DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

4 minutes ago, Thibs said:

TNA seems to be getting away from the flippy-flop stuff so WWE is probably the better spot at this point-- no pun intended.

They barely used him last year so its no surprise. 

Technically they barely used anyone last year.

• Like 2

May have spoke too soon about them getting away from the flippy flop stuff....

Anthem Media has come to terms for Jeff Jarrett to return to TNA, PWInsider.com has confirmed.   We are told that Jarrett will be at this week's TV tapings, as will his wife Karen Jarrett. 

Jarrett, one of the original founders of TNA alongside his father Jerry Jarrett, resigned his position from the company in December 2013.  At the time, Jarrett held the position of Executive Vice President of Development/Original Programming and his departure was seen as a huge shock at the time.

Jarrett would go on to form Global Force Wrestling while still a minority shareholder in TNA, which was seen as an embarrassment to TNA at the time.  There was such an anger about that from Carter's end, that, at the time TNA brought back the six-sided ring, numerous sources told PWInsider.com that it was done because Carter felt Jarrett would do it within GFW, so it was TNA's way of cutting him off at the pass. 

As it turned out, Jarrett was brought back in 2014 as part of a deal that saw him inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame as part of a deal that saw Dixie Carter acquire his shares in the company, giving her, at the time 100% ownership.  At the time, though, it was a deal that was done so that she had complete control and could attempt to find new partners without Jarrett's interference, something that led TNA down the road to Aroluxe, Billy Corgan and finally Anthem Media.

Only, Anthem decided to turn to Jarrett.

The re-emergence of Jarrett was pointed to this morning as a sign that Carter was completely out in terms of decision-making as the pair had at times, split the loyalty within the company between their two sides and had a number of falling outs over the years, including a time period where Jarrett took time off from the company, during which Carter let go Jarrett's entire support staff at the time, including Dutch Mantel, Savio Vega, Jim Cornette and Brian "Roaddogg" James.  

"There is no way [Carter] would have allowed Jeff to return," said one source who spoke under condition of anonymity.  "This is proof that she is done."

The return of Jarrett makes him something of a Steve Jobs figure within TNA as like Jobs, Jarrett was forced out/walked away from something he created, only for that same entity to reach out seeking his assistance in righting it.  Anthem reached out to Jarrett last month and held a number of meetings with him as they did their due diligence prior to officially announcing they had acquired Impact Wrestling yesterday.

We are also told that Dutch Mantel is already in Orlando and is expected at this week's tapings, which certainly lends credence to the idea that Jarrett will be helping behind the scenes in terms of creative as Mantel was always one of his top lieutenants in that regard in the past.

We are also told that this does not mean the end of Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling promotion, which has been working to establish a TV deal in conjunction with "American Ninja Warrior" production company A. Smith & Co. Productions in Los Angeles.

Mixed feelings. I thought the creative was pretty good for the most part last year. 

If this leads to Jarrett back on TV, Tenay reading scripts at the announce desk, and the return of the red batman phone, count me out.

On the other hand, he was super aggressive in recruiting talent. Maybe if he sticks to doing that and Dutch oversees creative this could work. 

19 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I always liked it when Dutch was overseeing creative back in the day, so I'm pretty optimistic about this.

Was there ever a time he was overseeing things though? IIRC, it was always Russo and Dutch, with Jarrett being the tie-breaking vote whenever disputes came up. 

I just hope he's open to new things like the Hardy stuff and doesn't just go completely old school. 

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I saw Anthem and thought, "The same people that provide me with health insurance also own The Fight Network?"

I am old and dumb.

Or, I am a genius as it would be pretty awesome to be able to be on the TNA roster and get a discount on health care benefits because you're a company employee.

Part of my job is to work with Anthem directly.  I can assure you, they are shadier and shittier than any wrestling promoter out there. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Part of my job is to work with Anthem directly.  I can assure you, they are shadier and shittier than any wrestling promoter out there. 

Vince and Ian Rotten are still alive, so I refuse to believe that.

• Like 2

From the WON that just came out

As of right now, Drew Galloway isn’t scheduled until 1/7 which means he’ll miss both the TV and the PPV. He had bookings scheduled with What Culture Pro Wrestling in the U.K. and he’s their heavyweight champion and he’s changed dates on them in the past several times and didn’t want to do that again because of how well that company has treated him. His contract is up in February. He’d make sense for New Japan but New Japan hasn’t been aggressive when it comes to signing new talent, because they have so many guys and Suzuki-gun in said to be returning. TNA wants him to sign an exclusive deal. ROH has interest and all the top U.K. groups don’t want him to sign an exclusive with TNA, since that would mean they’d have to go through TNA instead of him to get dates, and if TNA does start running house shows, that would make it difficult to get him. He and the Hardys are the key contracts coming up in the first quarter. Not sure Jeff’s expiration date but it is sometime in February. Matt’s contract expires on 2/27.

TNA has tried to sign both to exclusive deals, but the Hardys make so much doing indie shows that it’s going to take a lot of money to do that. The Hardys, particularly now with the gimmick, are the biggest deal in the promotion. The thing that helps is that Matt & Jeff are pretty much doing their own creative right now. Matt’s gotten a new life as a performer after starting to become a nostalgia act. Jeff was already one of the biggest indie names but it’s freshened his name up. But WWE does want them and there’s huge merchandising potential for them with the gimmick in WWE. If they were used regularly they’d make a lot more there. The schedule is much harder in WWE, and at their age (and with Matt about to have a second kid and not having any financial issues with life outside WWE) and in Jeff’s case with all his injuries, so there are advantages for both sides. Plus, in TNA, it is a lock they’ll be the most pushed or one of the most pushed acts. In WWE, they could get lost in the shuffle since WWE, rightly, is very much looking at building stars for the future rather than focusing on older wrestlers. But WWE is the place to be and Matt gets chants at WWE and especially NXT house shows regularly. So those negotiations are going to be very interesting. The description right now regarding both Hardys is that things are early in the negotiations. Matt, in particular, is likely going to try and angle for more influence on the creative end for the big picture product.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Gosh, I really hope that leads to a three day long discussion about whether or not signing with the WWE for $20000 is better than working for TNA.  

Well, if his WWE contract is 2000 dollars a year for 10 years, but the TNA contract would've been 20 grand for 5 days worth of tapings...call it a draw?

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And did anybody else do a double take when Dave wrote About WWE focusing on creating new stars?

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny.  WWE wants to create new stars, but they'll happily throw them all under the bus for whatever late-90s star they want to give a rub to.

That said, I would mark out a Broken Hardys vs Wyatt Family feud.

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Did I just read that Jarrett is a Steve Jobs type figure?

J-E-Double F won't be happy with that, he probably thinks "Steve Jobs" was his production notes to Sting back in 2008.

In all seriousness if Jeff's return gets a step closer to Don West back on my TV then go for it.

If they can somehow write off everything from The Bischoff / Hogan era until present, Dallas style, with Matt Hardy (V1) waking up in bed, hearing the shower and finding Shark Boy in there, then I'd be pretty much okay with that. It was all just Matt's wacky nightmare. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

In all seriousness if Jeff's return gets a step closer to Don West back on my TV then go for it.

If they can somehow write off everything from The Bischoff / Hogan era until present, Dallas style, with Matt Hardy (V1) waking up in bed, hearing the shower and finding Shark Boy in there, then I'd be pretty much okay with that. It was all just Matt's wacky nightmare. 

My first thought when I heard Jarrett was returning was that it might mean the return of Don West. You'd assume Scott D'Amore wouldn't be far behind, and I seem to recall he was head booker of the knockouts when that division was at its peak. Also, isn't Chris Masters one of his GWF boys? Get it done JJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

J-E-Double F won't be happy with that, he probably thinks "Steve Jobs" was his production notes to Sting back in 2008.

Shouldn't it be Jeff Jarrett instead of Matt Hardy?