DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That would be far more interesting to me than watching Reigns win again.

And I think Roman's 1st win was a far more predictable year than this year.

Especially if all the folks who have matches are not going to be in the Rumble

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Why would Reigns win the Royal Rumble if he was already winning the Universal title that night?

They have to set up "Reigns wins the Universal Title, then challenges for the WWE Title" in a way to prepare for "Reigns wins and holds both World Titles, beating Cena and Undertaker in the same night at Wrestlemania to hold them both", don't they?

I think Bray Wyatt is more likely than Jericho or Balor (the latter because I am still not convinced he will be healthy enough)

And Braun Strowman is the favorite in my mind

I know this might sound like I'm taking things too seriously but I truly believe AJ Styles deserves to be in a "main event" match at WrestleMania.  Not necessarily the final match on the card but something important.  It would be pretty ridiculous to bump him back down into a midcard feud and right now it looks like that may very well happen.

I'd rather Shane stay home and be a family man. Let's say Taker and Cena are married and Braun and Reigns are married. Owens probably faces Jericho. Rollins is married to Hunter.  Where does that leave AJ? It sucks that the best guy in the company may be shifted down into some "ehhh whatever"  feud.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'd rather Shane stay home and be a family man. Let's say Taker and Cena are married and Braun and Reigns are married. Owens probably faces Jericho. Rollins is married to Hunter.  Where does that leave AJ? It sucks that the best guy in the company may be shifted down into some "ehhh whatever"  feud.

Under those specific conditions, I either

a) Call up Nakamura or Joe ASAP and marry them to AJ

or

b) Find a convoluted way to make people care about an interpromotional AJ vs Balor match for custody of the Club.

The first option is far more realistic. The time for caring about the Club has come and gone. That said, they have options available for AJ if they want to pursue them. 

Whether they go there, I couldn't say. 

Unrealistically, I again mention HBK. If HBK don't want none, there's always Kurt Angle who so desperately wants some. 

Strowman winning the Rumble would be cool.

its been 11 years since someone won at number 1, have Sayn be the first entrant have him win the Rumble. Owens retains against Reigns. Then at Mania, Main Event, Zayn beats Owens for the universial title.

If Balor is healthy enough to return at the Rumble, make him the surprise number 1 entrant, have him win it. Owens retains. Then build towards Owens vs Balor with Balor looking to take back what is his, the title he never lost and had to give up. Balor wins at Mania in the main event. You got a new star.

on the SmackDown side I don't know who could win the Rumble. If Cena wins and breaks Flair record blah blah blah then I see Undertaker winning the Rumble. But that doesn't help anybody and who really wants to see Taker win the Rumble. Cena vs Taker doesn't need the title. 

I've heard rumors that Joe might debut on the main roster in the Rumble match. I'd say just pull the trigger have Joe take it, join SmackDown and face AJ for the WWE Championship at Mania. AJ vs Joe for the WWE Champuonship in the main event at the Orlando Mania would be really cool and a nice little F.U. to TNA.

i just want them to do something unpredictable in the Rumble this year the last 3 have been very underwhelming.

Royal Rumble to me was clearly John Cena's to win, until it was announced he was challenging for the belt at the Rumble. That, in theory, eliminates Reigns & Cena from conversation. That leaves the following "real" options.

Raw: Jericho, Rollins, Strowman, maaaaybe Zayn if we are really stretching.

Smackdown: Ambrose, Miz, Ziggler (ha), Wyatt, Orton, Harper (ha), and the biggest "ha, no way" a returning from surgery Shelton Benjamin?

Part Timers: Taker

NXT Call Ups?: Joe, Nakamura.

I'm being very loose with "real" options. Out of that list, only Jericho's long term payoff is probably against Owens, Rollins is gonna be with Trips, just about anyone on the Smackdown list that isn't Wyatt or Orton seems very odd, and Orton even feels off. 

So that brings my top 6 to winning the Rumble to Strowman, Undertaker, Joe, Nakamura, Wyatt, and... umm Zayn? So it's really a top 5 to win the Rumble. 

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Under those specific conditions, I either

a) Call up Nakamura or Joe ASAP and marry them to AJ

I have seen those ideas floating around and there's no question that either match would probably steal the show but it still shows WWE's lack of foresight. The ship has sailed on Rollins.  He's over and he'll probably always be over but he's not going to be a megastar. Roman Reigns is in the same boat.  I think AJ still has a chance to be THE guy they've been wanting to be the next Cena, etc..  and he should be the one at the very top of the card.

The Shield collectively in my view are more valuable than the three of them on their own.

• Like 1

Well Raw also has Fastlane.

As much as they like Strowman right now, I'm not sure they like him enough to have him win the Rumble. But I'm open to being surprised. 

I'll co-sign the ship having sailed on getting a transcendent, crossover star out of the Shield. But they did get three credible and capable perennial main eventers who the audience is willing to invest in to a certain degree. I call that a success.

Mentioning the Shield though, it occurs to me that we've all let Ambrose slip through the cracks in our Mania booking. Which is why I kind of want Taker vs AJ and Cena vs Ambrose on the SmackDown side. Fresh all around and it takes care of everyone who needs to be taken care of. 

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have seen those ideas floating around and there's no question that either match would probably steal the show but it still shows WWE's lack of foresight. The ship has sailed on Rollins.  He's over and he'll probably always be over but he's not going to be a megastar. Roman Reigns is in the same boat.  I think AJ still has a chance to be THE guy they've been wanting to be the next Cena, etc..  and he should be the one at the very top of the card.

The Shield collectively in my view are more valuable than the three of them on their own.

I think Ambrose has more value than Rollins and Reigns as a singles but I just watched the triple threat with AJ and Cena on the Network so my opinion might be tainted. AJ really ought to be the man- he's just too good not to be. Age would be a factor why not, but AJ at 40 is so much different than Hogan or someone like that, so if he could stay healthy I see no reason why not

• Like 1