DVDVR Message Board

'RASSLIN!

Mrhenry

Roku, added a new, free wrestling channel. It's unfortunately named 'Rasslin! It seems, to be a random stream, of various territories. So far, I've watched Dory Funk Jr. Vs. a jobber, A Beverly Bros. squash match, and Lawler and Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy and Rick Rude. Despite the name, and logo(sic) it's well worth, checking out.

• Like 2

Just picked it up...wow. 

The Pros: Variety and Obscure

The Cons: Some questionable quality of the source material...think if RF Video did a stream from their VHS bootleg comps in 1998.

What I've seen thus far: Larry Z nunchaku demonstration, Larry Z vs Greg Gagne, Mad Dog / Brunzell vs. Sheik Adnan / Blackwell, Studd / Blackwell vs. Mad Dog / Crusher.

30 minutes in and I've seen more classic AWA variety than on the Network. Apparently Verne promoted before Shawn started wrestling...

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Yep. There seems to be a lot of WWE-owned stuff, so this can't last, but it's very nice quality.

Anyone else have a good catch-all list for good channels with some wrestling content on it to add here?

Mistah Naimark had a topic about Kodi, which is an application with tons of streaming channels.  While it might not cover every single wrestling streaming channel it's a good start.

Here's his bit about the wrestling content:

So if you pumpkins care about such things....

I've been enjoying a lesser-known addon to the Kodi environment, "FilmOnTV", which has a wide and esoteric list of broadcasts and content from literally around the world (there are entire sections for Africa, Greece, Italy, etc) but their "SPORTS" channel is my main landing point when I open up the application.

Of interest to you yokels it that this sports channel contains no less than 5 pro-wrestling channels streaming content 24/7:

1) FilmOn Wrestling shows mostly old Texas wrestling from the 80s, Southwest Championship and Texas All-Star promotions most frequently.  I've enjoying seeing some of this stuff since I had only very limited exposure to the territory as a kid.  You guys might be most interested in the enormous amount of early Shawn Michaels matches they've been showing the last couple of weeks, but I'd rather watch all the Bruiser Brody, Dick Slater, and Tully Blanchard.  Guys like Adrian Adonis, Killer Brooks, Gino Hernandez, and The Guerreros also get plenty of face time.  On occasion this channel shows other wrestling but Texas seems to be the primary focus.

2) Galli Lucha Libre has their own channel broadcasting full-time.  I've only watched a bit of it, seems pretty low-rent but I'm not crazy about the lucha style in general.  

3) Masked Republic AAA Lucha shows mainly AAA lucha libre matches starting in the early/mid-90s up through the most recent Triplemania.  Lots of fun stuff here, including some very entertaining matches between Rey Mistero Jr and Psicosis and Rey vs Juventud Guerrera plus frequent appearances from La Parka, Hijo del Santo all the way up through current shows featuring, most horribly, Jeff Jarrett.  On occasion when I turn on this channel they are showing some low-rent lucha from small gyms, I don't know if it's AAA proper and of course all the commentary is in Spanish.

4) NWA Wrestling is all NWA all the time - current NWA.  I was a little disappointed because I'd love a channel of 70s-80s NWA but I don't look gift horses in the mouth.  Lance Archer, DBS Jr, Adam Pearce, Colt Cabana, that sorta thing.  It ain't Dick Murdoch and Harley Race but it has it's own charm.

5) Fighting Athletes Network shows a mix of indy stuff from around the country, none of which I'm familiar with.  They've also shown some old MMA but that doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.  

If you're keen on boxing there are even more boxing options available, including a Pugilism TV channel that seems to only show vintage fights from 1920-1960 or so.  Dempsey, Louis, Armstrong, Robinson, Marciano, Patterson, all good stuff.  Several other boxing channels show stuff ranging from current low-profile fight cards back through bigger events from the early 2000s or so, I've seen plenty of Ricky Hatton.  

Lots of other sports stuff to wade through, a Fantasy Football channel, heaps of soccer, and most perplexingly a 24/7 EA Sports stream showing the developers doing...stuff.  

So check it out if you're so inclined.  Don't say I never gave you nuttin'

Ah. 

From the Roku box used in the beginning- there's a lot of usual suspects (Highspots TV, and a few networks dedicated to one indy promotion).

The biggest hidden gems for wrestling action I've found for channels are:

Sports Locker- a random cheapo free, subscriptionless movie channel dedicated to sports movies...but this has some benefit for wrestling fans, since it also has what looks to be the 3PW library free of charge. (IT also keeps a few smaller wrestling movies, Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies and a couple super-small unheard of wrestling movies- Wrestling Days, Ultimate Death Match, and Ultimate Death Match 2.)

MaddyGTV - a random TV network with smaller stuff...but it also has three seasons of AAW television on it as well.

More AWA!

Dusty Rhodes / Superstar Graham vs. Baron Von Raschke / Hans Schmidt

Brody vs. Blackwell.

Larry Z vs. Saito, Superclash 4 AWA Title change

A pissed off babyface Saito promo with Tiger Hatori!

Larry Z promo with the belt: "Peace and harmony rules the universe of Larry Land!"

....and now we move to Iron Sheik's NWA debut in 1989.

Crazy thing, I hit the home button by mistake on the Roku remote during the middle of a High Flyers vs. Patera / Duncum match...I restarted the app and it took me to Bruiser's Indiana territory vs. Blackjack Lanza. Weird. I guess you can back out if you don't like what is being streamed to something new.

On 10/19/2016 at 8:18 PM, Mrhenry said:
Roku, added a new, free wrestling channel. It's unfortunately named 'Rasslin! It seems, to be a random stream, of various territories. So far, I've watched Dory Funk Jr. Vs. a jobber, A Beverly Bros. squash match, and Lawler and Randy Savage vs. King Kong Bundy and Rick Rude. Despite the name, and logo(sic) it's well worth, checking out.

Where did that dumb write up come from where someone acts like Rasslin is a bad name?!

• 4 weeks later...