DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

I thought this week's show was fine.  There seemed to be more creativity & thinking outside the box than usual so that was good.  Some of it worked--the CEO baby sketch (though that was more the acting than the material), the sampling of 80s music sketch, the subway dancers.  Some didn't--the man on the street interviewing bugs, for example.  But this is very much a transitional year.  I'm starting to see SNL more for what it is a "slightly amusing diversion" than anything uproariously funny or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, our 3 female posters here are going to be up in arms.

I was thinking more of the sanctimonious women's studies set, in general, rather than the Vagina-American posters in this forum. I have seen some people trying to figure out if the White Christmas fake ad was racist so that they are supposed to be offended by it.

Paul Rudd is my secret man crush, I seriously love the dude.  The Bill Brasky sketches might be my favorite SNL stuff ever.  I actually don't hate One Direction and find their willingness to poke fun at themselves to be quite endearing.

That said, this episode was bad.  The divorce lawyer sketch and the Rudd/One Direction super fan video were the only redeeming qualities.  The return of Bill Brasky was lame.  Kinda cool to see Taran in there with the other guys though.

I thought this was by far the best ep. of the season. Particularly enjoyed the opening sketch, divorce lawyers, Bill Brasky (which I don't remember from before), Santa's elves.  To me Taran is becoming the break-out star as he totally immerses himself in all the characters.  I even like his movie review stuff despite wishing they would leave the Bible stuff out of it.  To me Kate McKinnon is the highlight from the female side.

I thought this week's show was a total home run.  Can't think of much that I thought was terrible or bad even.

I'm not sure about next week.  I refuse to watch anything late night w/ Jimmy Fallon but he was good on SNL back in the day so I'll give it a shot.  I'd much prefer JT to be the host.