DVDVR Message Board

The Saturday Night Live thread

ChesterCopperpot

That was a much better episode than expected.

The opening sketch was exactly the kind of stuff I expected from this episode, but after that there were several sketches I've liked.

I especially liked the video clip with Kyle Mooney at the end. There should be more stuff like that on the show.

I still have a hard time seperating the new cast members, but there doesn't seem to be anyone painfully unfunny like Armissen or Wiig.

There were some decent skeches in there.  The highlights for me were Keenan Thompson just outshining everyone in that Fifty Shades of Gray thing as Steve Harvey

and Bobby Moynihan at the beginning of that Mornin' Miami thing:

Production lady: And good morning everyone?

Moyniham:  Is it?  Is it a good morning?

The only thing that really bugged me is this weird social agreement that apparently we all have with the entertainment inudustry where we all have to pretend that Miley Cyrus is the most super desirable woman on the planet.

It's like this coprorate truth, that is not at all true...but we are all forced to mime the actions and words of believing it, otherwise we will become communists of something.

• Like 1

Miley is trying to way too hard to get street cred. It reminds me of Patrick Dempsey in Can't Buy Me Love. As cool as she tries to act, it's just brutally uncomfortable and I wish we could just fast forward to when she reconnects with her country bumpkin roots.

Other than that, everything she did as Michelle Bachman early on in the music video was far more shocking than anything from the VMAs. The casting sketch was great as well. Jay Pharoah's SHAQ had me laughing my ass off.

Edit: LOL, fucking autocorrect puts SHAQ in all caps.

I guess a football game ran late so my DVR didn't get the last 30 minutes of the show but I thought this was a better ep than last week.

I did have one question, the take on Bachman as a sex pot sketch, I took it as the humor in that is that she's ultra-conservative and this was taking it to the extreme in the opposite direction.  The reason I ask is our newspaper had an entertainment blurb about it this morning & I'm thinking the humor was totally lost on the writer because it was written as if Cyrus was portraying a known fact about Bachman. Or maybe I'm just oblivious to some scandal or some not-so-public rep Bachman has.

Have you ever seen two more miserably uncomfortable people than the two old dudes getting their hair cut in the barber shop sketch?

If you didn't see this, you need to HULU it, and just watch the guy on the left.  The other guy is having a hard time not laughing and is at least pretending to listen.  But that guy on the left is either deaf or completely unconscious or...just flat out awesome.

That was a completely missable show. I enjoyed the opening govt shutdown/Gravity movie sketch, and a couple of the pre-tapes (24 hour energy and Guys Dance Party) but everything else in studio was completely missable.  I found it a bit odd that the show was so heavily Vanessa Bayer this week since she's not normally in everything.  Found it a bit amusing that she used the exact Jewish Boy voice as Lady Gaga.  Taran Killem was killing it in the living room sketch, saving a rather annoying sketch.  He's hit the right balance of being just over the top enough to be awesome & not too over the top to be annoying like Will Ferrell was.

So I missed the best part FFing over the music?  And you're telling me those living room sketches are always based around someone misspeaking?  Lame.  I guess I hadn't noticed or forgotten since thankfully they don't do them that often but Killam's performance totally saved that one.

I liked the last sketch, with Norton talking about Halloween candy and such.  It was uneven, but it was the only thing that actually made me laugh.

I'm generally pretty sour about them basing so many sketches on TV shows.  Morning Miami started off seeming like a sketch we'd seen a million times.  It turned out to be a bit different, and it actually had a punchline.  It wasn't amazing, but I give them credit for it.  But they can never do the sketch again (but they probably will).

While neither was all that funny, I appreciated the attempts in the 12 Days Not a Slave sketch and the Wes Anderson parody.  That's usually about the best you can expect from SNL.

With Ylvis always being compared to The Lonely Island, I guess they came full circle on yesterday's show. The video was pretty funny, though.

Also liked the ice cream video right before the end. Apart from that pretty missable show.

I thought this week's show was pretty decent.  What's this "Ylvis sketch"?  Maybe I accidentally FFed over something.  I may skip the Lady Gaga ep, that sounds like a trainwreck.

Lady Gaga performed in a sketch with Timberlake a few seasons ago and was perfectly decent in it.  I'm guessing it will be one of the best episodes of the season.  *Cue me coming back next weekend to admit it was a festering pile.