DVDVR Message Board

TNA Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 10/20/16

Probably taped out of order.

*Taped for Xplosion: Mandrews def. Bad Bones John Klinger

TNA Impact Wrestling - Airing October 20, 2016 from Orlando, FL

*Cody came out for a promo, promising to win the title in the main event tonight. Eddie Edwards interrupted and vowed to defeat Cody to keep the title as they went back and forth. Lashley came out and ran down Eddie Edwards on the mic and wants the title back. Lashley said he'd be destroying whichever one wins . Moose interrupts and says he'll have to get through him first.

*Lashley def. Moose after the flying Spear to become #1 contender.

*Eli Drake hosted the Fact of Life with Aron Rex to explain his cheating to beat Jessie Godderz last week, Jessie & EC3 interrupt eventually setting up a tag team match..

*Broken Matt Hardy & Brother Nero def. The Tribunal to retain the tag team championships. After the match, The DCC attack The Tribunal then point to the Hardys.

*Maria belittled Allie in the ring until Allie finally stood up for herself so Laurel Van Ness attacked Allie. Maria announced Allie vs Laurel for next week.

*Mike Bennett (w/ Maria) def. Mahabali Shera

*DJ Z cut a promo about Team X Gold. Rockstar Spud interrupted, asking why he's not in it. Spud promised to form his own team.

*Eddie Edwards def. Cody to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship after both cradle for a pin off a superplex and Edwards is declared the winner. After the match, Maria attacked Brandi Rhodes at ringside.

That Fact of Life segment was so bad and it wasn't because of the wrestlers. The fake laugh track and applause track was so sad. it was bad when WCW did it and it's even worse now. Sandow's soul looks like it has left his body while he's in TNA.

Cody vs Eddie Edwards was ok. Good Main Event type Cody match. I still don't get why Eddie is the champ and EC3 isn't.

Boy do the DCC look so low rent. Wrestling doesn't need another dark anonymous heel tag team.

Loved the opening seg with Cody and Eddie then Lashley leading in to Lashley/Moose. Lashley still comes off like the man all throughout the show. Great main event scene with a variety of guys mixed in. Fact of Life was funny, the Dummy button always rules and ended with a good chaotic brawl. I was thinking last week I kinda liked the Tribunal's generic theme, now this week they get a new one. Didn't like that Cody's theme got slower, thought the first version was better. Tribunal looked their best yet here with a fun tag against the Broken Hardys. Fun Maria/Allie segment. Allie is the best. DJ Z/Spud segment was a pretty good little set up for a match. Enjoyed the main event, had a nice big match feel and some solid hype throughout the night. Mostly good stuff all around, another solid Impact.

• Like 2

As much as I enjoy Bobby Lashley, there was a little too much of him tonight.  It felt like every time they were going to break, he was showing up somewhere to talk to someone, or have someone talk about him.

I love masked teams debuting but I didn't want to be disappointed in their reveal so I went ahead and looked it up and preemptively disappointed myself.

Surprised they turned Sandow so early, after he was so over upon his debut.  It was especially weird with him coming out and talking about how much he appreciates the belt because he never got much of a chance to wrestle for them and how he looks at it every day when he wakes up, then kinda heels it up after that.  Not a big fan of the Eli Drake talkshow (Especially with the laugh track that was inconsistent, one minute it was from his POV booing people he didn't like, then it would seem to switch to what the crowd POV was, then back again).  I'm interested in the Drake/Rex-Carter/Godderz feud, though.  I actually don't think it needs the talkshow to hype it up.  Just have Carter interrupt Drake in the ring.  Carter is kind of the exact guy Godderz should be watching, because that's his ceiling: a big athletic dude who can have decent matches.

• Like 1

Yeah, we were cheering when she finally had enough.  I love the look of "I can't believe I said that" and now it's the point of no return.  I am amused that her husband (Braxton) could be a possible love interest for Laurel on TV.  It's one of those "Sure, why not?" kind of things.

Now Bennett's theme was back on TV and considering the rights issues with Dale Oliver I wonder how that got on TV.  Did they reach some kind of settlement or is it TNA trying their luck with it.

• Like 1

BTW, I'm completely surprised at them using Van Ness as a heel after seeing her live (using the name Chelsea Green( a couple weeks ago.  Like, she's a solid heel, but she's such a great face that there was a 5-6 year-old-girl who was walking around the place crying and pouting and her Mom explained to people "she's upset because Chelsea lost".  Our seats were right next to the merch table, and I've never seen a line of creepier dudes lining up to take photos with her and she was so sweet and friendly to every one of them.  She also got to console the girl who was crying, but it didn't help.  She just seemed like a real, naturally friendly and cheeful person that I'd bet it would come across on TV.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, caley said:

BTW, I'm completely surprised at them using Van Ness as a heel after seeing her live (using the name Chelsea Green( a couple weeks ago.  Like, she's a solid heel, but she's such a great face that there was a 5-6 year-old-girl who was walking around the place crying and pouting and her Mom explained to people "she's upset because Chelsea lost".  Our seats were right next to the merch table, and I've never seen a line of creepier dudes lining up to take photos with her and she was so sweet and friendly to every one of them.  She also got to console the girl who was crying, but it didn't help.  She just seemed like a real, naturally friendly and cheeful person that I'd bet it would come across on TV.

It sure seems like Chelsea's an incredibly sweet person.  I think she was on one time as Chelsea Green and I saw enough to tell she's great as a face.  Putting her as a heel is baffling, and while she's good at what she's doing I wish they just had her as is on TV.  Change the name, sure, but keep everything else the same.  Also feel bad for her having to put up with creeps, but if she can tolerate them to a degree then good for her.

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

She mostly worked as a heel in Vancouver. She's coming back in December as a face though.

But wasn't she a heel in Vancouver in a group of four other heels, two of which were the mouthpiece and she was just the girl in the group?

I've booked her once in the Okangan, and worked with her 2-3 other times up here for other promotions: she's a total babyface.

From what I've seen, she was a solitary heel and pretty good at it, though I saw her mostly at the b-shows in butt fuck Coquitlam. She's capable at playing either side though, so it doesn't really matter which way you go. Isn't the saying in wrestling that the heels are really the nicest people outside the ring and the faces not so much? Takes a lot of humility to stooge around like an idiot for somebody.

It bugs me way more that TNA used Chelsea Green and Laura Dennis earlier this year and announced signing them under those names and then they just show up later in the year as people we're supposed to have never seen before.  They've used Laura Dennis for several years and now she's supposed to be completely untrained.  And I know I've made fun of TNA not giving any of the new female signings last names but if 'Van Ness' is the best they can come up with.  I think I'm mostly bugged by them being used as a backdrop to get Maria even more TV time.

I guess they figured if they had them change their look somehow nobody would notice.  Chelsea does look a bit different with the blonde hair and extra makeup so if you didn't know it was her than no shame in that.  Laura went blonde also but you can still see in the face that's her.

On 21/10/2016 at 3:45 AM, Tim Evans said:

That Fact of Life segment was so bad and it wasn't because of the wrestlers. The fake laugh track and applause track was so sad. it was bad when WCW did it and it's even worse now.

Wait, we weren't supposed to be able to tell it was a fake laugh track? I thought that was the gimmick, that he had a bunch of foot pedals under the desk so he could have the crowd noise cheer or boo as he saw fit. The reactions synced up better with E-Li's gimmick than the actual face/heel alignments of the guys out there.