DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 10/13/2016 at 11:38 PM, Skeeball Wizard said:

Agreed on both counts. Creepypasta has always seemed silly to me, but the one this was based on got me good. Everything in Channel Zero just seems so cold and calculated, hopefully that's just setting the scene.

Apparently a second season of Channel Zero has already been greenlit, and it will be based on another Creepypasta: The No End House. 

• Like 2

Does anyone else find  Alan Sepinwall to be a bit snarky and at times unfair when reviewing TV?

This isnt me badmouthing him, i used to love his reviews but lately it seems that if a TV show isnt perfect he won't like it or has one element that he doesnt like then the whole review is based on that. 

On 10/18/2016 at 11:12 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Kevin James' continued success really makes me disappointed in america. 

Hey King of Queens was actually a pretty good show, its just James in movies that weren't Hitch were unbearable (I maintain he really was the glue of Hitch. His performance was lowkey and sympathetic).

James

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Apparently a second season of Channel Zero has already been greenlit, and it will be based on another Creepypasta: The No End House. 

We're also discussing this in the All Things Horror thread. :)

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm all caught up on How To Get Away With Murder, Mr. Robot, Westworld, Killjoys, Secrets & Lies, and Suits.

The only thing remaining in my DVR Backlog of Shame is Queen of the South.

Queen of the South was surprisingly not bad.  The "conversations with her future self" plot device is a bit hokey but, then again, you get to see double the Alice Braga so I won't complain.  Fun unexpected plot twist in the final episode as well.  I loved The Bridge so this show is up my alley.

I also can't stop laughing to myself whenever the main villain shows up, as he looks like Mexican Phil Hartman.

On 10/20/2016 at 3:23 AM, J.H. said:

Hey King of Queens was actually a pretty good show, its just James in movies that weren't Hitch were unbearable (I maintain he really was the glue of Hitch. His performance was lowkey and sympathetic).

James

I would argue "Here Comes the Boom " was really good too . 

Last night's You're The Worst killed me!

Getchen as overbearing Power Mom was some great comedy but now she's got to clean up the mess and damage she did to her "Kids" .I really hope the next episode does deal with that that and not wave away the damage she did to Jimmy, Lindsay and Edgar.

Also, Hot damn is Kether Donohue a babe!

James

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 3:23 AM, J.H. said:

James

I LOVE 'King of Queens'.  I remember when Patton Oswalt was doing a retrospective of his career and with him being somewhat of a hipster, I expected him to crap all over 'King of Queens' like Joe Rogan did with 'Fear Factor' (On the NewsRadio commentaries, Rogan just trashes that show, calls it Joe Rogan cashing a paycheck.  When Andy Dick says it's fun, Rogan says "Yeah maybe when they throw up or fall down") but Oswalt was sooo complimentary of James and KOQ and talks about how much he learned.  What I loved about 'King of Queens' is their complete non-issue with not having closure on episodes.  One episode ends with Carrie beating a Doug while he's dressed like a clown in front of a small child, there's no "I'm sorry honey" moment, it just ends at the funniest part.  I respect that.  It also doesn't hurt that my sister is VERY similar to Carrie, while her husband acts a lot like Doug.

• Like 2

King of Queens was really funny and James was a funny as heck stand-up before that. Part of me wishes he'd go back to stand-up for on last hurrah but totally respect him for not doing it at the same time. I'm glad Patton didn't shit over his time on that show, especially after Zach Galifinaikis kinda shat on it on the one comedy album they did together (though come to think of it, Patton defended it on that too)

James

• Like 1

The King of Queens was pretty great.

If you can't enjoy that then I don't think you could enjoy something like Newhart or even The Honeymooners and that is no life for me.

I remember when Kevin James popped up in an episode of the short lived Sammo Hung vehicle Martial Law along with Bas Rutten...Dude is athletic as fuck...James, I mean.

Hey...here it is:

also some vintage Tzi Ma!

Regarding the new Black Mirror season: Between Bryce Dallas Howard giving one of the best performances I've seen in anything all year in Nosedive and Wyatt Russell killing it in Playtest, I'm on Team Hollywood Nepotism. 

On 10/23/2016 at 0:12 AM, Casey said:

Lethal Weapon is surprisingly really good.

Yes it is.

Channel Zero continues to be awesome!

I am slightly bummed because the theme song for the show isn't a creepy adaptation of:

• Like 2

I'm really, really enjoying Better Things and I swear it's not just due to the MONSTER crush I've had on Pamela Adlon since Lucky Louie because she was on Californication and I couldn't even hate watch that show. Also, the wife has me now hooked on This Is Us. And I'm eagerly anticipating Life In Pieces' return this week.

• Like 1

Secrets & Lies has just enough murder mystery to justify me watching it while my girlfriend ogles Michael Ealy.  Fuck that pretty, blue eyed mother fucker.

This Is Us is so great and it crushes my soul with every episode.  Why do I do this to myself?

• Like 2