DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: Toronto

The Natural

Tremendous show. I thought everything clicked up and down the card. Not a weak match.  No questionable booking. That DIY/Revival match is probably my Match of the Year. I watched all the major stuff from Japan and I watched everything out of Battle of Los Angeles, other random indies, I can't think of anything better right now.

It. Was. Amazing.

• Like 6

The chain spot was a big gaffe that didnt make sense to the finish in the Dusty Finals. 

I loved the Tag Championship.. The Revival is the best tag team ive ever seen. bar none. They're already out doing anything The Horsemen ever did in the ring. 

I do have a probkem with that Championship  belt spot. Gargano wears shinguards. no way did  he mess his shin up. plus, if he kicked that into Dawson's face (which is why he was bleeding), it would have hurt Dawson a hell of a lot more than a padded Johnny  Wrestling. 

Mickie James is amazing and i want  her back. she makes you reakize how unready everyone  not named Asuka really is. that goes for 90% of the girls on the main roster.

• Like 2

The opener wasn't bad, but no matter how many bells and whistles they give Roode's entrance he's still going to do absolutely nothing for me in the ring.  Good for Dillenger for getting himself over the way he has, but he's someone else I don't see anything beyond solid mid-card hand.  Crowd was really hot for them, so there's that.

Is there any word on whether or not this was a one-off for Mickie or if she's going to do come back semi-regularly?  It would be nice to see more of her as she looked great in the match and her experience would be good to share with the newer girls.  Hasn't Asuka pretty much shifted between face/heel based on who she's wrestling anyways?

The Dusty Cup finals were decent but I thought the end was a bit flat.  AOP aren't the type that should be cheating or relying on their manager and have yet to really be outmatched by any opponents so it felt really uncharacteristic.  This was the best I've seen TM61 look so far and the story of them using their speed and tenacity to overcome their opponents' brute strength worked well here.

Not more to be said about the tag titles match as it was nothing short of brilliant.  The storytelling was impeccable and the trademark of really great instances of overcoming the odds is that even though the heels have every base covered, the face team are looking at certain defeat and leaves the audience to believe the hero is going to come up short once again but somehow they find a way to pull it off in the end.  It's a really basic story but was told masterfully here.  I genuinely thought several times that DIY were going to lose yet again only for them to find a way to come out on top.

If Revival are getting called up then I hope they go to Smackdown and are able to resume their feud with American Alpha.  Story - AA are the sole survivors at SS and get a title shot Tuesday on Smackdown.  They win the belts and are promptly attacked by the debuting Revival and the rest writes itself.

The main event was solid, though I'm not sure how I feel about Joe winning the title back.  I honestly expected this to be his NXT swansong as he really needs the callup sooner rather than later, but we'll see how it goes.

DIY just doesn't do anything for me. The Revival, however, is amazing. I loved at the end where Dawson was keeping Dash from tapping out but then he tapped out himself. Was good stuff. Bobby Roode's entrance is everything good about the business. I enjoyed the women's match and how credible Mickie James looked while making Asuka look like a killer. Main event was awesome. Joe and Nak will lay it in on you. 

Dawson is clutch on so many levels. In an easy MOTY contender; he was the constant, he was the workhorse, he was phenomenal.

Mickey freakin James stepped the fuck up! (She should take up a role as the mentor of a group of up and coming gals, then slowly have it get to her head, then say.... DelRey step in to stop her.)

Samoa Joe bled for his win. He sells that ass kicking brute persona so damn well.

TM61 shined and actually seem to be developing some personality. (Kinda reminds me of the younger Hardys.)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am still trying to decide if they just wanted to make Asuka more of a heel or if they were actually teasing a rematch with the whole not do the handshake deal.

I'm leaning towards it being a heel turn.  She was a baby face but now she's been getting more and more arrogant as the champ.  No one can stop her and now she's just sticking it in people's faces.  I would be fine with them doing another run with Mickie because I'm not sure what the build is for her as we all assume she's on hold until they get Ember built up.

18 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Haven't rewatched the main event yet - could the Benoit chant be heard when Joe put Nakamura in the crossface? 

I didn't hear it. There were a couple of times the audio suddenly muted on the broadcast so that could have been a reason.

The one chant that made me shake my head (and it was literally just one guy but he happened to be right next to the mic) was the "Trish's lover" at Mickie