DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

I always forget where the hell Rickon is at any point.

Sometimes I forget that Rickon even exists.  I've been rereadinglistening to the books, and just finished Storm of Swords, I can't even remember the last time he was mentioned.  Between Rickon and Benjen Stark, whenever they reintroduce them half the show audience aren't going to remember they were ever on the show.

There is a far simpler answer to the Tyene question.  This season has been light on nudity this season so we needed our obligatory boobies scene.

True, that is probably the best answer.  Did anyone else have this pop into their head during that scene?

• Like 2

I thought the Dorne stuff was perfectly fine. It gave Bronn a chance to sing and it gave us the nudity quota. It also reminds us that the Martells like to put poison on their weapons which will probably mean something down the road. Dorne has been pretty lackluster so far but only because I expected more violence. Not a weak coup with zero fatalities and bad camera shots. One good thing about the producers (unlike Martin who really doesn't give a shit) is that they are not going to be tone deaf to the negative backlash Dorne received this season. Most of the locations have been warmly received and everyone tends to gravitate toward their favorites. So if you go to GoT forums, you'll see multiple "I hate Dany/I Love Dany" posts in the same thread over and over again. However, Dorne has been universally panned and I think they will address that in the upcoming season. 

I have this thing about women with short hair so I was good with the Tyene nekkidness, but there is something about Nym and Obara that also brings about the funny feeling.

My only regret about the scene that it wasn't Obara who was nekkid.

It doesn't have to. If Myrcella still gets her ear cut off, I'll call it a win. If Doran unveils the long game discussed previously, that is a thumbs up. Bronn is still Bronn. He makes scenes. I have faith. 

• Like 1

I have this thing about women with short hair so I was good with the Tyene nekkidness, but there is something about Nym and Obara that also brings about the funny feeling.

Not sure i'm eager to see the little girl from Whale rider grown up and naked. :)

There is a far simpler answer to the Tyene question.  This season has been light on nudity this season so we needed our obligatory boobies scene.

True, that is probably the best answer.  Did anyone else have this pop into their head during that scene?

I had this pop into my head

It's a shame Dorne has underwhelmed, since i was looking forward to Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Siddig el-Bashir being on the show.

Adewale isn't in Dorne. He was the slaver looking for a Cock Merchant. The guy playing Areo Hotah is called DeObia Operei. I watched that 'Meet the new cast members' thing from last year's Comic-Con again, and... we've not seen Yezzan yet, have we?

Casting calls have gone out, and there are some interesting character descriptions...I predict who I think they are between characters.

From IGN:

Pirate, man in his 40’s to late 50’s. He’s “an infamous pirate who has terrorized seas all around the world. Cunning, ruthless, with a touch of madness.” He’s a dangerous-looking man. A very good part this season.

Victorion or Euron?

Father. Aged 50’s to 60’s, he’s one of the greatest soldiers in Westeros- a humorless martinet, severe and intimidating. He demands martial discipline in the field and in his home. It’s described as “a very good part” for next year and that he’s “centrally involved” in a protagonist’s storyline.

Randall Tarly?

Mother, in her 50’s. She’s a sweet, plump, and adoring mother, and has a soft spot for one of her children who benefits from her decency.

Hmm...Don't know

Sister, in her early 20s. She’s a kind, friendly and unpretentious woman.

Any guesses? Could we be getting Arianne

Brother, in his early to mid-20’s . Athletic, a good hunter, an excellent swordsman, manly, not particularly bright but the favourite child of the father.

Could this be Quentin?

Priest, in his 40’s or 50’s. A gruff ex-soldier who found religion. Now a no-nonsense rural priest who ministers to the poor of the countryside. He’s salt-of-the-earth man who has weathered many battles.

The dude who may or may not be harboring the Hound, or Damphair?

Leading Actress, in her early 40’s, she’s an elegant actress with a traveling theatre company. Fun, charismatic, rum-drinking actress in the troupe.

Could be anyone, maybe the actress Arya trains with?

Priestess. Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic.

Septa Lemore?

Fierce Warrior, a tall man in 30’s or 40’s with a powerful physique. They’re looking for someone with “mixed ethnicity” for the role.

Dark Star?

A large boy, with an actor who is 10-12 but playing 7 or 8. He’s described as “a clever boy” who seems too large for his age. He’s big and tall but not fat. “Characterful squat features” are a plus for this part. it’s specified that this is a one-time appearance.

I've got nothing

12 year old boy, with brown hair and blue eyes. He needs to use a Northern accent. He has scenes where he has to spar with a wooden sword. The length of the role isn’t specified.

Could this be Rickon?

7 year old boy with dark brown hair, a narrow face and green eyes. He also has a Northern accent. He also spars with the wooden sword, so it’s safe to assume it’s the same scene. This role is similarly open-ended, the description only stating that the character is being ‘introduced.’

There's a chance the boys could be Little Walder and Big Walder. Or possibly fake Bran and Rickon... because they didn't do fake Arya, the fake Stark idea might be considered open.

The Hunter in his 20s, favourite son would be Samwell's brother, wouldn't it? And the Mother with a soft spot would be his and Sam's Mum - so I guess Sam is going down South next year. Sam has a sister as well, right? We're getting a whole heap of Tarlys.

The Priest might be there to give Brienne and Pod the broken man speech. But most likely the boss of the Quiet Isle. Or both characters compressed into one.

I dunno how to make spoilers tags apparently.

EDIT:

Euron, Big Daddy Tarly the Cunt, Sam's Mom, Sam's Sister, Little Cunt Tarly the Cunty.

The little kids seem to be flashback Robert, Ned and Brandon, but the whole "being introduced" thing is weird.

The Priest is probably The Elder Brother+Septon Maribald.

The Septa is probably Lemore, but it's weird that she exists, same with the Ethnic Warrior as Duck. Strike that maybe it's the Septa Sand Snake and Darkstar, he of the Night~!.

I haven't read the chapters from Winds but people keep talking about Arya in a mummer's group so that's the Actress.

So, would it be fair to say that Randyll Tarly is basically Tywin Lannister, if Tywin had purely pursued martial strength?

I'd say he is much more like Stannis, except not secretly funny and minus the love for his child. 

No, his love of his children is exactly like Tywin, except he really loves his second son and hates his elder, rather than the other way around.

Too much of a follower, ultimately, to draw parallel to Tywin Lannister, Randyll is House Tyrell's heavy.  Marty McSorely to their Wayne Gretzky, it makes sense that he'll be cast starting next year since Olenna seems gearing up to make a show of force at this point in the show.

In terms of his parenting he somehow manages to be an even shittier version of Balon Greyjoy (who if nothing else at least let his daughter do her own thing, after all).

Though we only hear it second hand, Randyl Tarly is the man behind the quote about "You [brienne] would benefit from a good hard raping."

He'd be near the top of the Asshole Standings in any other fictional setting, but of course the Westeros Conference is stacked.

Thinking about it, if when Sansa finally gets the candle in the window, the result doesn't look like Brienne doing the equivilant of this:

I'm gonna be dissappointed.

Thinking about it, if when Sansa finally gets the candle in the window, the result doesn't look like Brienne doing the equivilant of this:

I'm gonna be dissappointed.

Stannis is the wild card there, and that's part of the frustration in this. The concern is that whatever Sansa does is going to be a third-level action. She'll act which will let Brienne act which will let Stannis win. In the grand scheme of things (grand game of thrones) that's pretty weak. 

• Like 1