DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Is there anything that Michael K. Williams is in that isn't solid gold?  I am ridiculously addicted to Black Market on Viceland right now.  I should finish Season One during this weekend's binge watching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Every week This Is Us makes me feel like the worst Dad to ever Dad. And I continue to assert, to my wife's disagreement, that no Dad looked like Milo Ventimiglia as Jack Pearson in the 80s. NOPE. 

I think my mental opposition to watching the show with my significant other ("Do I have to?  It is sooo sappy...") comes from sitting down and coming to the realization that Jack Perason's parenting skills shame my own.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think my mental opposition to watching the show with my significant other ("Do I have to?  It is sooo sappy...") comes from sitting down and coming to the realization that Jack Perason's parenting skills shame my own.

He seriously makes any dad I know look like dog shit and his husband skills seem even stronger! I can't decide if I'll be elated or utterly heart broken if he turns out to have fucked up big time in the end. Most likely heart broken, as I am a giant sap. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

He seriously makes any dad I know look like dog shit and his husband skills seem even stronger! I can't decide if I'll be elated or utterly heart broken if he turns out to have fucked up big time in the end. Most likely heart broken, as I am a giant sap. 

Well, considering all 3 kids have him on a pedistal and Rebecca still wears the necklace, it's not likely.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 2:51 PM, J.T. said:

Is there anything that Michael K. Williams is in that isn't solid gold?  

Something video game related just came out that probably isn't. 

Reminds me, he was in Brooklyn's Finest and I forgot about that for the longest time. Love that movie. 

Feud

Done by Ryan Murphy

Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis

Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford

And I guess "limited series" is the new way of calling things that used to be called a miniseries

Sherlock as a show started missing something the second Moriarty died. Let’s be honest.

*Moriarty turns up dancing to Freddie Mercury and makes one of the best entrances in TV history ever*

*Me * “This is superb. This is amazing.” 

*’5 years ago’ subtitle flashblack appears*

*Me* “Oh, right. And now I’m sad because I understand what this show is missing now. And why it can’t ever truly be the same.”

Brilliant and depressing at the same time.

The problem with the finale, essentially. 

• Like 2

The show is missing the brilliance and charisma of Andrew Scott, but it is better off without Moffat / Gattis's Joker-esque interpretation of James Moriarty.

Euros Holmes was a better version of Moriarty than Jim Moriarty himself and then the writing betrayed her with the deus ex machina ending of the season finale.

This season of Sherlock has been the perfect mingling of what is best about the creative team of Moffat & Gattis and what is worst about them.

21 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

They write themselves into corners and can't get out of them, basically. . . 

Which is sad because you can easily note from the excellent dialogue that they both LOVE to tell the stories.

We're used to incredulity being stretched to its breaking point, but we've usually been rewarded for our patience with a decent detective story or two. 

The ratio of OTT : Proper British Mystery has been out of synch this season.

At least Mrs. Hudson had more than her fair share of badass moments these last three episodes.  If only Molly had been treated with such respect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EVA said:

So THE GOOD PLACE...

Hide contents

is actually The Bad Place.

Ted Danson was legitimately creepy in the moment he dropped the act and revealed himself.

This was both shocking yet made complete sense. Something seemed very off from the start. Was satisfied with the ending if the show is canceled or if it is brought back.

Spoiler

Back in the first episode and the concept of the Bad Place was explained, only Eleanor seemed really bothered by it. Micheal never seemed the least bit sorry there was a bad place. Micheal seemed too good to be true. Something about his naive angel enjoying human culture act felt off without being obvious.

The Good Place:

Spoiler

I know it's easy to say afterwards but that the good place was the bad place was actually my theory a couple of episodes in (the one with Tahani's flashbacks), but I gave it up as the people outside of the four main characters seemed to be legit good people. Though I thought the reason why Chidi was in the bad place was that he never actually did anything good, only spoke and written about it.

The only problem I have with the conclusion is that it does not make that much sense regarding Jason. His presence obviously was torturing the other people, but I don't really see how it was torturing him. Maybe they should have just went Sartre's way (Huis Clos - No Exit) and use the eternal triangle.

I highly recommend Amazon's SNEAKY PETE.  Back in the day (like two whole years ago!) JUSTIFIED had a strong following on this board, and if you were one of those people, you should definitely get in on this show, because it's basically the whole Justified writing/directing team behind it (after the 1st episode).

The premise is a con man steals his former cellmate's identity to infilitrate his rich grandparents' idyllic family in order to steal the 100k he needs to pay off Bryan Cranstons' big bad, Vince, and save he and his brother's life...only to discover that not only is the family not rich, they're all fucked up manipulators with secrets of their own.  The fun comes when "Pete"'s scheme starts causing everyone's secrets to start crashing into each other.  And, yes, there will be blood.

It does ask for the viewer to make a pretty big buy-in: that in 2016, with this thing called the Internet around, a family could be so disconnected over the course of 20 years, that none of them would know what Pete looks like as an adult, or anything else about him, for that matter.  But if you can get past the improbability of that, you're in for a tremendously entertaining ride.

If you do give it a shot, keep in mind the 1st episode isn't really representative of the rest of the show.  It was originally shot as a pilot for CBS, so it spends a lot of time setting the template for how the procedural, case-of-the-week element of the show will work, complete with Marius working with his cousin, Julia, in your standard "extraordinary man, pragmatic woman" team as skip tracers for the family bail bond business.  But all that is mercifully junked by the 2nd episode

I really want to sit down with Sneaky Pete but I thought Justified was wildly overrated.  Yeah, I'm that guy.  It did give Natalie Zea a paycheck and a reason to be on my tv though so I can't hate it too much.

Wife and I never saw the Good Place ending coming, even though it kinda makes sense if you think about what kind of people the main characters were in life.  We were blown out of our chairs.  Legit holy shit moment from us, followed by cackling laughter.  Lots of cackling laughter.