DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For OCTOBER 19, 2016

RIPPA

Per WON

Dark match -- 
- Oney Lorcan defeated Wesley Blake with a running blockbuster.

NXT TV taping spoilers --
- It was announced on the video screen that Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Samoa Joe will happen at TakeOver: Toronto for the title.

- No Way Jose & Rich Swann defeated Tony Nese & Drew Gulak in a Dusty Classic tournament match

Great reaction for No Way Jose and Swann. The crowd chanted for them the entire match. Jose hit a half nelson slam on Gulak for the win.

- Bobby Roode defeated Sean Maluta

Roode hit an impaler DDT for the win. Tye Dillinger ran down after the match and they had a scuffle, with Dillinger getting the upper hand.

- Peyton Royce and Billie Kay attacked Liv Morgan backstage before making their way out to the stage. Royce and Kay put the entire women's roster on notice.

- Austin Aries & Roderick Strong defeated Otis & Tucker Knight in a Dusty Classic tournament match

Big crowd reaction for Strong as he made his debut. He won it for his team with a gutbuster and sick kick combo.

- Danielle Kamela defeated Nikki Cross w/ SAnitY by ref reversal

Cross beat Kamela fast but kept attacking until the decision was reversed.

- Shinsuke Nakamura tried to cut a promo on Samoa Joe but was interrupted by Patrick Clark. Nakamura took him out with one kick. Joe made his way to the stage but stopped short as Nakamura saw him coming.

Per PWI

Dark Match: Oney Lorcan def. Wesley Blake 

Week 1

- Dusty Rhodes Tag Classic: No Way Jose and Rich Swann def. Tony Nese and Drew Gulak 

- Bobby Roode def. Sean Maluta. 

Post match: Roode cuts a promo running down Tye Dillinger. Dillinger eventually comes in and runs Roode off.

- Liv Morgan is backstage bring asked about her issues with Billie Kay and Peyton Royce. As Liv is talking, Royce and Kay assault her and drag her out to the stage. They lay Liv out and say the division belongs to them.

- Dusty Rhodes Tag Classic: Austin Aries and Roderick Strong def. Otis Dozovic and Tucker Knight 

- Danielle Kamela def. Nikki Cross  (w/Sanity) by dq. due to "excessive violence". Cross originally won, but the decision was overturned.

- Shinsuke Nakamura cuts a short promo saying that he doesn't care if Samoa Joe brings his dirty tricks, he's ready. Patrick Clark comes out, calling himself the "velveteen dream". Clark says we've already seen Joe and Nakamura and he wants a match. Nakamura lays him out. Samoa Joe comes out, but Nakamura states him down. Nakamura hits Clark with a Kinshasa. Joe continues to stare Nakamura's down but doesn't attack and walks off.

This No Way Jose/Swann vs. Gulak/Nese match was really good, I thought. I loved how Now Way Jose's size (or "power game" as Corey called it) was the difference. No Way Jose has really become pretty good. I loved the pop-up punch. Big ups to Gulak, too, for making Jose look like an absolute star.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who loved Dozovic & Knight the two hosses.

I'm very hapy to see Aries & Strong teaming again, but putting them against Dozovic & Knight wasn't the right match-up. GenNext needed someone that they could have looked dominant against, like 3.0. 

I liked Dozovic & Knight and would like to see them as a regular team. 

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Tucker & Otis were awesome. Nikki Cross was awesome in the crazy role. Kay & Royce's beat down of Liv was great. Really nice episode tonight.

Nikki Cross was great. I love her being so out of control and brutal the referee reversed the decision. I can't recall the last time I've seen that, but I'm glad it's not used too often, thus losing its effectiveness.

This was a really good show.  Add me to the Tucker & Otis club.  I especially thought Otis had a breakthrough performance.

Sanity is growing on me too.  I can't quite pinpoint what it is that makes them so unsettling but I think it's their unnatural herky-jerky movement.  They almost move around like Annie Lennox in the Missionary Man video.  And not to the beat of the song either.

And Nakamura cutting a promo only for Patrick's music to start playing was hilarious.

Honestly this was a rare show where literally almost everyone on it came out stronger for it.

Dozovic & Knight have fantastic charisma and they both look like they are having a ton of fun.

Nicki Cross isn't just crazy, she's a tweaked up freak. She should also always come to the ring riding Sawyer Fulton ala Master Blaster. Maybe for the specials, they could come out with some Mad Max face paint.

Nakamura's music mellows him out.

9 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Patrick "Velveteen Dream" Clarke is the new best wrestler ever. I want him and The Drifter to tag and win every match from now until eternity.

My absolute favorite thing is how infuriated some people have gotten over Clark doing this gimmick

• Like 2

8 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Okay, Otis and Tucker need to get some clubberin' happening with the AoP. Get those two a gimmick and watch them go. 

With the AoP, these guys and Big Damo coming in they actually have quite a few hosses now. I'm ready for the Hoss Classic '17.

• Like 3

It was funny looking at that because I have heard a few people describe Nakamura "the Michael Jackson of wrestling" because of his look and mannerism and here he is in the ring with a  guy who is not only doing a Prince gimmick he is doing Dave Chappelle doing a Prince gimmick

• Like 1

Patrick Clark saying "We are gathered here together to celebrate this thing called NXT Takeover" or however he phrased it is awesome.

Dude was getting booed out of Full Sail. A lot of that is because he was interrupting Nak, but he seriously has potential as a heel who actually gets heat.

That was why I started to love The Drifter -- dude gave the fans nothing to like and it was awesome. I saw him live in Asbury and some kid behind me was decrying his lack of charisma. I wanted to tell him, "Dude, he is getting booed out of the arena!" 

Pre-retirement Corey Graves was also great like that. 

On another note, I very much hate the "guy from whatever indie debuts" reaction so much. It is so lazy to bring in someone like that. I liked it better when guys had to rename themselves like Sami, KO, Finn, Becky Lynch, Itami, etc. Anyone who knows their back stories still knows them. But people like me who don't know who Roderick Strong is -- why the hell should I care? Start at ground zero with them and give them a new hook.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

On another note, I very much hate the "guy from whatever indie debuts" reaction so much. It is so lazy to bring in someone like that. I liked it better when guys had to rename themselves like Sami, KO, Finn, Becky Lynch, Itami, etc. Anyone who knows their back stories still knows them. But people like me who don't know who Roderick Strong is -- why the hell should I care? Start at ground zero with them and give them a new hook.

I kind of get this argument, but in the current age where much of the NXT audience is aware of these guys before they came into WWE it doesn't really make much sense to start them completely over. Also some of the names you picked weren't the best examples. Sami sort of had to start over as he spent his career as a masked wrestler. Lynch had been out for years and not achieved much since she left before the women's indy scene really took off. Owens didn't really start at ground zero. Going beyond them Samoa Joe & Nakamura didn't remotely start over with both using the same names, gimmicks, & history they had before WWE. Going beyond NXT, AJ Styles, Anderson, & Gallows didn't start over either. All get good reactions with just enough of their history being explained.

• Like 1

Super fun show with the two tag matches being standouts.  I think the Dusty Classic is too packed with heel teams right now with the AoP, Revival, Sanity and Aries/Strong all feeling like actual contenders.  I'm having a lot of problems putting DIY or TM61 in that league mentally.  I honestly think Jose and Swan might have the most break out potential on that side of the coin but their next round match up does not lend itself to a long run.  

Nese really looks good for someone who didn't come in with a lot of fanfare.  I understand he doesn't have the hype but he's looked really good whenever I have seen him in WWE.

Tucker and Dozer looked super fun and I loved all the sandwich spots.  I think they may need some different unified gear and a repackage but I could see them being a face contender against AoP and being credible physically.

Cross is on the drugs.  I think she needs to dial it down maybe 10% so it doesn't become too cartoonish.  She should always chew gum and ride Sawyer to the ring.  That should be a thing.  I actually liked how the boys were reacting to the reversal with Sawyer and Wolf being all amused and Young continuously threatening the referee and telling him he would remember it all the way up the ramp.  I would be happy to see that pay off in the coming weeks.