DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Ace said:

I'd sacrifice Bert Stoufferspizza to Luke Harper, myself.

I don't know Luke Harper, but I bet if you offered him a Stouffer's Pizza, he'd say thanks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zev said:

I don't know Luke Harper, but I bet if you offered him a Stouffer's Pizza, he'd say HEY HEY HEY.

FTFY

Eta: I fixed nothing.  It's "yeah yeah yeah", damn it!

Not that I necessarily see it happening, but a little food for thought: Does the consensus change if Goldberg beats Brock at Survivor Series, sticks around for a few months, and loses to a full-time main roster guy at the Rumble, whatever No Way Out is now, or WM? How about if Brock gets his win back at one of those events? How about if they were open the checkbook for a non-Brock part timer?

Pay Goldberg to work 5 dates.

1 NXT taping getting a few wins

2 RAWs to set up Lesnar/Goldberg

Survivor Series against Brock

1 Post Takeover NXT taping so we can get Joe beating Goldberg

I really wish WWE would occasionally send their part timers down to NXT for TV takings. I feel like Lesnar/Roode, Lesnar/Aries, Lesnar/Joe, or let Lesnar squash a new guy like Patrick Clark. WWE does  it make everything that happens in NXT canon so let your part timer do a job in NXT and never mention it on WWE TV

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Pay Goldberg to work 5 dates.

1 NXT taping getting a few wins

2 RAWs to set up Lesnar/Goldberg

Survivor Series against Brock

1 Post Takeover NXT taping so we can get Joe beating Goldberg

I really wish WWE would occasionally send their part timers down to NXT for TV takings. I feel like Lesnar/Roode, Lesnar/Aries, Lesnar/Joe, or let Lesnar squash a new guy like Patrick Clark. WWE does  it make everything that happens in NXT canon so let your part timer do a job in NXT and never mention it on WWE TV

Lesnar and Goldberg should never set foot in Full Sail, for any reason.  Keep that shit away from NXT.  I am, however, perfectly all right with them putting over Joe or Nakamura on the main roster.

• Like 4

Meltzer had an anecdote on the last show about how Vince didn't make a play for Sting earlier because he just didn't think Sting was a big deal.  The point was the Vince simply could not comprehend that anyone (and this also relates to Goldberg) could be that over without ever being in WWE.  Can you imagine the sheer level of self-delusion necessary for that kind of mindset?  Like it just did not compute in Vince's head that, if someone was not in WWE/F, he could still be huge and popular with the fans.  It's amazing.

I always thought it was just a  line when Vince said WCW beat them for so long only because they hired ex WWE guys.  But holy shit, Vince really believes that.  Damn.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I always thought it was just a  line when Vince said WCW beat them for so long only because they hired ex WWE guys.  But holy shit, Vince really believes that.  Damn.

Vince is delusional and lives in his own world for sure but... he kinda had this last part right.

I mean, I can't imagine WCW being as impactful without those ex WWE guys. (I certainly was amongst those who flipped between the channels for that reason alone. And consequently discover their awesome mid card.)

Keep in mind that when Sting was first available in 2002, he was already 43, was asking for a lot of money and WWE wasn't giving out short term deals with limited dates for the part timers.

In retrospect, it probably worked out for the best. If they bring him in a decade ago, he works a year, ends up finishing his run in a tag team with goldust doing comedy and is done. Instead he was able to collect mid-6 figure pay checks for doing limited dates well into his 50s.

Stings match at Night of Champions still really bothers me.  He should not have been taking that kind of offense in that kind of match and it was inexplicable why it was on a C-Show ppv.

I have zero faith in WWE storytelling.  I'm just watching matches by guys I like, and they are producing some great matches.  As far as long term stories or planning....i gave up.  There isn;t even anything I'm dying to see, but at least I know AJ styles will have awesome matches on the network.  Anyway, I'm all for Goldberg vs Lesnar.  Seriously....who cares who goes over, or how it helps build anyone....those days are over.  I'm down for a freakshow, big hoss match where there is some mystery about how Goldberg will perform.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

have zero faith in WWE storytelling.  I'm just watching matches by guys I like, and they are producing some great matches.  As far as long term stories or planning....i gave up.

SDL has been really good since the brand split. Besides the Bray Wyatt crap it has been a very well booked show. AJ is on an incredible roll on top, and the world title picture has been solid. I'll go as far to say the booking in the tag division has been perfect since the split. Miz is on an all time great heel run right now, and they've managed to get a really entertaining women's division out of a roster that doesn't look great on paper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turk128 said:

Vince is delusional and lives in his own world for sure but... he kinda had this last part right.

I mean, I can't imagine WCW being as impactful without those ex WWE guys. (I certainly was amongst those who flipped between the channels for that reason alone. And consequently discover their awesome mid card.)

I'll concede that WCW maybe doesn't start topping RAW and winning the Monday Night Wars (for awhile) without the WWF defectors.  But my personal viewpoint is that WCW was sorta ruined by the arrival of Hogan, Nash, Hall, Russo (oh, god, Russo), etc.  I tend to think of WCW as "before  Hogan" and "after Hogan".  WCW was really damn good in '92 and '93. and got bad really quickly after Hogan arrived  As a fan, there's no question in my mind that WCW was better overall before Hogan, the nWo, and Russo.

Granted, that's just my opinion.  And that's not to say that WCW wasn't watchable after... well, '96, anyway.  From a business perspective, Hogan's arrival may have saved the company for awhile.  It's entirely possible that, if Hogan and Russo don't come in, the product is better from '95 on. but doesn't catch on and folds even sooner.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Do you not understand the economics of why this is, from a business perspective, is a terribly bad idea?

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

In retrospect, it probably worked out for the best. 

I don't think Sting's neck agrees.

The NWO is literally the only thing that got WCW over the hump. Vince being able to take credit because 2 of the 3 main guys had just worked for him under totally different gimmicks is a bit of a stretch, though. I suppose you could rate that claim as "technically true, but intellectually dishonest." It would be akin to Eric Bischoff taking credit for Steve Austin. The NWO concept wasn't going to work with just any three guys, but those three guys specifically wouldn't have moved the needle much without the NWO concept.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Meltzer had an anecdote on the last show about how Vince didn't make a play for Sting earlier because he just didn't think Sting was a big deal.  The point was the Vince simply could not comprehend that anyone (and this also relates to Goldberg) could be that over without ever being in WWE.  Can you imagine the sheer level of self-delusion necessary for that kind of mindset?  Like it just did not compute in Vince's head that, if someone was not in WWE/F, he could still be huge and popular with the fans.  It's amazing.

Then why did he cherry-pick every single wrestler he wanted from other organizations? Why did he hire Flair? It sounds like even though Sting was a draw, Vince just didn't see it for whatever reason, and there could be a million.

Bruce Prichard says in his latest podcast that Triple H volunteered to go work for ECW several times during the talent exchange the two companies had in 96/97.

All this news does is fuel my teenage ECW fanboy conspiracy theory that "The Game" character was a complete ripoff of "The Franchise."

• Like 1