DVDVR Message Board

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SINGLE PLAYER

RIPPA

Killed a black bear on horseback. Got off to skin it and just as I approached it a cougar jumped on my back and murdered me with a one attack kill. It was perfection.

I haven't seen a lot of animal interaction other than foxes chasing rabbits and other smaller prey and maybe the odd wolf pack chasing down deer... I think?

Burned through more things tonight, including the last part of the Professor story, the mission for the Chief, the St Denis part of the gunslinger story and found my first dinosaur bone. And got some Oregano for mrs. Grimshaw.  

Since I was in Rhodes this morning, I decided to try the Braithwaite Manor thing again. I decided to put my mask on first, to maybe keep from getting a bounty, whether it was the mask or not, I was able to walk right through with no trouble, grab the brooch and gold bar and then leave before having to take out only two guards and never got a wanted level. Will try the Grays manor later to see if that happens again. 

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Since I was in Rhodes this morning, I decided to try the Braithwaite Manor thing again. I decided to put my mask on first, to maybe keep from getting a bounty, whether it was the mask or not, I was able to walk right through with no trouble, grab the brooch and gold bar and then leave before having to take out only two guards and never got a wanted level. Will try the Grays manor later to see if that happens again. 

I'm still kind of disturbed thinking about where she kept that brooch.

Well, I beat the game last night and I have to say, about 65% of the epilogues are completely and totally unnecessary.  I mean, it sets up where the original Red Dead Redemption starts, but it takes forever and the final mission is the only one that provides anything close to catharsis.  I think I'm going to do the legendary hunting and fishing challenges(I got the moose last night), but other than that I'm done.  Even with the overlong, mostly unnecessary double epilogue, this is one of the very best video games ever created.  This is by far the best game of this generation.  As far as storytelling goes, I think this is only second to the original Mass Effect trilogy, and that game spent much more time getting you involved with each characters individual stories.  

I am convinced the second I sell these damn Gator egss I am gonna need them for a quest

BTW - my dumb ass ONLY just realized that I don't have to try and take every fucking animal carcass in.

I was like WHY IS HUNTING ALL THESE PELTS TAKING SO LONG?!?!?!?! Yeah - because I kept thinking I had to bring everything in first

Oh and I ran out of ammo for the varmint rifle was really fucking frustrating to realize when I was out in the middle of God damn nowhere

• Haha 1

I played for a couple days today and my % complete went up 0.1.

i did finally find the Braithwaite Sister and did some hunting and fishing, bought gun upgrades and a spend a couple hundred $ with the fence, buying all the available pamplets and finally got the lions paw trinket, even thoughi killed it awhile ago.

btw, if you hsvent, check out the fishing shack near the Braithwaite Sister,. I found a pack of premium cigarettes AND two cards in there. 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am convinced the second I sell these damn Gator egss I am gonna need them for a quest

BTW - my dumb ass ONLY just realized that I don't have to try and take every fucking animal carcass in.

I was like WHY IS HUNTING ALL THESE PELTS TAKING SO LONG?!?!?!?! Yeah - because I kept thinking I had to bring everything in first

Oh and I ran out of ammo for the varmint rifle was really fucking frustrating to realize when I was out in the middle of God damn nowhere

What does this mean? Something to do in 100%'ing the game?

Plus the upgrades for camp

Almost everything requires the perfect pelts and that’s it. You can obviously store a bunch of these on your horse at once (except the really big ones)

But I would kill something and think I also needed to do something with the corpse (going to trapper or butcher or Pearson)

In almost all case you can only fit one at a time hence why I was finding hunting so tedious 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In almost all case you can only fit one at a time hence why I was finding hunting so tedious 

Yeah, it’s a pain. I was hunting up near Lake Isabella a while back. After having bagged whatever legendary animal is up there, I went fishing and caught the legendary salmon.  With no room, I had to leg it with the giant fish in my hands to the nearest post office. Which as you could imagine, looked hilarious. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, it’s a pain. I was hunting up near Lake Isabella a while back. After having bagged whatever legendary animal is up there, I went fishing and caught the legendary salmon.  With no room, I had to leg it with the giant fish in my hands to the nearest post office. Which as you could imagine, looked hilarious. 

When I had the legendary moose and stumbled into the legendary elk territory I decided to try out a strategy.  I carried the elk carcass to the edge of a mountain, and jumped off...when I reincarnated I had a message saying that I'd be able to access my legendary items at a fence or trapper.  The problem is, fish don't work that way.  You have to catch them all over again.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Couldn’t you use a temporary horse to carry the second item? I’ve seen footage of people having two horses at the same time, I think you riding the temp horse and your main horse riding behind you?

That’d work, but you’d need to call it in beforehand. Hunting is a spur of the moment thing sometimes. 

Yeah - I know you can lead a 2nd horse so I suppose that is one annonying way

Oh - I also love that I got the achievement for catching a really big fish but it turned out it wasn't a legendary.

Of course - I didnt realize that at the time so I go all the way to the post office to mail it and was fucking pissed they wouldn't accept it.

I was all "At least let me mail it to an O'Driscoll or something"

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh - I also love that I got the achievement for catching a really big fish but it turned out it wasn't a legendary.

There is nothing more disappointing than reeling in a huge fish getting it to shore and realizing its another fucking muskie.

So I was watching a random RDR2 video and the guy claimed that if you are away from camp for a really long time (the person in the video kept saying 4-5 days) that Dutch would send a member of the camp out to find you (the person in the video said in his case it was Javier who showed up)

Did anyone have that happen?

Just wondering because I feel like I have been away for awhile (especially now that I am all the way down in Shady Belle) and have never had that happen

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So I was watching a random RDR2 video and the guy claimed that if you are away from camp for a really long time (the person in the video kept saying 4-5 days) that Dutch would send a member of the camp out to find you (the person in the video said in his case it was Javier who showed up)

Did anyone have that happen?

Just wondering because I feel like I have been away for awhile (especially now that I am all the way down in Shady Belle) and have never had that happen

Yes, but I don’t think it was that many days. I mentioned it in the thread when it happened. It was when I was procrastinating doing the last mission before the camp moved (I think from Valentine). 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

There is nothing more disappointing than reeling in a huge fish getting it to shore and realizing its another fucking muskie.

I didn’t realize you got negative honor for fishing with dynamite. 

It took me this long, even though it’s close to Valentine, to find the first part of the mission with the 

Spoiler

Serial killer

And, I ran across the family building the house. Wanted $100 from me. I told I would go get their lumber for them instead. 

Just ran across that family as well and took the get lumber for them option.  

I'm a friendly cowboy but I ain't made of money people!

37 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I gave em the money and got $150 when they were done/sold the place.

Still better than the 

Spoiler

chocolate bar reward for doing all the legwork to get Jack a freaking comic book

which of course kicked in my collecting OCD which meant I had to go collect all 4 of them even through I just needed the one.  

• Haha 1

I've not deliberately done the companion requests yet. I stumbled upon the harmonica and oregano so far. That's on my to do list. 

I've also been making liberal use of eagle eye now to try and find plants when I am riding to and fro.