DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Finally watching The Maxx on MTV Classic... and a Randy of the Redwoods promo. And yes, there are Yo! MTV Raps reduxes, only not as old-school as I'd like artist wise. The Maxx is SO. FUCKING. COOL. I watched the whole thing as a kid and forgot all about it. Some of the best animation ever.

• Like 3

YTV (Canadian tween channel) used to be the best. They had a late night block that was some combination (rotated nightly) of The Maxx, Aeon Flux, Captain Star, Dr. Katz, The Young Ones and Bottom. Made every night a game to see if you could keep the TV quiet enough so your parents wouldn't know you weren't asleep.

The Young Ones, awesome; wasn't exposed to them until I was in my twenties. I just autotuned two episodes of Aeon Flux airing Labor Day night because I still haven't caught any of those again yet. 

Also, all of The Maxx is streaming on MTV.com in case anyone needs their brain twisted into knots. 

Roadies is just trying to be Almost Famous: The TV Series right? That's what it feels like. I don't know how I feel about this show and I'm already 4 episodes in.

I was going to start Ray Donovan but it's been on the air for 3 years or something and I really don't want to binge watch that many seasons in two days. HBO doesn't have any newer shows, that I'm aware of, that I could binge on in one night. Showtime and Starz shows are usually hit or miss (as proven by Roadies). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I really hope on this third season of You're The Worst that Justin Kirk and Tara Summers are brought back as recurring characters, reprising their "older, hipster douchebag married couple" characters from 'LCD Soundsystem.'

It'd be fun to have them show up in every other episode as background characters who get unwittingly dragged into the Jimmy/Gretchen/Lindsay/Edgar/Dorothy/Sam's insanity and slowly have their lives destoryed throughout the season.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

The new Big Finish pod has a great story about a guy and his daughter going to see the third LOT.R movie in a small Irish town and they ended up sitting next to Patrick McGoohan who was super nice to the little girl.

oh and happy 50th anniversary to the Prisoner. 

So I finally got around to watching the eighth and final season of WEEDS, and what a joke. One of the final episodes was a 22-minute long anti-smoking ad, for fuck sake. And the two-part "seven years in the future" finale was awful. Plus, I think with Nancy Botwin, the whole "anti-hero" gimmick is finally dead: how am I supposed to feel sorry for this awful person (no matter how gorgeous she is), because her whole family hates her? SHE WAS AN AWFUL PERSON! They should hate her.

Her getting shot in the head should've been the second-to-last episode of the series, with the finale being the shitty "every character gets one last chance to say goodbye at her funeral," and be done with it.

So I'm watching the Hannibal DVD bloopers.

The highlight, by far, is Madds Mikkelson obviously getting genuinely pissed off and frustrated when he (or someone else) makes a mistake and blows a scene.

Then forcing himself to laugh because, well, it's gonna be on the gag reel and you don't want to seem like an asshole. 

This is so many actors in blooper reels, though. 

On 9/3/2016 at 8:16 PM, Casey said:

Roadies is just trying to be Almost Famous: The TV Series right? That's what it feels like. I don't know how I feel about this show and I'm already 4 episodes in.

I was going to start Ray Donovan but it's been on the air for 3 years or something and I really don't want to binge watch that many seasons in two days. HBO doesn't have any newer shows, that I'm aware of, that I could binge on in one night. Showtime and Starz shows are usually hit or miss (as proven by Roadies). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never seen Roadies but the commercials make me think Cameron Crowe is to music what Jim Ross is to College Footbaw.  A guy who is doing one thing but clearly wishes he had done the other thing, which was always his true love.

Ray Donovan is awesome.  This season has been a little darker than the previous ones, but it's definitely worth your time.  Just don't go into it thinking it's a procedural where Ray and his wacky friends "fix" a new case every week, because most criticism of the show seems to come from people who expected that kind of bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

It was pretty good. The season finale had a rushed cliffhanger, but otherwise I enjoyed much of the character development.

I liked it as well.  The budget was noticeably smaller so they kept the season shorter and tighter.  They're doing some interesting things with a lot of the characters and I'm curious to where they're going.

• Like 1

I have a feeling Atlanta is going to be to me what Power (or Scandal) is for the rest of the people I know. 

I was sold on the show the minute Earn's high school headshot popped on the screen. I had to walk out of the room.

• Like 3

Atlanta is going to be one of maybe three shows I watch as it airs instead of binging later. I hadn't even bothered watching the commercials for it but now I'm all in. Between that and Vice Principals, Brian Tyree Henry is having a breakout year. 

• Like 1

I'm dying to watch more of Atlanta. Another amazing pilot episode.

"Not right now? ... That basically means no man..."

I laughed so fucking hard.

The one thing I didn't get was the Twin Peaks vibe Donald Glover has talked about. I guess maybe the guy on the bus with his Nutella (gross) sandwich goes somewhere further than that.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So the last Divergent movie that is being made a TV series instead... yeah it isn't gonna have Shailene Woodley in it

(at least unless they give her more money)

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/765263-shailene-woodley-says-no-to-divergent-tv-series#/slide/1

I give Shailene about 3 years before she's attached to a tv series because her movie career isn't going anywhere.