DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

I thought this week's show was ok.  Anna Kendrick is quite the looker, I hadn't seen her in anything before.  The Mermaid sketch was one of the more ambitious ones they have done in a while as far as set & costuming go.  I'm beginning to worry that Taran Killam is about to cross that "too over the top & annoying" line that Will Ferrell crossed when he was on the show.  They really have something in Kate McKinnon.

• Like 1

Seth Rogan show was pretty good I thought, but nothing worth going out of your way to see.  Maybe I'm just too old, but I still don't "get" any of the Kyle Mooney shorts, I can appreciate that they are "creative" and a change of pace but I haven't found any to be amusing past those points.  Some good stuff this week though, the lady with 2 broken arms sketch was funny and didn't wear out its welcome, Sperm Bank was funny, and the Just Say No was another one that's kind of played out but was still funny anyway.  It's also probably good that this show took a break from overusing Pharoah & Killam and let some of the others have some time.  At the risk of sounding prudish, I kind of wish they would tone down all the adult themed stuff a bit though, all the pot references, sperm bank, etc.

SNL: The Musical was one of the funniest things I've seen in years on that show.  The Lorne Michaels "cameo" was epic.  Anna Kendrick being hot and having a lovely singing voice helped.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

Actually, the yuck was more for Samberg.  I cannot say I know enough about St. Vincent to say I like her or not.  

Charlize is alright, don't know how she'll play on SNL though. Never really cared for Coldplay though.  

I love St. Vincent! Although I'm not looking forward to her performance at all, because, somehow, over the course of 40 years, SNL still hasn't figured out how to produce a fucking live music performance. Acts that don't predominantly lean on backing tracks invariably end up sounding like ass.

• 2 weeks later...

He said that black people were better off under slavery and she said yeah I would be better off under slavery.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. I didn't think it was that funny. It did make people feel uncomfortable; and that was probably their aim.

I thought it was a good, creative bit. Probably the most complicated and smartest of the bunch which may be why some folks may have felt uncomfortable. Too much thinking and worrying as to whether they have "permission" to laugh, on a show where the usual jokes amount to someone doing a decent celebrity impersonation - it's understandable I guess.

I don't think anything she said was controversial, it is just a "slippery slope" type of routine. A lot of people are going to watch that and think because a Black woman is on tv talking about how she would have had it good as a slave, that means they can talk about how good Blacks had it as slaves - which is a no-no. Like, how would NBC react if Matt Lauer said he thought Blacks had it pretty sweet back in the slave days?

It falls in the same category of people who think they can use the N-word, just because they saw a random Black person use the N-word. Some people cannot, or refuse, to see the difference.

It falls in the same category of people who think they can use the N-word, just because they saw a random Black person use the N-word. Some people cannot, or refuse, to see the difference.

While I'd prefer that nobody uses that word, if anybody needs an explanation about the difference, Ta-Nehisi Coates makes it clear.

Also, during the bit, she specifically said she didn't want to be a slave, so...

I don't think anything she said was controversial, it is just a "slippery slope" type of routine. A lot of people are going to watch that and think because a Black woman is on tv talking about how she would have had it good as a slave, that means they can talk about how good Blacks had it as slaves - which is a no-no. Like, how would NBC react if Matt Lauer said he thought Blacks had it pretty sweet back in the slave days?

And those people are morons.  We can't go around moron-proofing society.