DVDVR Message Board

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey (12/30/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Brings up a valid point about the conflict of interest in WME representing Rousey, too. I would post all the tweets, but there's like 13 of them. He draws the same parallels as I did with this to the McGregor situation at UFC 200. 

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Brings up a valid point about the conflict of interest in WME representing Rousey, too. I would post all the tweets, but there's like 13 of them. He draws the same parallels as I did with this to the McGregor situation at UFC 200. 

Not really since that would mean that not talking to the media would make that financially advantageous for Rousey. You can't argue that's it is risky and then say it's a conflict of interest. Plus, you think Lorenzo or Dana ex nay that if Zuffa still owned the UFC? I seriously doubt that considering the relationship between the parties. There would probably be a lengthy discussion, but likely ends in the same result.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, he went to the trouble of having his doctor clear him and then have his doctor get him cleared by the NAC at the wire. It seemed like that was going to happen, but the commission decided against it. If you don't want to fight, you just pull out of the fight.

Except this way he can save face and say it was the commission that pulled him, considering all the past issues he's had being forced to pull out of fights due to injuries, including a heavyweight title fight earlier this year.

Occam's razor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Except this way he can save face and say it was the commission that pulled him, considering all the past issues he's had being forced to pull out of fights due to injuries, including a heavyweight title fight earlier this year.

Occam's razor. 

That doesn't make sense because people can say the same thing either way. If he was in adequate shape to fight, the commission wouldn't have pulled him. It would be different if it was something like what went on with Rashad in NY (and subsequently Ontario) where they found something he has been fighting his whole career with. In that case, Rashad can save face because it looks like New York is playing super safe in their first big time MMA event. Nevada, having knowledge of Cain's injuries for 2-3 weeks, made a call that you cannot fault them for making. They understand the financial incentive for Velasquez, but at the same time, they cannot clear someone whose condition hasn't improved just five days away from a fight. So if there is any blame to be had, it's going to be on Velasquez.

Looks like Brandon Thatch vs. Niko Price has been moved to the FS1 prelims while Stun Gun vs. Saffiedine is now a part of the PPV main card. Means vs. Cowboy Oliveira will be the lone Fight Pass fight.

There is word going around that this will be Mike Goldberg's last show. Not sure how reputable the source is, but it makes sense giving that it's the last show of the calendar year and we've already heard they're searching for a replacement.

Some good commenting on those Youtube vlogs. My favourite below - Garbrandt eating chocolate & smores sandwiches while bambi-ing around the ice rink probably won't be a good hindsight-look if he loses this one:

"Cruz is running on Christmas like a savage preparing for war and like a champion and Cody thinks he's gunna ice skate with his girl and take that belt ... You crazy"

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Some good commenting on those Youtube vlogs. My favourite below - Garbrandt eating chocolate & smores sandwiches while bambi-ing around the ice rink probably won't be a good hindsight-look if he loses this one:

"Cruz is running on Christmas like a savage preparing for war and like a champion and Cody thinks he's gunna ice skate with his girl and take that belt ... You crazy"

So Garbrandt couldn't have hit a treadmill sometime during that day? If anyone thinks a whole training camp or approach can be defined in 90 seconds on Embedded or a Countdown show, I doubt any explanation on how flawed that is will be satisfactory.

On 12/24/2016 at 8:42 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

That doesn't make sense because people can say the same thing either way. If he was in adequate shape to fight, the commission wouldn't have pulled him. It would be different if it was something like what went on with Rashad in NY (and subsequently Ontario) where they found something he has been fighting his whole career with. In that case, Rashad can save face because it looks like New York is playing super safe in their first big time MMA event. Nevada, having knowledge of Cain's injuries for 2-3 weeks, made a call that you cannot fault them for making. They understand the financial incentive for Velasquez, but at the same time, they cannot clear someone whose condition hasn't improved just five days away from a fight. So if there is any blame to be had, it's going to be on Velasquez.

If I was into gambling, I'd say bet the house on Dominick Cruz.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If I was into gambling, I'd say bet the house on Dominick Cruz.  

You quoted the wrong post so I'm a little confused.

I'm not arguing about who is going to win a fight. I am talking about how people want to use a small fraction of an Embedded to determine who is going to win or lose. That's downright retarded. I'm not a big believer in holidays, but the dude went out with someone he cares about on Christmas day like you know....the rest of the country. How the fuck does that play into a fight especially knowing that Dominick Cruz is open about not caring to make a ton of friends? I'm surprised they caught him out with his training partners. Yeah, the dude who is anti-social is going to be on the treadmill next to his dog on Christmas day. Both activities are not completely indicative of how someone's EIGHT WEEK camp went. 

There are reasons why McGregor would only let them film his movement training in his Embedded segments. Partly to show off his athletic party tricks, and partly to trick people into thinking that that was the only training (or at least, the majority of the training) he was doing.

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

There are reasons why McGregor would only let them film his movement training in his Embedded segments. Partly to show off his athletic party tricks, and partly to trick people into thinking that that was the only training (or at least, the majority of the training) he was doing.

Even if he had an open workout on video for every week in camp, you still would need to put together some coherent logical analysis based on McGregor and his opponent. If you're looking at a fighter and saying something like, "Fighter X crosses his feet in this video frequently and I think Fighter Y can exploit this bad habit based on...", that makes enough sense to have some type of pick. If you're just basing something solely on intangible shit like "He wants it more" and "Nobody can out train him", you might as well be the drunk guy at the sports bar picking someone based on the color of their shorts. You would be about as successful.

• Like 1