DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Well I will pretty much be focused on the Greatest Movie of All Time poll for the next month or so. Join Me.

Oh and we are taking my son to see Rogue One tomorrow for his birthday.

There is a 50/50 chance that will be the only movie I see in the theater until Episode VIII comes out

Last night we watched Die Hard. Somehow Xav hadn't seen it before. He couldn't believe all the smoking there was in the movie, and that right at the start John McClane was on a plane with a gun. The 80s were a different world. They had a ground breaking (for 1988) touch screen computer and it might as well have been from the Stone Age to a modern kid. Also, he didn't recognise Hans Gruber as Severus Snape until he spoke.

So for no reason, I decided to watch Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull today. I haven't seen it in years. It's regarded as a horrible Indiana Jones movie and most people shit on it. The first hour is good to great and really feels like a true Indiana Jones movie. Then they have that car chase through the jungle, then the CGI monkeys and ants show up, then they get to an underground alien burial ground, then a spaceship flies away. There's a reason this movie is shit upon. But for that first hour, it was really good. It was so disappointing to see it go completely down the pooper like it did because it was set up so nicely. I blame George Lucas.

11 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:
So for no reason, I decided to watch Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull today. I haven't seen it in years. It's regarded as a horrible Indiana Jones movie and most people shit on it. The first hour is good to great and really feels like a true Indiana Jones movie. Then they have that car chase through the jungle, then the CGI monkeys and ants show up, then they get to an underground alien burial ground, then a spaceship flies away. There's a reason this movie is shit upon. But for that first hour, it was really good. It was so disappointing to see it go completely down the pooper like it did because it was set up so nicely. I blame George Lucas.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Like 3

JJ Abrams and Vince Russo are basically the same person, working in two different industries. But one is considered to be a pariah and an idiot in his business, whilst the other is hailed as a genius. Which suggests Wrestling fans are smarter than movie fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Still doesn't compare to the ill treatment of Han Solo, and Lucas wasn't even involved. . . .

Ford had been wanting to kill Han Solo for decades, though.

We saw Passengers today. The specifics of the first half could have made for a sinister thriller like Under the Skin (in space), or a black comedy like War of the Roses (in space). This was okay as is mostly because Pratt and Lawrence are charm factories even when they don't have the best chemistry together. It's just  really strange that they even open the door for the movie being a creepy gender study just to pivot to a lazy third act. 

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Ford had been wanting to kill Han Solo for decades, though.

I think he's referring more to the fact that Han becomes a deadbeat who skips out on his family when things get tough.

Chewie's kind of a piece of shit for enabling him, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

I think he's referring more to the fact that Han becomes a deadbeat who skips out on his family when things get tough.

That's not entirely out of character though, for who he was at the start of the trilogy. I mean, have you ever known anyone who was a selfish arsehole who turned over a new leaf and decided to be nice from now on, and a few years later they'd backslid into being an utter arsehole again?

2 hours ago, AxB said:

That's not entirely out of character though, for who he was at the start of the trilogy. I mean, have you ever known anyone who was a selfish arsehole who turned over a new leaf and decided to be nice from now on, and a few years later they'd backslid into being an utter arsehole again?

Great, now I just realized that Lone Starr and Princess Vespa didn't have a chance either. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EVA said:

If the Christmas special is still canon, Chewie was always a deadbeat dad. 

So back from Rogue One (if I decide to put thoughts about that out I will do it in the proper thread) but we were having ice cream afterwards and going over the cast because my Father-in-Law apparently missed EVERYONE's names

So I pointed out Forrest Whitaker and he goes "Oh I like Forrest Whitaker"

I asked "Oh did you see him in something recently"

And my father-in-law goes "Yeah - Ghost Dog"

Totally not the answer I was expecting him to say

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Your father in law has suddenly become my favorite person in the world.

You will also be pleased to know that he loved Kubo and the Two Strings (which we gave him for Christmas)

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Great, now I just realized that Lone Starr and Princess Vespa didn't have a chance either. Thanks.

It's ok, Lone Starr and Vespa are still together, happily ever after.

Source? Mel Brooks hasn't ever said that they split up.

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Han Solo's whole gimmick is that he's a piece of shit that sometimes tries to do the right thing, maybe, if you talk him into it. I mean, if you watched the original trilogy and missed that, god bless you man. Star Wars isn't that complicated.

At the beginning, yes.  The whole point of his character arc through the OT (and really, even just the first movie) is his journey from being self-centered asshole only out for himself to being a true hero who will put his skin on the line for the greater good. To have him revert to being a self-centered asshole (and really, a worse one because now he's abandoning his family) completely invalidates three whole movies of character growth.

And the same thing happens with Luke.  There is zero chance the Luke from ROTJ runs away and hides up his own ass when Kylo breaks bad.

Like, what was the point of the OT movies after TFA?  Very little of it turned out to matter in the long run.  Half the main characters were basically sent back to square one, all so JJ could do his cute remake of ANH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I am watching Streets of Fire and it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. If I had caught this on Sat afternoon TV when I was 12, it would have been in my top 3.

Is it at least top 20 now?

Well, the rest of my night is set. Ninja III: The Domination is coming on right now on StarzEncore Action and in half an hour BLACK CHRISTMAS comes on The Movie Channel East. Get your DVRs hooked up if you're reading this

EDIT: Lucinda Dickey looks just like Ronda Rousey in the face. Weird

EDIT II: Black Christmas is as good, if not better, than Halloween. That's not a joke. Note-perfect suspense? Check. Strong and empowered female lead? Check. A focus on POV camerawork and "less is more" to not just shock you but keep the undercurrent of fear rolling? Check. All it's missing is John Carpenter's score, and that is suitably exchanged for the constant wind effects, unsettling Xmas music, terrifying phone calls... and dead silence. 

Bob Clark went on to direct Porky's, A Christmas Story, and Baby Geniuses. Yep. 

Put this in your eyeballs if you haven't already. You need to.

EDIT III: It's on again at 3;30 AM Central if you are out there

• Like 1