rebuilding mode and not expected to be any good anyway.  Why not keep your draft picks and build a good young team?  If Brock has to be your starter for a year, so be it.  Maybe there is a slim chance he won't totally suck again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, badfish69 said:

To me the Browns overpaying with draft picks for Garappolo would be like the Seahawks signing Matt Flynn for a ton of money.  The team is in rebuilding mode and not expected to be any good anyway.  Why not keep your draft picks and build a good young team?  If Brock has to be your starter for a year, so be it.  Maybe there is a slim chance he won't totally suck again.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

5 hours ago, badfish69 said:

Well I guess the feeling is they need to get the QB of the future sooner rather than later.  Especially now that they have upgraded the o-line.  Now is Garappolo the guy?  Who knows.  If you can do the 12th pick and a leter pick for him it is worth exploring since the QB's in this draft may be an uninspiring lot

I have a lot of chatter that the stockpiling for Garappolo is nonsense since the Browns already had the picks needed to get him so why add Brock's salary (however much that ends up being) to the cap just to get Jimmy G

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I have a lot of chatter that the stockpiling for Garappolo is nonsense since the Browns already had the picks needed to get him so why add Brock's salary (however much that ends up being) to the cap just to get Jimmy G

They are wwwwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy under the cap.  They can take on that salary and not have to worry about the rest of their spending.  Apparently their strategy with Osweiler is to trade him away for more picks and agreeing to pay some of his salary.  So another team can get Osweiler at a discount, but the Browns get more picks, which is what they want.  The plan is to trade for him and then trade him away without really giving anything up but a 4th round pick and some cash they had to use any way.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They are wwwwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy under the cap.  They can take on that salary and not have to worry about the rest of their spending.  Apparently their strategy with Osweiler is to trade him away for more picks and agreeing to pay some of his salary.  So another team can get Osweiler at a discount, but the Browns get more picks, which is what they want.  The plan is to trade for him and then trade him away without really giving anything up but a 4th round pick and some cash they had to use any way.

That's what you get when you put a "Moneyball" type guy from baseball in charge, "the Process".

The Cutler to the Jets thing would make me laugh, but I've been reading articles for a few days now speculating that the Jets were going to be the one standing when QB musical chairs came to and end, and their best option was looking to be re-signing Geno Smith to start.  Lol, Smith played college ball at my alma mater and I thought he was a nice enough kid, but he also struck me as a "system guy" and a little too sensitive to be a starter in the NFL.  I'd like to see him go to a smaller market as a backup, but he apparently wants to be a starter, so....  If I had to pick possible destinations for Smith, "Stay with Jets.  Be barbecued by media and fanbase" would be #32.

Not sure what would make Cutler go to the Jets.  Desire to be sacked and thrown to the ground by large men several times a game?  Considering how much money he's made in his career, I'd call it a day and play with my kids before I went to a hot mess of a non-contender.

Kinda feeling sorry for Romo unless they really do have a trade in the offing.  Can imagine Dallas not getting a good offer for him, and releasing him after the contenders have already moved on to other QB's.

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Honestly, Geno Smith didn't even lose his job because of his play.  He lost his job because a teammate punched him in the face.

No he got punched in the face because his play sucked.   You can punch your asshole QB (not saying he is one) in the face if he isn't in the top 25 of the NFL

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

No he got punched in the face because his play sucked.   You can punch your asshole QB (not saying he is one) in the face if he isn't in the top 25 of the NFL

Naw, he got punched in the face, because he invited that dude to punch him in the face.  If you owe somebody money, don't pay them, and then ask, "What are you going to do about it?," that person should be allowed to beat your ass with no repercussions.

• Like 3

I never really felt Geno definittely owed him the money, assuming his excuse was legitimate (the other guy had convinced Geno to attend his summer camp, and paid for Geno's plane ticket.  Geno cancelled at the last minute to attend a friend's funeral), but the classy thing would have been to just reimburse the guy.  And not to taunt the dude.  Or alienate the locker room to the point no one present felt compelled to jump in on your behalf.

I'm not a Jets fan but I followed the Jets pretty closely since Geno was a WVU guy.  My opinion is that he would have won the job in training camp, then played himself out of it once the games started mattering (inasmuch as a Jets game ever truly matters).