DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 1/1/2017 at 6:08 PM, Tabe said:

So I recently finished binge-watching all four seasons of Banshee.  If you haven't seen it, Banshee tells the story of an unknown stranger who comes into town to meet up with a woman from his past life.  He's just gotten out of prison after 15 years.  While sitting in a bar, the new sheriff of Banshee, Lucas Hood, walks in.  Before long, Hood gets into a shootout with some thugs and all end up dead.  The stranger takes over Hood's identity and becomes sheriff of Banshee. He pulls this off thanks to a hacker friend who is able to make him "become" Hood.  Hood then seeks revenge on the guy who sent him to prison as well as trying to take down the local former-Amish-turned-mob-boss thug.  The premise is ridiculous but they sell it well and it somehow works.

What Banshee has, besides a crazy premise, is TONS of fantastic, gory violence.  There's a sadistic edge to it and it's easily the most-violent TV show I've ever seen.  The violence often comes as part of FANTASTIC fight scenes.  There's at least one great fight in every episode.  Often they are man vs woman and the women are treated as absolutely equals - highly skilled, tough characters meant to be taken seriously.  One drawback is that EVERYONE in the show is some kind of super ninja, so that's a bit ridiculous but a minor quibble.

Along with the tons of violence, there's also lots of nudity.  The women are all gorgeous (Lili Simmons!) and on full display here.  

All in all, a fun show that is really good through 3 seasons and pretty good in the 4th.  I highly recommend checking it out.

And here's a fight scene from s3e03 that's easily my favorite fight ever:

Banshee is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.  It's funny because at first I thought, "this is just too violent" (the episode where Hood beats up the MMA fighter).  Then, much like a PWG match with 138 highspots, I found myself laughing at it and charmed by it, because the show knew exactly what it was doing, and that the violence was purposely over the top.  Excellent from start to finish, great characters and a pitch-perfect ending.  I can't recommend this show enough.  

"That's right.  Someone just blew up your fuckin' drugs."

Bless you, ABFF International on the Aspire Network aka The Earvin "Magic" Johnson Channel.

After weeks of films with plots that seemed to be pulled directly from the articles of Essence Magazine (...not a compliment...), you finally came through with the "Stranger Than Fiction" episode featuring sci-fi and horror shorts directed by African American directors.

There was a stop motion animated adaptation of Tailypo, a North American folk tale, that was particularly creepy.

16 hours ago, piranesi said:

Thanks, but no thanks, Roger Moore. I've been offered shiny trinkets by douchey travelling brits before. If you have any stolen land though!

Savage.

Also, I'd like to thank this board for always making me feel young.

• Like 1

Oh and it's a shame that all the All Star Family Feud talk got buried in the December tv thread when a lot of people weren't looking at it, so here's another - ROYALS vs PHILLIES!

The Jeffersons vs. The sorta Dukes of Hazard! Cledus, the telephone operator, Jeb Stewart Duke, Lulu Hogg & Huey Hogg! That's the game show equivalent of one of those old WWF house shows with a SD Jones vs. Black Demon main event. Gotta love the jokes toward "3rd Place" NBC, though.

A quick A-TEAM burst to take care of something I should have gotten to long ago.

First a little appetizer.  As usual, last night once the big bad of the episode showed up I knew we had our AW SHIT A-TEAM GOT THAT GUY!!!

In this case

MV5BMTQxNjU5NDE2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTMz Dr. Phil?  Line dancing???

Yeah, it's hard to tell in this view...but if we magnify and enhance...

magnify...and enhance...

quadrant three..magnify and enhance....

we get:

Spoiler

BevHillsCop_117Pyxurz.jpg

AW SHIT ATEAM GOT TAGGART FORM BEVERLY HILLS COP!!!!/THAT GUY FROM MIDNIGHT RUN
john-ashton-midnightrun-4.jpg

/THAT GUY WHO WAS ERIC STOLTZ"S DAD IN SOME KIND OF WODNERFUL (which is mainly just an excuse for me to post a picture of Duncan from Some Kind of WOnderful
somedvd3.jpg NOT TAGGART. DUNCAN!!!

Okay...hor's deourves or whatever over...now, and I should have brought this up a long time ago because it's great...but that voice you hear at the beginning bringing us up to date on how...if you have a problem.  If no one else can help.  And if you can find them.  Maybe you can hire..>THE A-TEAM!!

Does it sound familiar without looking it up...if I say does it sound familiar to fans of MST3K without looking it up that might help?

That voice belongs to one of the exec. producers of the show.  He got his start producing by serving as liason to the Philippines government for the cheapo shoots that used to work down there, especially the AIP movies.  I'm almost certain that's where the pilot for the A-TEAM was filmed, so maybe that's why he was a producer of that when the time came.

He worked as a producer on THE BIG DOLL HOUSE and APOCALYPSE NOW...roughly equal films in my opinion that both relied heavily on the wonderfully corrupt military of that wonderfully corrupt island.  In fact he was producer of a whole string of some great exploitation movies  BLACK MAMBA. SAVAGE SISTERS. BLACK MAMA WHITE MAMA. And he acted in some of them...because...and here's the payoff.  He started off as an actor.  And not just any actor. 

His name is John Ashley and he was the guy from THE ATTACK OF THE EYE CREATURES:

the-eye-creatures-06.jpg

The next time you watch that you WILL recognize that deep but slow and laconic almost slurring voice and this will all make sense suddenly.

Like a lot of heartthrob wannabes in the late 50s/early 60s he started in biker movies and beach movies and, of course, had to sing:

and ended up being a recurring face in the American International Pictures series of Beach party movies, usually playing 2nd fiddle to Frankie Avalon
Ashley+%25287%2529.jpg

He's the guy in the middle of this  circle jerk     white power rally    alt-right fantasy sequence     beach-party movie

Not to mention in those same Grindhouse movies he was helping to produce.  

FF to about 1:00 to see him in the magnificent BLOOD BEASTS

These are audacious movies that are like you asked an 11 year old kid to make a list of 100 scary monster things and then tried to make a movie with all 100 of them and then hired the 11 year old kid to direct. That is a business model that worked for awhile.  And so it makes sense that a show that is basically like freebasing sugar and and testosterone through an M16 barrel would stem, in part, from the mind of a guy who says things like this:

This is a terrible thing to admit, but maybe the key to my success with exploitation films is that I always LIKED those movies, and I never had any real reason to turn them down. I just enjoyed doing them.

That is a person with a heart, an understanding of what our most primal child-like minds crave at 8:00 central on a Tuesday night, and a desire to make a lot of money...and that is the recipe to help create the greatest show of all time...THE A_TEAM!!!!

• Like 1

Speaking of Girl Meets World, the special episode that aired last night was really fascinating. It's really interesting to see how much the show means to some people.

The show was flawed in a lot of ways, but I really think it did a great job of delivering messages without being absurdly preachy. 

And I think the finale is going to be something else, just judging from the photo that's been circulating online for a couple months. It has everybody, man. Including both girls that played Morgan on Boy Meets World.

The Handmaid's Tale

Still not sure how I feel about this. Funnily read the book twice for school (HS required AND College required) and enjoyed it but remember NOTHING about it

So, now that I've watched the Gilmore Girls :Year In The Life, and also rewatching the series, I also started listening to the Gilmore Guys podcast now and then. At least as much as I can take, sometimes those guys are way too "millennial" with how they look at things.) So because of this, I became aware of the fact that Bunheads was also a Palladino show. I had heard of it but didn't know anything about it. I started watching it and I'm at episode 5 of the 18 that exist. 

I love it. The pilot episode is perfect and just sucks you right in. Kelly Bishop is wonderful and Sutton Foster is amazing. The dance scenes are beautiful and its just a wonderful little show. 

I'm a sucker for the whole quirky little town dynamic that was all over the early 1990's. Northern Exposure, Picket Fences, Evening Shade..I even gave Key West a try, but it stunk. 

So where's Fowler? I'm sure he and I are among the only people here who love this. Come on Brian, come visit your people in Longmont and we can get together, have a few beers, and watch this shit and weep.

The "OH MAN! They brought HIM back for a cameo!!" was Jason siles. Despite everythign that went down between Richard Gilmore and Jason, for Jason to come to the funeral and talk in reverence of Richard was fantastic

James

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Handmaid's Tale

Still not sure how I feel about this. Funnily read the book twice for school (HS required AND College required) and enjoyed it but remember NOTHING about it

Hulu has their own old school dystopian society novel adopted into a series to match up against The Man In The High Castle on Netflix..

I await the appearance of The Chrysalids on Amazon Prime..