DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

• 2 weeks later...

SNL returns on 3/1

Host - Jim Parsons

Musical Guest - Beck

I wonder how Parsons will do when he doesn't have a laugh track making him seem funnier than he actually is.

Also this is Colin Jost's first time at the WU desk.

I thought the show was pretty good.  I thought Parsons would either be really funny or get disturbing over the course of 90 minutes, but it all worked out.  I thought Jost was a tad wooden but I thought there was a different feel to the jokes on the news than when Myers was on and I think it was due to the material having a different voice behind it rather than just the delivery.  I think he will work out ok.

• 2 weeks later...

3/29

Host (and Musical Guest???)  -  Louis CK

Update!

Host - Louis CK

Musical Guest - Sam Smith

4/5

Host - Anna Kendrick

Musical Guest - Pharrell

4/12

Host - Seth Rogen

Musical Guest - Ed Sheeran

• 2 weeks later...

This week's show was a complete waste of time.  Black Jeopardy and Dyke & Fats were the highlights.

Black Jeopardy was the one-legged, homeless, drug addict version of Chappelle's "I Know Black People."  It was just dumb, is there a single joke that couldn't have been written by a 7th grader?  That is the only part I watched, because someone told me how funny it was, I will no longer take anything that person says seriously.  I know black people was great because they asked actual people actual questions about black culture.  This was just, "black people say stuff like"...over and over again.

• Like 1

This week's show was a complete waste of time.  Black Jeopardy and Dyke & Fats were the highlights.

Black Jeopardy was the one-legged, homeless, drug addict version of Chappelle's "I Know Black People."  It was just dumb, is there a single joke that couldn't have been written by a 7th grader?  That is the only part I watched, because someone told me how funny it was, I will no longer take anything that person says seriously.  I know black people was great because they asked actual people actual questions about black culture.  This was just, "black people say stuff like"...over and over again.

They went with the least interesting direction possible given the setup. Though I did like the Alex Treblack joke.

This weeks show was definitely a step up from the usual, Louis CK elevated everything he was in. Weekend Update was maybe the weakest one I have seen in 10 years. Really dug the 10 to one sketch, just waaaaay out there.

Side note , has any cast member lasted as long as Nasim Pedrad and contributed basically nothing as she has?

I'm not sure their fascination with Stephen A. Smith although this was probably the best segment they've had involving the character.  It was just so over the top & cracking Pharoah himself up that I almost wondered if they were sliding unrehearsed lines in ala Stephon.  I don't know that enough people know who Smith is to parody him.  My wife has no clue.  I'm a sports fan but don't watch a lot of ESPN but I know who he is but a majority of what I know about him has been from the SNL parodies.  To me Shaq & Charles Barkley are more accessible parodies although you could argue those are overdone.

Remind me what the "10 to one" sketch was.