DVDVR Message Board

UFC 203: Miočić vs. Overeem (9/10/2016) - Cleveland, OH (Quicken Loans Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Mickey Gall with the suckiest Seio Nage ever. Punk has gone 4 for 4 on Embedded thumbnails, so clearly someone thinks he's going to be a massive draw. UFC is probably assuming he's only having a one fight career (or possibly that whatever happens, he's only a novelty draw once) so they really want to maximise him publicity wise right now.

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He's on the main PPV card for a reason.  CM Punk is a major selling point for this event.  Overeem vs. Miocic isn't going to put this over 500K buys.

The thing is....neither is Punk.

I think anything over 300k, they would be happy with. That might seem low, but it's still a B PPV all things considered and those only draw so much. I think last minute interest/curiosity might help it get to 350-375k, but I don't expect the bars to be full like they are for the major blockbuster PPVs. Plus, it might have the residual PPV bump from 202 or it may hurt it because you had back-to-back-to-back PPVs in a six week window.

If a guy can put 100-150k buys on top of your basement PPV #s, that's fine and good and that makes him a draw. Massive draw? No.

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

Even Punk admitted on the 2nd "Evolution of Punk" show that he was fat and he needed to lose weight in order to get to the weight they had for him.   

Ah, thanks. I haven't watched any yet. I should do.

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

CM Punk is not looking good or this weight cut.  170 pounds was a poor choice for his debut fight.  He didn't even have a practice cut either.

No practice cut? Wow.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah, I'm rooting for Punk, but watching that press conference from earlier... fuck, he looks like Christian Bale in The Machinist.

That bad?

EDIT: Just seen the press conference. Damn. Scrawny Punk.

Edited by The Natural

Oh, man, that second thumbnail is hilarious indeed.

I'm back and forth on watching this, but finally finished the Evolution of Punk miniseries.  It was a pretty good showing of how he had no MMA skills going in yet didn't look that bad at the end of it.  That and I really missed AJ, glad to see her dorky self be featured.  The only problem is not looking that bad still isn't good enough.  Mickey was doing some shit-talking in the last episode but Punk didn't seem to give two shits.  I think that the show will slightly above average for a B PPV.  I sure as shit hope Punk wins, but doubt that's going to happen.

• Like 1

Since the "Hey Mickey" thing got some attention, two notes here:

1) If no one comes out to "My City Was Gone" by The Pretenders, I will probably disappointed.

2) If no ones comes out to Bone Thugs-n-Harmony for the first show in Cleveland, I will lose faith in humanity.

• Like 3