DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I think the theory that the Man in Black and William are the same person and those storylines are taking place in different times is interesting, but I'm sure as hell not putting in the work to see if it checks out.

Of course, if William is the Man in Black, then there is literally no one to root for on this show (at least among the humans).

It doesn't.  All the storylines are taking place concurrently (Teddy is currently with Man in Black, they're heading for the maze, as is William with Delores, as Delores, Mauve, and now the villian that MiB freed are getting woke.)  

It's the Delores and Mauve storylines that prove that it's all concurrent.

2 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I'm really, really enjoying Better Things and I swear it's not just due to the MONSTER crush I've had on Pamela Adlon since Lucky Louie because she was on Californication and I couldn't even hate watch that show. Also, the wife has me now hooked on This Is Us. And I'm eagerly anticipating Life In Pieces' return this week.

It's bizarre (in a good way) to have a show fronted by four female characters (Adlon and her daughters) and have them all so well-rounded and not have every episode be "Oh, will she get a man?!" as so many female-fronted shows have resorted to over the years.  Has this really good balance of humor and sadness, too.  Adlon, and all three of the daughters are just killing it, acting-wise, too.  I went thought and watched about 6 of the episodes then thought "You know my mom would love this" and went back and watched them all with her.  

Interestingly, she also loves Atlanta.

I'm actually pretty into Lethal Weapon as well.  It's stupid, and the other characters have absolutely no depth to them whatsoever (The commercial they were running of the one episode that shows Wayans' wife twice, both times with her laughing at his jokes really underscores the fact that her character has  nothing to her besides laugh-at-jokes/worry-over-husband, there is literally no other facet to her) but Crawford and Wayans have lots of chemistry, the action is pretty well-filmed, and it's fairly funny.

• Like 1

I think they just buddy cop'ed the first half of the season with Lethal Weapon just to make sure the chemistry was there so they'd get picked up moving forward.  They'll probably get to advancing the other characters in the back half.  

Murtagh's family didn't really get fleshed out until the second movie anyway.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, a month or so in: This Is Us is the best drama on network television in years

It's very, very uneven to me, very much on a sliding scale (the Manny stuff being the worst), but the good stuff is really excellent.

Oh shit, son!  Things are getting fucking REAL on Channel Zero - Candle Cove.

I still cannot figure out the connection between the monsters like The Tooth Child wandering around, the re-broadcasting of the show, and the psycho adults shepherding the new generation of Children of the Damned in this small town.

All similarities between this season and the Candle Cove creepypasta ended with the big reveal at the conclusion of Episode One.

Spoiler

The idea that the common memory of the television show is actually a common delusion shared by all of the adults struggling to remember the show they all "watched" as children. 

Not very different from the plethora of "lost episode" creepypastas or some of the video game related creepypasta's I've read where the main character is playing a haunted game that nearly kills him and at the end he discovers that a) the television he's been playing on is broken and someone walks in on the character looking at a blank screen or b) the main character finds out at the end that either console or the game is broken so there is no way he could've actually "played" the game.

The story is breaking into uncharted waters now and it is great.

The original author of the Candle Cove creepypasta has a writing credit,

• Like 2

@J.T. I agree, they've done a really great job of making the show compelling without really answering any questions. 

Spoiler

I'm assuming the Tooth Child is the teacher's son and she's helping Candle Cove to maintain a connection with him. Unless she's really behind the entire thing...

I hope the guy from the TV station reappears too. Mike's mother realizing the guy had recreated the show at home and she was alone with someone who's out of their mind was one of the most unnerving scenes so far. 

• Like 1

Atlanta was great last night.  That party with the full of fake ass people, except the one white guy who was so into black culture that it is uncomfortable is something I've actually experienced.  I grew up in broke ass, small town, Ohio and then moved to Northern Virginia for high school.  I was someone who had friends in the lowest of places and the highest of places, and had to figure out how to deal with both groups(One day I'll tell you guys about the time I went to a ritzy formal party in a white t-shirt and jean shorts.  It was legitimately one of the best nights of my life.  Oh, and the guy who threw the party was a white kid who has a masters degree in African American studies.).  The treatment of the people working at the party was spot on.  The bartender who decided he was going to take his frustration out by being a dick to Earn was so fucking great.  He knew that Earn was out of place, and he knew that he could flex the little bit of authority he had, Earn was going to be the target.  

The thing that really hit me was the relationship stuff though.  Being in a relationship that isn't a relationship can be a rocky fucking road.  I have a friend, who we have never actually been in a relationship, but there were plenty of times when we were the only people of the opposite sex in each others lives.  We went to plenty of events as a couple, but we were always honest enough with ourselves and each other to know that we'd be terrible for each other romantically. We argue and fight like children but we're good enough friends that it doesn't really have any affect on our friendship.  But, there have been times when I've said something that I thought was a joke, that she took super personally.  That moment when Earn was just goofing off talking about how Van did everything in their relationship and he did nothing was fucking brutal.  I've been that guy, and had that girl look at me like I had just crushed her heart.  My friend is married now, and I was the first person she told after her parents that she had got engaged.  I was legitimately happy for her.  I'm 35 years old and I've known her since I was about 12 or 13, she probably knows me as anyone in the world.  So, the next time we hung out after she told me she was engaged, we were talking and I joked about her never giving me the time of day and it crushed her.  I could see it in her face as soon as those words left my mouth.  She has been ride or die for me since I was a teenager and my stupid little comment made her feel like I didn't appreciate her role in my life.  That scene made my heart sink.

• Like 1

So Bryan Fuller is out as showrunner on the new STAR TREK show.  He'll still be an executive producer and his lieutenants will be running the show, but apparently his packed schedule with AMERICAN GODS and a reboot of AMAZING STORIES was the reason the show got delayed until May and more delays may have been in the offing if they didn't make the change.

Still, it's a bit of a bummer that he won't be involved in the day-to-day.  The guy clearly "gets" Star Trek in a way that very few in Hollywood have in a very long time.

• Like 1

So I'm catching up on my Atlanta watching and the episode B.A.N. just SLAYED me.  I think it was the best individual epside of any TV comedy in YEARS.  It was just so expertly put together, handled some interesting issues but always in a funny and entertaining way.  I didn't think anything could make me laugh harder than the Transracial feature, but then there was the pay-off to the Dodge commercials, followed by the Coconut Crunchos commercial and then the transracial guy came back with the haircut and Paper Boi asked if he was Super Saiyan!

Then I watched The Club and it was funny, not quite as brilliant as 'B.A.N.' but than the ending!

when people get hit by the invisible car!

was one of the greatest things I've ever seen!

Also watched another Lethal Weapon and it was fascinated by the way it raised difficult subjects (The inequality of life in the suburbs vs. the hood; black people legitimately fearing for their lives when being pulled over by white police officers) than just dropped them with no further mention.  It totally smacked of "We can't quite ignore this...but we can't reallly spend too much time on it or we risk alienating people".  It's still a fun show, the two leads have great chemistry together but it just seemed like if you're going to raise these issues, you should really discuss them a bit, or else just skirt around it.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I finally got caught up with The Exorcist.  The reveal at the end of the last episode was an ohhhh holy shiiiiit moment

I ended up getting bored with that after the second episode.  Does it get better enough to make it worth watching?

4 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I ended up getting bored with that after the second episode.  Does it get better enough to make it worth watching?

I think so but YMMV.  It does pick up with the daughter being possessed but if you checked out after the first two eps, I'm not sure if there's something you'd like in the next three.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 10:08 AM, EVA said:

I think the theory that the Man in Black and William are the same person and those storylines are taking place in different times is interesting, but I'm sure as hell not putting in the work to see if it checks out.

Of course, if William is the Man in Black, then there is literally no one to root for on this show (at least among the humans).

In the last episode, I recall that security guy being made aware of Dolores straying from her storyline and running around with William. Later in the episode, the same security guy okays the MIB's cigar trick. 

There's a way around that, but I'm accepting that as sufficient proof to debunk the theory. For now. 

Hope I'm not misremembering any of this. 

I think they're playing too obvious with the "William is MiB from 30 years ago", there's evidence either way.  Then I see the coming weeks previews and guess who has the same knife...