DVDVR Message Board

MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana (9/23/83)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

It's a bit of a bummer to know that I have seen the #1 match only a short way into the set.  I thought this match was quite powerful as well, and I have to nod along to what others have posted.  I wasn't watching the match thinking THIS IS AWESOME THIS IS AWESOME (like the Midnight Express/Rose & Somers bloodbath), but it was a very brutal, bloody match.  I did like the old lady trying to help out at the start of the match.  The moment of Emmey-Essey-Uno coming to terms with his head-shaving toward the end was effective as well.  I'm sure I will need to watch this match again as I ended up watching this in small pieces over the course of a few nights.  I can see why it should be considered #1 on the set so far, but I'm only 7 matches in.  I have to say I wasn't totally sold on Chicana's floppy selling.  I understand the blood loss and exhaustion, but some of that selling seemed a bit gratuitous at times.  But to be clear, I thought this match was very, very good, and it will stick with me for a while.

• 1 month later...

I watched this again the other day and it's still #1, after getting through almost the entire set. However, nobody on here should feel disappointed at that fact because there are things to come that are incredibly close to it, as well as matches of a different feel that will give you the same rush. Aside from this, Disc 1 almost feels like an extras disc in comparison to some of the others.

EDIT: Just watched about half of this again, goddamn, it's like if Rocky ended with Rocky winning and Apollo Creed getting cueballed. 

• 6 months later...

Not much more you can add to what's already been said. I saw this a couple of weeks back and, five discs in, there's only one other match at this level. This is everything you want from a hair match, Chicana's selling is some of the best I've ever seen, same for his punches. This isn't just one of the best 80s lucha matches, its one of the best matches of all time.

• 5 months later...

I don't really have anything I can add to this except to say I've never seen people from the crowd run up to wipe blood off a wrestler's face. Multiple times. I didn't have this #1 but it was solidly #2 on my ballot and a really awesome match.

• 7 years later...

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this and also I see that this thread has not been updated in a while. However, I watched this match for the first time the other night since someone posted a link to it on YouTube in another thread and wanted to share some quick thoughts upon reading of how much it's revered.

I'm not familiar with either guy but just to see MS1 bloodied and beaten before he even gets into the ring is crazy. I was expecting a lot more "lucha style" like high flying and things like that but I also know that this is from the early 80s and the matches were a different style. The one thing I wasn't super clear on was if it was three falls but I think I was able to pick up on that. I'm also looking forward to watching more 80s lucha and I've found a bunch more matches on YouTube that I've bookmarked. 

I'll say as well, this was one of the bloodiest matches I've ever seen! 

• Like 2