DVDVR Message Board

Random stuff you remember that hardly anybody else does

BrianS81177

It was slow at work today and a co-worker and I got to talking about the WWE and he made mention of Dolph Ziggler very briefly being Kerwin White's caddy. I had completely forgotten about that. Anyone got any other random, short lived stuff you remember that you wanna share? I've got a few that come to mind off the top of my head:

Bugsy McGraw working under a mask as the Big Green Machine in 88. As far as I can remember he worked one match, against another masked guy and was never seen again even though he was announced as being on one of the teams in the 88 Crockett Cup.

"The Lumberjack" Jos LeDuc

Brian Kendrick's masked man gimmick on Jakked where he would be named after a local sports team (called The Jet in New York, The Mariner in Seattle, etc)

"Real Man's Man" Steve Regal taking the Godfather's hos. I wanna say this was the last time he was on TV in that gimmick. 

Dino Bravo returning to the WWF a year or two after his heel run ended with his hair black again as a face. If memory serves he started an angle with The Mountie but disappeared quickly.

David Sammartino randomly showing up on an episode of Nitro to face Dean Malenko

Jim Cornette bringing The Headhunters in to destroy some tag team (I forget who) and then they're (Headhunters) never seen again

The AWF. A short lived promotion in the 90s that had Tito Santana as champ and utilized a "rounds" system.

Superstars was pretty much the only wrestling you could get in the UK at one point, though we started to get RAW on a Friday tea time later on. As a result, I distinctly remember during squash matches when they started the switch over from Ringmaster to Stone Cold, the commentators would constantly go on about how 'stone cold' and methodical and vicious Steve Austin had gotten lately and his promos were this really measured and monotonous tone not the antagonistic and in your face Stone Cold who lit the business on fire.

Similarly I remember when Kama Mustafa began to morph into The Godfather, he'd just come to the ring to second D'Lo or The Rock and would be wearing a fedora and smoking a cigar despite being in his NOD singlet and the commentators would constantly mention how much he looked like a gangster out of the Godfather. Fuck knows why all this has stuck in my head 20 years on when I can't remember my 9 times tables or my best friends birthday.

Oh and I totally remember the Rock started referring to himself as the People's Champ and all that after Princess Diana died and the media were calling her the People's Princess all the time

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

It was slow at work today and a co-worker and I got to talking about the WWE and he made mention of Dolph Ziggler very briefly being Kerwin White's caddy. I had completely forgotten about that. Anyone got any other random, short lived stuff you remember that you wanna share? I've got a few that come to mind off the top of my head:

"Real Man's Man" Steve Regal taking the Godfather's hos. I wanna say this was the last time he was on TV in that gimmick. 

I remember that. It was part of the Godfather's way of getting out of matches, by offering his ladies for the opponent to forfeit. Regal took the ladies, claiming "I might be British, but I'm not Elton John", only for the Godfather to wait for Regal to get to the top of the ramp, then question Regal's sexuality (despite evidence to the contrary). Cue brawl...

I used to tape and rewatch Nitro in 99-2000, so I can remember all manner of random stuff:

Lenny Lane's "Bring Back Lenny" angle, which saw him win his job back by beating the Wall (with MIA assistance), only to be never seen again.

La Cucaracha - Disco Inferno as a masked luchador

Perry Saturn with a goofball gimmick hyping a House of Pain match by talking to Dean Malenko about the band, and forcing Malenko to "Jump Around", with Malenko doing so blank-faced

Psychosis winning the cruiserweight title from Mysterio in a four-way, only to lose it again the following week, pointlessly.

Juvi winning the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title on an episode of Nitro via smashing a bottle of corona over the champions head only to lose it back to him the next week.

A WWF MSG house show after the Million Dollar Man bought the title from Andre and Hogan had a match with Honky and it was just for the Intercontinental Title and Hogan completely buries the title when Mean Gene says he could beat Honky and become the new IC champion at the Garden tonight. "IT'S NOT THE SAME MEAN GENE". God, I wish I could find that video. I remember seeing that as a kid and thinking wow Hogan's so whiney.

7 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Psychosis winning the cruiserweight title from Mysterio in a four-way, only to lose it again the following week, pointlessly.

Even worse was his SECOND reign where he only got the title because GLAAD was pissed at the Lenny Lane character so they gave Psicosis the title on a phantom title change and he immediately lost it on TV to Disco Inferno

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

Juvi winning the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title on an episode of Nitro via smashing a bottle of corona over the champions head only to lose it back to him the next week.

It was a tequilla bottle and the champion was Jushin Thunder Liger. As you can imagine, this was during Russo's reign of terror. New Japan refused recognize the title change because fuck Vince Russo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I remember seeing pics of Haku's coronation in WWF Magazine and LeDuc was in the group shot, though I never saw him work TV.  I assume he was on that set of tapings but then they never aired his matches.

He was managed by Frenchy Martin, who had been carrying around a sign that said "USA IS NOT OK".

More 1988 WWF, Baron von Raschke managing the Powers of Pain. He was with them at Summerslam for their match against The Bolsheviks, but was gone by Survivor Series.

• Like 1

I remember the Skyscrapers (Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious with Teddy Long) winning their debut match on WCW Saturday Night by knockout.  A concept that blew my mind at the time.

They just kept the poor jobber bastard in their corner, tagged in and out, and took turns punching him in the face until he collapsed in a heap.

I'm a huge Mongols mark, so I am a big fan of matches ending with the ref going Okay That Mother Fucker's Had Enough and ringing the bell as a mercy killing rather dudes dying via traditional finishers.

• Like 1

I remember a street fight between Big Vito and Reno that took place on an episode of Nitro from London in late 2000 in which either Reno or Vito went thru a table backstage that had a bowl of  clam chowder on it and the commentators spent the rest of the match fixsated on that damn bowl of chowder.

Anyone else remember Dave Meltzer announcing Jun Akiyama as the new GHC champ back in 2004?  'Cause he did. Back in '04, Dave put in his daily update that Akiyama was the new GHC champion, ending Kobashi's epic two-year reign.  Except, due to time differences, the match hadn't happened yet and Dave either got bad info or someone changed their mind at the last minute, because Kobashi unexpectedly retained the belt and Dave had to issue a mea culpa the next day.  To be fair, not putting the belt on Akiyama (Rikio later won the belt, but failed to get over like they hoped) was a dumb decision.

Anyone remember the 7-footer who accompanied Tyson Kidd to the ring a couple times?  I still don't know who that was, though the gimmick seemed to last all of two weeks so it really didn't matter much

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I remember the Skyscrapers (Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious with Teddy Long) winning their debut match on WCW Saturday Night by knockout.  A concept that blew my mind at the time.

They just kept the poor jobber bastard in their corner, tagged in and out, and took turns punching him in the face until he collapsed in a heap.

If I was the jobber I'd collapse from Sid's punches out of laughter

Jos LeDuc didn't make much TV because in Bret Hart's book he told a story about him getting in a pill-eating contest with somebody and was fired. 

• Like 2

LeDuc was a Tennessee territories legend - when some heel manager type brought him in, you knew it was trouble for the local top babyface. Kinda of a bounty hunter vibe, even if there wasn't a bounty on someone's head, per se. He was kinda used the way territories used Abdullah the Butcher. LeDuc's, of course, most remembered for the "ax slicing" promo, but was a really good promo to have such a thick accent (character or real, I dunno).

Wow, I definitely don't remember this guy at all...  (Tyson Kidd's bodyguard)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Andrews

Oh shit, he's also the guy who beat up Rosa Mendes.... Slocum was engaged to fellow wrestler Milena Roucka in 2012. On August 5, 2012, Roucka filed battery charges against Slocum with the San Antonio Police Department, over an earlier incident at their Las Vegashome.[22][23] Roucka stated that she was afraid Slocum would kill her, and that abuse was an ongoing problem.[22] Police photographed scratches and bruises on her body.[22] It was then revealed that Slocum was also engaged to another woman, Amber Stoval, who he had been dating for 4 years prior.[24]

9 minutes ago, jstout said:

LeDuc was a Tennessee territories legend - when some heel manager type brought him in, you knew it was trouble for the local top babyface. Kinda of a bounty hunter vibe, even if there wasn't a bounty on someone's head, per se. He was kinda used the way territories used Abdullah the Butcher. LeDuc's, of course, most remembered for the "ax slicing" promo, but was a really good promo to have such a thick accent (character or real, I dunno).

Jos sounded EXACTLY like a French-Canadian who spent most of his career working Southern US territories. Always loved that.

90s on TBS,  maybe 1994.. WCW did a show called "All Nighter" or something like that which showed some of WCW's best matches over the last few years but in between the matches it was Heenan and I think Tony, maybe Gene and it was like a sleepover, they were all in pajamas and the interactions between them were hilarious, It was probably on from maybe 11 at night or so to 5 in the morning. Something like that. I was a kid so naturally I passed out, not used to staying up that late but I did have the whole thing recorded.  No idea what happened to the tape though.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

90s on TBS,  maybe 1994.. WCW did a show called "All Nighter" or something like that which showed some of WCW's best matches over the last few years but in between the matches it was Heenan and I think Tony, maybe Gene and it was like a sleepover, they were all in pajamas and the interactions between them were hilarious, It was probably on from maybe 11 at night or so to 5 in the morning. Something like that. I was a kid so naturally I passed out, not used to staying up that late but I did have the whole thing recorded.  No idea what happened to the tape though.

IIRC, the relative rating success of that led to a remewed push for Flair, since they showed the 89 Steamboat stuff and 91 Sting Bash match, amongst others. 

I think Tenay and maybe Hudson or Cruise were also there. 

55 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jos LeDuc didn't make much TV because in Bret Hart's book he told a story about him getting in a pill-eating contest with somebody and was fired. 

If I remember correctly, Dynamite admits in his book that he was the one who tried to get him fired, after said contest. 

10 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Jim Cornette bringing The Headhunters in to destroy some tag team (I forget who) and then they're (Headhunters) never seen again

They must have been seen at least once more, they were in the Royal Rumble once.