DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

12 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

How about Just Joe? I think he was around for a few weeks or so in 2000. His gimmick was showing up backstage and offering unsolicited advice to various wrestlers, and when they asked who he was, he said "I'm just Joe." I think he only had a couple matches on the weekend jobber shows before they dropped him.

I remember that very well.  It was so odd and obviously wasn't going to go anywhere anyway.  Apparently he was more well-known as Joe E. Legend as he was mentioned by guys like Edge and Lance Storm.

3 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I remember that very well.  It was so odd and obviously wasn't going to go anywhere anyway.  Apparently he was more well-known as Joe E. Legend as he was mentioned by guys like Edge and Lance Storm.

He came up through the Canadian indies with Edge, Christian, and Rhyno. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He came up through the Canadian indies with Edge, Christian, and Rhyno. 

Yep, and he was part of the infamous death tours that they would have to drive through.  You couldn't pay me enough to go to the places they went to and risk getting your car go through the ice.

2 minutes ago, NickMD said:

Yep, and he was part of the infamous death tours that they would have to drive through.  You couldn't pay me enough to go to the places they went to and risk getting your car go through the ice.

I can't imagine driving through isolated areas of Canada in the dead of winter. New Jersey winters are enough for me.

This probably isn't that obscure, but how about Batista's main roster debut as Rev. D-Von's second, Deacon Batista? He wore a giant chain around his neck attached to a collection box.

I remember that. 

Does anyone remember when Smsckdown had their tag team title tournament in the summer of 2002 and Devon & Ron Simmons teamed together?

They stayed together as a team for a few months until the Dudleyz reunited at Survivor Series.

Something I know most people here remember but it always stuck with me as a kid. When Mr. Perfect stole the WWE championship from Hulk Hogan and then I believe tool a hammer to it, destroying the plate. Most people may remember that part of it but do you remember Hogan cutting promos WITH the broken title belt around his waist? I do not remember how it was resolved, I gather he just got a new belt. But man, as a kid I thought Perfect was SUCH an asshole for that. I really hated him for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

I vividly remember Perfect smashing the belt and thought he was a bastard for that.  Had no idea Hogan did promos with it though.  That's a clip/picture I'd like to see.

I found the promo where Gene presents him the broken belt but I cannot find any of the ones with him wearing it yet.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I completely forgot about Runnels managing them.  Now you just reminded me of the Hardy's vs E&C series that Terri created.  Of course, Russo being Russo, it was called the Terri Invitational Tournament.

Along those lines, anyone remember Meat?

And..... Terri Runnels and Jacqueline managing Meat as the Pretty Mean Sisters.

I'm not even going to bother to look it up.  That had to be a Russo idea.

• Like 2

WWE had some pretty terrible angles with women in 99. I'm sure most people remember Jarrett's literal woman-beating gimmick and then there's less-remembered angle with Chaz allegedly punching his girlfriend Mariana. The worst part was that Chaz was "ostracized by the locker room" when Mariana showed up with a black eye, but no one made a fuss about Jarrett hitting women (including some very elderly ones) with guitars in the middle of the ring. I think the Chaz angle was "resolved" by GTV where it was revealed that Mariana was faking the bruises for (reasons).

Also does anyone else remember Lawler calling Goldust a "flaming fag" on tv in 97 or so? I'd like to think I just imagined that, but I know I didn't.

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Does anybody else remember the (annual?) "WWF Superstars" magazine?

SuperstarsIII.jpg

It was essentially WWF's version of the "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" comic: profiles of every wrestler working for them.  Because of the usual publication date lag you see with all wrestling media, you'd occasionally get profiles of guys who were long gone or barely showed up in the first place.  I remember seeing a piece on The Missing Link, managed by Bobby Heenan, who was only with the fed for 5 months in 1985.

They were still publishing these in the early 90s when I became a wrestling fan.  I had the one in 1992 and memorized EVERYBODY'S height/weight/hometown.  Forget baseball cards, THOSE are the stats that matter.  

15 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Also does anyone else remember Lawler calling Goldust a "flaming fag" on tv in 97 or so? I'd like to think I just imagined that, but I know I didn't.

He actually called him a "queer" in an in-ring interview.  Goldust said he wasn't and belted Lawler.  It was pretty much Goldust's official face turn - the next week or so, he actually brought his daughter Dakota into the ring with him and admitted that Marlena was his wife.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

He actually called him a "queer" in an in-ring interview.  Goldust said he wasn't and belted Lawler.  It was pretty much Goldust's official face turn - the next week or so, he actually brought his daughter Dakota into the ring with him and admitted that Marlena was his wife.

No, I meant this one...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Along those lines, anyone remember Meat?

And..... Terri Runnels and Jacqueline managing Meat as the Pretty Mean Sisters.

I'm not even going to bother to look it up.  That had to be a Russo idea.

1. They made Stasiak buy their tampons at a store.

2. Someone spiked Stasiak's drink so he wrestled with a boner.

In the alternate universe where Jerry Lawler kept his "I'll wrestle for the WWF when hell freezes over" promise, he's probably beloved by Wrestling fans the world over. But in this universe... Dakota Runnels turned 3 in 1997, and he's out there making jokes about how everyone had a shot at her. Fucking scumbag.

On the subject of Reverend D-Von, who remembers the biggest win of his career (Also the first appearance of the earlier mentioned Deacon Batista)

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of Hayes and also speaking of proteges, I remember Hayes taking promising young upstart Steve Cox under his wing and nicknaming him Steve "Do It To It" Cox.  It was short lived and is definitely a candidate for the worst nicknames hall of fame.

DO IT TO IT! Had a local indy here induct him into their legends HOF last year and he was introduced that way, amusingly memorable nickname.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AxB said:

In the alternate universe where Jerry Lawler kept his "I'll wrestle for the WWF when hell freezes over" promise, he's probably beloved by Wrestling fans the world over. But in this universe... Dakota Runnels turned 3 in 1997, and he's out there making jokes about how everyone had a shot at her. Fucking scumbag.

I believe he said everyone had a shot at Terri, so anyone could have been Dakota's father. Verbage doesn't change that Jerry Lawler is a scumbag. 

Did one of the Headbangers actually wrestle as Beaver Cleavage?  All I remember about that angle was him breaking character during one of the promos and saying he couldn't do it anymore.  That was one of the earliest on air kayfabe breakings I can remember.