DVDVR Message Board

NXT JANUARY 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Gorman said:

Yes -- I announced that match for IWC at "Accept No Limitations" on 11-13-2004. It was for Joe's ROH title as well.

Couldn't find that match, but found this from earlier that year.

• Like 1

Hero just needs some tights and he'd look perfectly fine. I'm surprised he's back under the Ohno name, but it makes sense because he's been in this version of NXT before under that same name, so... it's just weird, because they already have one KO, and it's the current Universal Champion. But, oh well. I'm excited either way.

Is Tye's match at Takeover confirmed to be who we think it is? I've heard it might be someone else in Sanity, the spoilers I read wasn't clear.

6 hours ago, w. josh said:

Did Ryback temporarily kill the singlet? Off the top of my head, Damo, Hero, David Finlay, and Trent Seven are all prominent pasty chubby dudes in tiny trunks that would look a whole lot better in a Varsity Club getup. I don't care about dudes being muscular, but yeah, dress for your body type.  

DAMN IT.  FAT GUYS IN TINY TRUNKS BEATING UP LITTLE DUDES IS ONE OF THE FEW THINGS I STILL ENJOY ABOUT PRO WRESTLING.  WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, w. josh said:

The worst thing about Tommy's new name is how many misspellings of it we'll have to see on this board. 

I thought Tommy End would be just a big enough name to be able to keep his name, but at least this isn't an Oney Lorcan situation. I'm cool with this.

According to Tommy's twitter profile you all already spelled it wrong. It's Aleister Black.

Speaking of big men in tiny trunks, they also finally had a hoss fight at last night's NXT house show:

HA! Even better as I'm reading the show results now.

The show opened with Dory Funk Jr (yes you read that right) cutting a promo with Sanity coming out to threaten him. Wesley Blake and Heavy Machinery made the save.

19 minutes ago, The Z said:

Big Damo underwent a name change, too, apparently. He's going by Killian Dain now.

C1q_1GZXUAE_Xnn.jpg

He is going to have to update his Instagram :-P

Tommy End definitely got the better name change. I'm in love with his name, can't wait to see him on NXT TV. I wonder how toned down his gimmick will be. That name is already sinister as hell.

Killian Dian is... uh, yeah. That's a name.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Tommy End definitely got the better name change. I'm in love with his name, can't wait to see him on NXT TV. I wonder how toned down his gimmick will be. That name is already sinister as hell.

Killian Dian is... uh, yeah. That's a name.

Killian Dian is slightly less worse than Oney Lorcan.

Love they are going back to new names. That is the way to do it. I think it is more fun for the audience that way. If you know who these guys are, good for you. If you don't, well, here is a hook.

NXT has definitely lost some of its magic. That is to be expected -- it's hard for any promotion to keep its big run going, especially when it also serves the purpose of developing people for another show. And doubly so when that roster gets swiped due to the Raw/Smackdown split.

But the bringing in indie/Japan dudes under their old names and how they have usually been packages was really boring and lazy. 

• Like 1

My main problem with NXT right now is their inability to develop episodic stories with how they tour and film now. It feels like we've gotten so much retread between the big shows. The second Brooklyn and Toronto shows were primarily rematches and, while the matches delivered, there was very little development of any of the stories between the shows which were three months apart. That's a long time to tread narrative water.

Yeah, you can definitely tell a difference since Ward was promoted. On the other hand, if this means that the next guy up in Ward's spot means he'll eventually get as good as him, then it's a plus.

What was Ryan Ward's background anyway? He's the best guy in creative since Chris Kreski.

• Like 1