DVDVR Message Board

UFC 203: Miočić vs. Overeem (9/10/2016) - Cleveland, OH (Quicken Loans Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

170? Probably around 6 feet even or 6'1" depending on the body type.  I talked about this some months ago about how middleweight use to be a bunch of dudes around 5'9" about ten to twelve years ago. Then eventually, that kinda got phased out at 170 too although you still have some stalwarts at welterweight that are kinda short. In addition, all the former welterweight champs in the TUF era (Hughes - 5'9", GSP - 5'10", Serra - 5'6", Hendricks - 5'9", Lawler - 5'11", and Woodley - 5'9") have been below 6' save for Condit, who was an interim champ at 6'2". 

You know, I think Punk might just be able to get out of the first round in this fight. Gall is nothing special in his own right only winning his two fights with rear naked chokes in the first. On the weigh in's they were saying Punk's grappling is supposed to be really good. If he can ground him and hold him off, he can at least drag the fight out. We've seen shittier fights go to a decision.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

You know, I think Punk might just be able to get out of the first round in this fight. Gall is nothing special in his own right only winning his two fights with rear naked chokes in the first. On the weigh in's they were saying Punk's grappling is supposed to be really good. If he can ground him and hold him off, he can at least drag the fight out. We've seen shittier fights go to a decision.

Gall is a 24-year-old professional MMA fighter who, from what I've heard, is a legitimate MMA prospect.  Apparently he's a guy who has done well on the grappling circuit, so I don't think Punk's going to out grappling him.  Gall's advantages in this fight are experience, and youth.  Punk's advantage is that he's a complete mystery. 

Dolloway vs. Barroso tonight is cancelled because, well...

A freak accident has caused the cancellation of C.B. Dolloway vs. Francismar Barroso at tonight's UFC 203 at Cleveland, OH, as Dolloway was injured in an elevator accident at the host hotel.

Dollaway suffered a back injury at some point Friday afternoon when the elevator dropped several floors and then made an immediate stop due to malfunction.

The UFC released this statement:

"UFC announced that C.B. Dollaway has had to withdraw from his scheduled bout at UFC 203 due to an injury he suffered last night as a result of an elevator accident at a hotel in Cleveland. UFC officials have been in communication with hotel management, and the hotel is currently evaluating and investigating issues surrounding the incident."

Yeah, I believe C.B. was in the elevator with Faber, Faber's team (Fabio Prado and Justin Buchholz), Werdum, Brad Tavares, Ray Sefo, Yancy Medeiros, and Ali Abdel Aziz. Between that and Overeem waiting for the one "functioning" elevator to get the weigh-ins, the elevator situation in the Wyndham hotel in Cleveland is a fucking disaster. According to Helwani, sounds like the hotel situation in Cleveland is a disaster as a whole.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I believe C.B. was in the elevator with Faber, Faber's team (Fabio Prado and Justin Buchholz), Werdum, Brad Tavares, Ray Sefo, Yancy Medeiros, and Ali Abdel Aziz. Between that and Overeem waiting for the one "functioning" elevator to get the weigh-ins, the elevator situation in the Wyndham hotel in Cleveland is a fucking disaster. According to Helwani, sounds like the hotel situation in Cleveland is a disaster as a whole.

Why would they load up that many people in the one working elevator?

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So if it happened before, one group should've taken the stairs instead.  

I don't think they knew about what happened to the staff. I'm assuming this happened on the other elevators, which is why they got on the one "working" elevator.