DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

5 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

So, we about to rename the thread into Dumpster Fire territory, because if cubsfan is right, this is getting better and better.

What did cubsfan say? I'm hoping that it's "Craig Carton bought GFW a few days ago".

• Haha 2

Per Meltzer

Yesterday, Global Force Wrestling announced that Jeff Jarrett, who was running the wrestling end of GFW and is part owner of the company, was taking an indefinite leave of absence from the company to deal with personal issues.

According to those close to the situation, the personal issues aspect of the story is legitimate and the public story is accurate.

It was clear that the decision was not something he knew about in advance because he sent out a tweet that morning talking about going back into the office to start a day of work. He was scheduled to host a party for the company staff at his home that day, which ended up being canceled.

However, others in the company were aware of the decision for at least a week.

There were a long list of reasons involved that date back several months including a screaming match with Bob Ryder at a television taping. Although issues between the two were settled quickly, it was said the situation was very bad when it happened. Another was Reby Hardy's admission of receiving unprofessional drunk text messages revolving around her going public on the Broken Hardy intellectual property conflict. The messages had gotten around to some in the company.

It appears the breaking point had to do with Jarrett's behavior at this year's TripleMania. Jarrett was said to be not in shape for wrestling and stumbled down the ring steps (although, he wasn’t the only person on the show who had trouble with the steps), doing little wrestling in his match. Ed Nordholm, Executive Vice President of Anthem Sports & Entertainment, was on the trip and made the call to remove Jarrett. 

A Potential Sale

Justin Barrasso of Sports Illustrated reported Wednesday that with Anthem losing significant money, sources close to the situation say Anthem is ready to pull out of running a wrestling company and is ready to sell. Sources in the company denied that, but that type of story is also always going to be denied until it happens for the obvious morale reasons, and also because even those at the top would not be in the loop on a sale.

As noted in the Observer Newsletter last week, the company's inability to get a new U.S. television deal is hurting them because it’s clear the company can’t grow financially while on Pop TV and their current situation doesn’t appear to have any other way to make money. After testing the waters with three house shows in the Northeast (one of which was canceled and neither of the others drew well), no future house shows are on the schedule, nor is anything past the television tapings in November after Bound for Glory.

The creative has improved under Jarrett, particularly the quality of the show stemming from the last television tapings. Most of the damage was done prior to his return, but the new storylines haven’t led to any kind of a ratings increase. In the big picture, that’s a moot point with GFW having signed with Pop for another year, ensuring they have television. However, they aren’t going to be able to make any serious money off it. So, from a business standpoint, things will remain tough.

WWE's interest

Barrasso noted the value in selling to WWE, which would acquire a tape library that could be used for the WWE Network and other projects since it contains footage from WWE main roster talent like A.J. Styles, Samoa Joe and Bobby Roode. When Dixie Carter was in talks with WWE in the past (denied to those in the company at the time), it was about selling the tape library as WWE had no interest in anything outside that.

An added wrinkle is that the intellectual property the company claims ownership to includes the Broken Hardy gimmick, which would remove any obstacles of the Hardys using the gimmick in WWE. It isn’t clear who else would be interested in buying their assets, although just a few months ago, musician and former TNA creative member Billy Corgan was interested in taking over the company. 

Because all the paperwork on the GFW merger with Impact Wrestling hadn’t been completed, any sale talks would be regarding the Impact Wrestling name and not the GFW name. However, the feeling is that, for the time being, it makes no sense to do another public rebranding so the GFW name will continue to be used on television.

Who's In Charge?

The creative side of the company for the time will be led by John Gaburick, who was in charge under Carter, along with Scott D’Amore and Sonjay Dutt. Gaburick being in charge of wrestling is interesting since there was a lot of heat and criticism from when he was in charge in the past. All the key people on the creative end were either brought in specifically by Jarrett (i.e, Dutch Mantell and Jim Cornette) or those who are longtime friends of his.

Jarrett had been on television doing a feud with American Top Team head Dan Lambert, although when Alberto Rodriguez (El Patron) was suspended, the pre-taped television wasn’t changed when it hit air. Jarrett was also scheduled for a package that was put together before he was let go with he and Jeremy Borash commenting on the recent Sexy Star situation from TripleMania.

If the Lambert angle even lasts past Bound for Glory, it can be easily transferred to Cornette as the GFW authority figure since that’s also been pushed on television. However, that could change depending on what happens with Cornette and Mantell. One company source said the decisions regarding both men were up in the air, and in the case of Cornette, there was at least a feeling of downplaying or not having an authority figure going forward. If authority figure angles are done away with, that changes a lot of the creative direction.

Similarly, the future of Karen Jarrett and Bruce Prichard are up to the new creative team. To complicate matters, Karen was working in the office and whether that continues is also up in the air.

http://www.f4wonline.com/tna-news/inside-jeff-jarrett-gfw-anthem-sports-situation-242346

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

What did cubsfan say?

He quoted the part from Meltzer's story about Nordholm making the call to remove Jarrett because he was drunk at TripleMania

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

That's....um..... quite a leap you made.  It's just as likely that Karen is likely to keep ending up with husbands who have substance abuse problems as long as she keeps getting involved with pro wrestlers.

Angle's substance abuse problems are mostly from his complete lack of self-preservation.  Jarrett's got all sorts of reasons why he would be a drinking--wrestling in Memphis for years during the territory system; wife passing away; working for TNA for years; he's a redneck.  Karen could be a factor, but not necessarily the catalyst.

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

So, we about to rename the thread into Dumpster Fire territory, because if cubsfan is right, this is getting better and better.

As much as I'd like to rename this TNA/Impact/GFW is a cockroach and somehow stumbles into the following year.  At this point I won't believe they're finally done until it happens.  But at least this time around they don't have Broken Hardys to save their ass.

Jesus Christ,  Dixie Carter really was the Saddam Hussein of TNA.  

From the outside it looked like a complete incompetent/sleazy shitshow, but somehow, she did just enough to keep it moving along.  She gets removed from power and the wheels come flying off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Angle's substance abuse problems are mostly from his complete lack of self-preservation.  Jarrett's got all sorts of reasons why he would be a drinking--wrestling in Memphis for years during the territory system; wife passing away; working for TNA for years; he's a redneck.  Karen could be a factor, but not necessarily the catalyst.

Isn't it fairly widely reported that TNA/Impact/GFW is quite the party crew with lots of drinking after the shows.  IIRC, Lance Hoyt's big push/reaction was from going out drinking with fans.  Also Angle talked about their being a lot of drinking after shows there, didn't he?

Let's put an end to the TNA/Impact/GFW saga for good.  Please.  Think of all the great retrospective documentaries we can get out of this on WWE Network.  Kurt Angle will be like "My whole TNA run was an alcoholic haze.  I thought I was demoted to Velocity the whole time."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

From the outside it looked like a complete incompetent/sleazy shitshow, but somehow, she did just enough to keep it moving along.  She gets removed from power and the wheels come flying off. 

Oh she kept it moving along right.  The product moved to 3 or 4 different TV channels because of her stupidity

• Like 2

Serious question; if TNA/Impact/GFW closes now... will Old Man Carter have to give Dixie a job at Panda? Because if so I can see Panda reps driving a Beagle Boys-sized armored car of cash to buy from Anthem.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Makes sense. Both were kept afloat by oil money. Liberators thought turning things around would be easy. President singularly focused on one issue (Broken Hardys and WMDs). Both liberators given bad intel (Jarrett was informant curveball).

I'll see myself out.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Makes sense. Both were kept afloat by oil money. Liberators thought turning things around would be easy. President singularly focused on one issue (Broken Hardys and WMDs). Both liberators given bad intel (Jarrett was informant curveball).

I'll see myself out.

Couldn't think of a better Baghdad Bob than Ryder.

Anthem's basically the Fight Network right?  I recall when Anthem rescued the company during that Corgan lawsuit, it just seemed to come out of nowhere.  Like why the heck was this company buying out TNA of all things? A company that was getting a quarter of the best ratings it ever did on Spike TV and was cancelled from two networks.  

From latest reports, it seems that shunting JJ to rehab is as much Anthem trying to extricate itself from this as it is about him.

I dunno, unless Jarrett has been showing up every day blotto, a fifty-year old ex-wrestler/executive having to go dry out for a month or two after hitting a low point in Mexico doesn't seem like the end of the world. I hope he gets hope, but Anthem using this as an excuse to get rid of him or dump the company is also a little skeevy. 

It's a sad state of affairs when a Nigerian prince like the Most Rev. Dr. Great Power Uti doesn't want to buy Impact. I mean the only thing Dixie never did was go for the whole "my American friend, I just need some money to free up these millions of dollars I have here..."