DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 1/4 WRESTLE KINGDOM 11 in TOKYO DOME

Raziel

6 hours ago, lostinube said:

Going on at the Tokyo Dome right now:

Pop for the RICE BOWL.

I feel sorry for those workers who have to flip the seating configurations overnight. What were they thinking?

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Pop for the RICE BOWL.

I feel sorry for those workers who have to flip the seating configurations overnight. What were they thinking?

I didn't realize until this year that they've been doing the Rice Bowl at the Dome on the 3rd pretty much the whole time New Japan has been doing the January 4th Dome show (Rice Bowl - 1991, NJPW - 1992). So they probably have it all down to a science. Which also means anyone who goes to Wrestle Kingdom can also go to the Rice Bowl if they forego the talk show the day previous.

Has anyone on here who generally doesn't love Okada and/or Kenny watched that main event yet?

(I'll definitely watch it regardless and have felt myself getting more optimistic and positive about wrestling in general these past few months, so I promise I'll do so with an open mind, just curious).

19 minutes ago, maciej said:

Has anyone on here who generally doesn't love Okada and/or Kenny watched that main event yet?

(I'll definitely watch it regardless and have felt myself getting more optimistic and positive about wrestling in general these past few months, so I promise I'll do so with an open mind, just curious).

I'm not a fan of either's work honestly. I'll probably watch it this week, but seeing those two go for nearly 50 minutes has me a great deal apprehensive. 

• Like 1

704.gif

The most absurd, incredible match I've ever seen. I love Kenny Omega. 

The final 4 matches were all must see but the main event... My gawd. Words cannot do it justice. 

Edit: I was shocked when I heard the ring announcer say 40 minutes. It flew by. 

• Like 4

Hated Kenny a year ago. Main was great. Call it overdone but if there was a time and a place for that kind of thing it was gonna be a Dome Show Main Event between two very dramatic men. I preferred it to the brainier Tanahashi/Naito prior and I'm usually a geek for that kind of thing.

• Like 2

Better yet, sign up for NJPW World. Even if this is the only show you watch, it's worth the $10 or whatever it is in your valuable (if not bland) American moneys. Even just the last four matches.

• Like 3

Sweet Seven Dieties that Main Event.

I usually hate finisher fests, but that was pretty well done, and I didn't even realize how long that match was, which is a testiment to it's quality.

Whole show was solidly in the good category, nothing below perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

Do it and keep it. There is a ton of gold on that site.

Did anyone else's feed temporarily freeze up right around the 40 minutes call? I had to restart the feed, saw both guys down and was about to scream bloody murder thinking I'd missed the finish...

• Like 2

Nah, I watched it delayed though so I didn't have any issue.  Also watched the English commentary, and suprisingly, Corino and Kelly did an actual good job with it.  Corino corpsing during the tag title match when anyone cursed (and it was a TON) was pretty fun.

I have to go back and watch Okada/Omega again with the Japanese commentary, since Chono was on it and I imagine everyone was going apeshit the last 15 minutes or so.

I just watched the Japanese feed and yeah, the PBP guy did a great job. Chono and Milano Collection AT are team monotone but Liger was fantastic in small doses. They had like 8 people on commentary for the main and co-main.

How the fuck do they follow up that main event? Everything will seem like a bit of a letdown in comparison. Where do they go with Omega from here? Does he eventually win a rematch? G1 back-to-back and win it next year? I've been heaping praise on Omega, but Okada more than carried his share of the match. There were a few times where he showed real emotion. That cut on his back was fucking gross too! Did that come from the over the guardrail Omega dive? Apparently, he said in a post-match interview that he wasn't sure he would literally live through the match. They did such a fantastic job building up to the One Winged Angel with all the reversals the first three (?) times. I thought for sure Kenny had him when he finally hit it. 

Did Kenny actually *hit* the One Winged Angel?  Every time he went for it, Okada had an answer (including the sweet land on his feet into the Rainmaker counter), I don't recall it actually landing (the last time was when Okada countered into the Spinning Tombstone which was the prelude to the end).  They can build that Omega thinks he *can* win because he never got the OWA, so if he ever connects, it's game over.  He cerrtinally has an argument seeing how it took 4 Rainmakers to put him down.

Omega reupped, so I imagine that he'll snag the belt some time in the year, perhaps a shot after winning the NJ Cup, or another G1.

Hmm, you're right. I remember biting 100% into one of Kenny's falsies and I thought it was the One Winged Angel. Great loose thread for the rematch. That's what I loved so much about it. It wasn't just moves for the sake of moves, there was a tangible story being told. Particularly, I thought it cool in the second act that the momentum shifted back and forth so many times and the pace of the match was so incredibly fast. It wasn't until the absolutely insane shit out of the ring happened that momentum stretches were drawn out and they slowed down. They both sold the accumulation of damage like kings.

The one I bit on was the Thrill of the Kill counter to the second Tombstone.  Even with NJPW's tendency to always end on a finisher, the crucifix finish to the Jr. Tag match set up a "well, it can end on anything" vibe that carried the night, as I found myself biting on more false finishes throughout the night because of that one finish.  Like I said, I hate finisher fests, but out of the 4 Rainmakers Omega got hit with, two were absolute desperation that Okada couldn't follow up on, so it worked on that level, and even then, Omega was attempting to avoid the Rainmaker like the plague, much like Okada was ducking the OWA..  Yeah they used a lot of big moves, but the moves had time to breathe and were more desperation than planned, so the kickouts worked (this was actually a theme on the night, as the big move layout in all the big matches from the Jr Title on were well planned so that everything that was a big move but didn't get the win was more an "out of nowhere" move that couldn't be followed up on), which works much better than the WWE's "Finisher-kickout" rapid fire style.

All things considered, that was a near 50 minute match that felt like a 25, so that's pretty much a testament to Okada, Omega, and whoever layed that match out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So I'm guessing that main will end up on AXS February 3rd? 

Also, if you want to see stuff from the show keep your eye on Dailymotion (before they inevitably take it off of course)

Actually, they're showing Okada/Omega on 1/13 as the "season premiere" of the AXS show.

• Like 3

Signed up for NJPW World and just finished Naito/Tanahashi, good solid match and was delighted with the result, Naito may be my 2nd favourite wrestler in the world right now. Definitely my favourite character. Will give Okada/Omega a watch tomorrow. Only cost me something like €8.50 so I'm gonna catch up on a few Dome and G1 shows.

Yeah, that will be a tough match to beat as MOTY. Was really hoping for an Omega win, though, and Ibushi to finally return properly tomorrow to set up that match. Well, it will probably happen eventually.

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Nah, I watched it delayed though so I didn't have any issue.  Also watched the English commentary, and suprisingly, Corino and Kelly did an actual good job with it.  Corino corpsing during the tag title match when anyone cursed (and it was a TON) was pretty fun.

Kevin Kelly gave me the best laugh of the night, when he said he watched all episodes of Tiger Mask W on Crunchyroll on his Roku. Yeah, right...