DVDVR Message Board

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 SINGLE PLAYER

RIPPA

My brain did a sudden recall of all the teases the game had given me that I totally didn't process

I technically could finish Chapter 5 but since all these stranger missions have now started popping up - I am doing them.

Did max out my honor. Will now spend the rest of the game paranoid it is going to drop.

I was correct.  The kid *did* get kidnapped, and yes, it was really, really fucking annoying getting him back.  I'm going to have to watch the gold medal guide on the grave robbers mission, because I have no idea how you're supposed to get out of the cemetery without getting detected. 

Micah's dropping a bunch of "I'm turning on all you idiots" hints (which makes me think that's a red herring).  And I still do not trust Dutch, like, at all.    

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

My brain did a sudden recall of all the teases the game had given me that I totally didn't process

I technically could finish Chapter 5 but since all these stranger missions have now started popping up - I am doing them.

Did max out my honor. Will now spend the rest of the game paranoid it is going to drop.

It's all very

Spoiler

Nicole Kidman in moulin rouge

,  amongst other examples of the trope. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Max honor is pretty hard not to maintain, unless you're going out of your way to be a dickhead.  I finished with max honor, despite my hobby of shooting every stranger I ran into outside towns in the face.  If nothing else, just head out into the woods, shoot wildlife and gut it.  I'm having a nightmare trying to be a bad guy in online due to all the hunting I'm doing.

So I clearly broke the timeline

Re: Mrs Downes

Spoiler

Since I had meandered up to Annesburg for some reason when I finally got back to the mainland in Chapter 5 - I did both stranger missions regarding her and her son.

THEN I did the final mission of Chapter 5 and come across her in what is clearly meant to be the first time you see her.

So for me - it comes across as she took my money and stayed in town where I don't think that is what is supposed to happen

• Like 1

I killed everybody in Butcher's Creek just to get a second perfect goat hide, dropped my honor two levels. Serves them right though, it was immediately after the mission where I exposed the dude taking advantage of them and their ignorant asses didn't believe me. 

Killed him too, of course.

I got ambushed *FIVE* god damn times yesterday evening.  Went 4-1, and I just fucked up that 1 because I got knifed from behind.  Fucking hillbilly Murfree assholes. 

@melraz09 and @RUkered 's training in Los Santos has taught me well.  

• Like 2

Speaking of attacks - I feel like the number of times I have been attacked by wolves has tripled.

Now to be fair I have been up in the mountains more recently than I have previously been in the game but still

So many poor pelts turned into the trapper because I keep blasting the shit out of them with my shotgun

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - at least with the Brood you can kind of see their attacks coming

Fucking O'Driscolls

The ones that really annoyed me the most were the Bronte gangs stakes no out the bridges in St Denis, since you not only had to fight the gangs but usually got a wanted level too. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I got ambushed *FIVE* god damn times yesterday evening.  Went 4-1, and I just fucked up that 1 because I got knifed from behind.  Fucking hillbilly Murfree assholes. 

@melraz09 and @RUkered 's training in Los Santos has taught me well.  

Us hillbilly assholes trained ya right my friend. 

I need to do some more single player stuff. Getting close to 100% just don't much care for whats left. 

• Like 2

Of course - after I say all that - the Brood jumped me twice in the last hour

You would think that if they are going to taunt me they might want to do it when I don't have all my fucking weapons

Easily the worst part about constantly being harassed by those hillbilly motherfuckers is they're not even worth looting after. 

Definitely more wolves in the mountains but you got to keep that Springfield rifle handy, I'm honestly shocked by the amount of perfect wolf pelts I've ended up with.

Now if I can only get more perfect beavers without their carcasses getting caught up in the current of the river and then sinking. 

I had my fill of wolves today doing the Hamish hunting mission. And got no perfect pelts either.

had weird thing today where I was riding the train north of Annenberg and it was stopped and I was attacked by bounty hunters. Admittedly, I was riding on top of the train shooting birds at the time...

• Like 1

I'm just curious, for the players trying to keep their honour level high, is it as much fun playing it that way? I mean, I played it in such a fucking psychopathic sociopath kinda way that, at one stage, I unlocked a fecking achievement for having the lowest honour level you can get but, I always just figured, shit, it's way more fun killing random fuckers. Besides the point, you kinda need to loot all these random dead fuckers to get all your health and dead eye trinkets built up to allow you to get through the actual story part of the game. 

I think at some stage I'll play it again and try to be a nice guy but, I figure, that wouldn't be as fun.

There might be something wrong with me though.

I played the first run as a good guy, and I honestly didn't even really pay that much attention to my honor. Ended up getting the trophy for maxing it out. I did my fair share of shady stuff, but just choosing the honorable choice in missions seemed to be enough to keep it high.

I'm on my second run now and decided to be a dick. I'm finding that it's actually harder for me to lower my honor than keep it high. As far as being more or less fun, it's about the same. I'm not having a noticeably better time than I did playing as a good guy, but it is damn sure easier to not have to give a shit.

I'm trying to take my time this time because I'm a sucker for a story and blasted through the main missions the first time. I missed a ton of stuff you guys have talked about in this thread. Didn't see much of the creepy/supernatural stuff. To that end, I was hunting gators at night and heard a woman crying in the swamps. My first thought was, "Do you think I was born yesterday?" It was like Dave Chappelle's baby on the corner bit. Called my horse over to get my pump shotgun. Sure enough, she knifes me when I get close and I'm all woozy, and here comes three fuckers in masks out of the trees.

I gave em the old Steve Austin AHH AHHHHH and blasted all three of them in the face. Thanks for the trinkets and change, ya filthy animals.

• Like 1

I've played as honorably as possible (with rare exceptions, and already got my honor back to max) and never had a lack of tonics, tobacco, money, and shit to sell to the fence. In fact I've often sold the majority of health items for cash, and have almost always had more than enough money on me to keep my own bounties paid.

If anything I would assume that being a collosal bastard would mean having to constantly spend even more money on bounties, not to mention losing cash every time you're killed.

Yeah, I try to play as a white meat baby face where I can. I was leery of things like town robberies and stage coach heists so far, but 8 just got a coach tip in Strawberry and I’m down to maybe 5 missions this chapter.

from earlier, I was ambushed tonight by the Murfreesboro when they rolled a flaming wagon I 8n my path to spook my horse. Stupid hillbillies. 

Also, damn that giant boar. 

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

If anything I would assume that being a collosal bastard would mean having to constantly spend even more money on bounties, not to mention losing cash every time you're killed.

Oh, yeah, this is definately true. As I say, I was just curious though as players in this thread seemed to be playing it the complete opposite of how I was but that's possibly because I'm a fucking idiot. I guess, I just figured constantly having shootouts with bounty hunters and going down in a blaze of glory with lawmen was more fun than fishing and picking flowers and shit. That being said, the next time I play the story (because this game is so good, I'm going to play the story again), I'm going to play as a nice guy.

I don't know how long I'll last as a nice guy before I want to shoot some fuckers in the face but still.

• Like 2