DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 22: VanZant vs. Waterson (12/17/2016) - Sacramento, CA (Golden 1 Center)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

You know both Dominick and Cody are really unlikable pricks.  I guess you are rooting for the ones with the better ability   

Naw, they are both obnoxious little shits. I just give props for Pee-wee Herman references. FWIW: I think this is the first time I've heard two MMA guys arguing about their fucking ties. Give me a fucking break, both of those rags were $9.99 at Macy's.

I know he is still young and needs tons of work but I love seeing Mickey Gall taking out all of Dana White and the MMA media's golden boys.  If he can get a win over Connor or a Diaz I want a statue built for that fucker  :D

Although I did enjoy Sage showing some fire in there.  His balls might have dropped on that fight 

Oh come on Gall you can do better than Dan Hardy <_<

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I know he is still young and needs tons of work but I love seeing Mickey Gall taking out all of Dana White and the MMA media's golden boys.  If he can get a win over Connor or a Diaz I want a statue built for that fucker  :D

Dude, Dana found Mickey Gall (well technically Lou Neglia did but you get the point) on the Lookin for a Fight series. They knew he was gonna beat CM Punk. They're trying to build him up.

Also, as I said, Gall is about 1-2 years away from being able to beat a solid, mid tier welterweight. Anyone with takedown defense has a shot to upset him. It's going to be hard to find viable, low level opponents for him. Sage was at the level he is at. Every other notable WW is above not only Sage but Gall as well. Hence, why Gall is talking about 155.

Just now, OSJ said:

Dan Hardy??? WTF??? C'mon kid...

Who could he beat though? Every solid to decent WW of value beats Mickey Gall. He's extremely green. We're basically watching him develop and have fights he should be having in Ring of Combat or CFFC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, Dana found Mickey Gall (well technically Lou Neglia did but you get the point) on the Lookin for a Fight series. They knew he was gonna beat CM Punk. They're trying to build him up.

Also, as I said, Gall is about 1-2 years away from being able to beat a solid, mid tier welterweight. Anyone with takedown defense has a shot to upset him. It's going to be hard to find viable, low level opponents for him. Sage was at the level he is at. Every other notable WW is above not only Sage but Gall as well. Hence, why Gall is talking about 155.

The biggest problem Gall is going to have is that he is the exact wrong size.  Lightweight and Welterweight are full of really good, tough, well-rounded mixed martial artists.  There just aren't that many dudes who aren't at a much higher level than him.

Just now, twiztor said:

well, except for the retired former title contender turned analyst he just called out

I doubt Hardy is coming back to fight him. Plus, I don't know if Gall fares better at 155. He's a big WW and the middle tier at LW is just as tough.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The biggest problem Gall is going to have is that he is the exact wrong size.  Lightweight and Welterweight are full of really good, tough, well-rounded mixed martial artists.  There just aren't that many dudes who aren't at a much higher level than him.

I don't know if it is the wrong size as it is he shouldn't be in the UFC just yet. It's crazy that the other day I was watching Tom Duquesnoy, a guy who probably could be beating top ten bantamweights in the UFC (or just about everyone in Bellator at 135), still in BAMMA. Mickey Gall and Sage Northcutt are having a co-main event on Fox when both should be in feeder leagues working on their game. Even if he was at HW, I still think it takes 18-24 months for him to beat anyone decent. There are bad heavyweights, but MMA has gotten to the point where a ton of bad fighters are competent enough to pull off upsets.

• Like 1

There's very little logic in MMA as to who gets pushed and who doesn't. I quite agree that both Gall and Northcutt should be refining their skills in the feeder leagues. I think UFC is just paranoid in their hurry to create new stars, as MMA stars tend to not have a long shelf life. If Rousey loses (as I think she will), they've got the rather uncooperative Conor as face of the company, good luck with that. 

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't know if it is the wrong size as it is he shouldn't be in the UFC just yet. It's crazy that the other day I was watching Tom Duquesnoy, a guy who probably could be beating top ten bantamweights in the UFC (or just about everyone in Bellator at 135), still in BAMMA. Mickey Gall and Sage Northcutt are having a co-main event on Fox when both should be in feeder leagues working on their game. Even if he was at HW, I still think it takes 18-24 months for him to beat anyone decent. There are bad heavyweights, but MMA has gotten to the point where a ton of bad fighters are competent enough to pull off upsets.

Yeah, neither of these guys are Jon Jones or Ronda Rousey.  They are damn good prospects, but not exactly ready for the big time. 

OMG. They broadcast a few minutes of TMZ Sports, I feel like my IQ dropped twenty points in the two minutes that babble was on. Don't tell me that people actually watch that shit.

I think Waterson is undersized at 115, but she got it done fairly quickly.

21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, neither of these guys are Jon Jones or Ronda Rousey.  They are damn good prospects, but not exactly ready for the big time. 

Northcutt has so much working against him. Crazy Marv Marinovich type father. Not too many great gyms to train at in Texas. He's a college student who doesn't have to worry about money so whatever he makes in the UFC is just icing on the cake. In addition, his fight IQ isn't the greatest. Outside the UFC, he can look like a capable and good athlete. In an organization where you have more than enough good athletes, that's going to be a problem.

Gall, on the other hand, is already with a good gym and shown himself to be savvy in certain spots. The conundrum the UFC is facing is it's clear he is at a certain level, and it's not at a level where he can beat even an average welterweight. It's hard to build a dude when you know can throw a dart at any name on the WW board and pick someone who can beat him. Sultan Aliev, who won earlier on the card, could probably beat him. I don't even think Aliev is going to make it above the FS1 prelims in the UFC unless he's there to be a showcase opponent. Aliev is tough enough where a fight with Gall is going to be anything but a showcase for Mickey Gall. I think tonight, folks are already going to be leaping off the Gall train just because he looked green as all hell at points. For the UFC to make this worthwhile, they have to stop that and the only way to do that is put him against garbage opponents. However, that's only wasting main card space.

• Like 1

I do wonder seriously if Northcutt was focused on the wrong sport. Yeah, I know the family history yadda-yadda but from an outside perspective, he seems a very well-rounded athlete. Not necessarily a great fighter, I really think the kid is probably too nice and too well-off outside of fighting to be a truly great fighter, I just don't think he really has the mean streak necessary. At his age it's probably way too late to start chucking a football or hitting a fastball, but I don't see a long career for him in MMA.

29 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I do wonder seriously if Northcutt was focused on the wrong sport. Yeah, I know the family history yadda-yadda but from an outside perspective, he seems a very well-rounded athlete. Not necessarily a great fighter, I really think the kid is probably too nice and too well-off outside of fighting to be a truly great fighter, I just don't think he really has the mean streak necessary. At his age it's probably way too late to start chucking a football or hitting a fastball, but I don't see a long career for him in MMA.

I mean I just started watching the Jets/Dolphins game and moments ago saw Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Wake almost split Bryce Petty in half. I mean...I dunno if I see Sage Northcutt in that type of position and doing well.

I think he's good at competition karate. Other than that, I think it's that you can't force him to get certain things at it relates to MMA. I mean there are quite a few nice guys who do well in MMA. The nicest dude in the sport, Demian Maia, is in the same division. Yeah, you're going to get the Mike Perrys of the world who can put people in the hurt locker real quick. However, mean streak or not, you need that team around you as well as the motivation to succeed. I think he's got motivation, but it's not enough to overcome so many deficiencies. I believe it's the same with PVZ. I mean Justin Buchholz has shown himself to be a decent coach. With that said, he certainly ain't the dude to turn Paige VanZant into a legitimate, perennial top strawweight. It ain't happening anytime under his tutelage. Anytime your coach wants you to turn into your opponent while you're locked in a tight body triangle, the instruction you're receiving is not the greatest.

Sage went to Tristar for a brief cup of tea. It didn't work out. He went to help Woodley prepare for Thompson at Roufusport and then came back to train at Mohler MMA. He's basically living the life of a glorified sparring partner except he lives in a giant house with his parents and drives a nice looking car. Living in Katy, TX and going to school part-time, who's going to mentor him to want to become something better? If he was working with a Matt Hume, Brandon Gibson, or Duane Ludwig, I would feel more confident that I'm seeing the best Sage possible. Hell, I would even take a Trevor Wittman or a Robert Follis who both been in the game coaching for a minute and put together respectable careers.

14 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Awesome win for Waterson, great to see her back. Good win for Gall as well. Hated to see Aldana lose and very surprised Leslie beat her but a very impressive performance from Smith.

Aldana can learn something from that fight though. She made good adjustments after round 1. Now she knows that people are willing to not give her space to operate. Plus, improving her defense as she throws her punches is going to be key. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So time for Waterson to get a UFC title shot?

She is probably 2 wins away. I am not sure what's next for Joanna. I'm surprised Joanna isn't facing Jessica Andrade.