DVDVR Message Board

Best Commentating Teams

23 hours ago, zendragon said:

Tony's 89-90 WWF run is highly underrated. Plus shout out to that guy 2016 talking about Eddie Kingston is a great commentator, anytime he's been in the booth in AEW he's been great

Tony was awesome in the WWF. It's a damn shame he left.

At least we got he and Jesse again in WCW. Great duo.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1

Tony isn’t my favorite. His voice sounds like sick cat or something and he was such a puny little runt minus the charm of a puny little runt whose a game show host or something. I did like him with Heenan though, especially once Mongo and Tenay joined because of how they ganged up on Heenan. I know many people weren’t fans of that to the extreme but it was refreshing to finally see face announcers just flat tell a heel announcer to shut up or that he was stupid lol!

I love Tony Schiavone just for the NWA/WCW event calendar on Saturday night and the way he pronounced Magnum T.A. ("MUGNUM TA!)

Tony and Bob Caudle on the syndicated shows were  fine team I think.

Has no one brought up Solie and Piper? That rreally was a case of one guy having a respect for the other so when Piper's face turn happened it was believable

James

Edited by J.H.

Lance-love all around!  He and Bobby Heenan are my all time favorite wrestler/wrestling personalities of all time.  

Joey Styles solo and Joey Styles with Don Callis are far and away my two favorites post Lance.  Also, much love to Dave Brown.  Very underrated.  I dig Corey Maclin too.    

gm6.jpg?resize=500,382&ssl=1

this right here. I miss having guys who were pro wrestling veterans call the action. It gave it a sense of credibility with guys who could give a plausible explanation for what you were seeing at all times. This team is the gold standard for my wrestling commentary booth.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

gm6.jpg?resize=500,382&ssl=1

this right here. I miss having guys who were pro wrestling veterans call the action. It gave it a sense of credibility with guys who could give a plausible explanation for what you were seeing at all times. This team is the gold standard for my wrestling commentary booth.

They were at their best on the MSG Network, just rolling up their sleeves and calling the undercard matches. Jesse was so relaxed, calling Gorilla "Gino," and you could tell they just enjoyed the hell out of each other.

• Like 4

On 6/4/2021 at 3:47 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Lance-love all around!  He and Bobby Heenan are my all time favorite wrestler/wrestling personalities of all time.  

Joey Styles solo and Joey Styles with Don Callis are far and away my two favorites post Lance.  Also, much love to Dave Brown.  Very underrated.  I dig Corey Maclin too.    

Callis taps into that classic Heel Color Analyst Bullshit that Heenan made me fall in love with so much.  He's a welcome addition to the AEW booth whenever I catch him there, even with my reduced interest in the allies he's there to boost.

and yes, Callis and Styles were a bright spot of ECW's dying days

Edited by BobbyWhioux