DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

RIPPA

I'm going to regret even having an opinion on this--much less stating it--but... context matters, whether we're talking about flips, head-drops, whatever. Joshi's always trafficked in a pretty reckless amount of head-drop violence, and brutality in general. A piledriver in joshi isn't a piledriver in lucha; an armbar hurts way more when applied by a guy with a--however flimsy--MMA background; a burning hammer from Brian Kendrick isn't and shouldn't be as effective as Kobashi's (not so much because he's smaller, but because he's not Kobashi); no one stopped using clotheslines as sub-near-fall moves in AJPW, just because Hansen finished with a lariat; etc ad infinitum. Maybe a punch should be the most devastating finish in all the business, but it's not (or isn't usually), because it's pro wrestling, and everything is as effective as we've collectively agreed to pretend it is. Not that safety shouldn't be considered, or suspension of disbelief protected, but a single gif shouldn't be "this is why pro wrestling is broken". It's sci-fi that way: every universe has its own internal rules, and so long as it abides by them, it can work. Some more effectively than others, for others--but that's a matter of taste, not quality.

Anyway, sorry for the big wall of text, here's a very serious and tiny gif. 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Well said.  Yeah, I don't usually have a problem with one guy using a move as his death finisher and another guy using the same move as a transitional near-fall move.

Also, If there's not a shirt out there that reads "I am Kobashi.  Your argument is invalid", why the hell not?  There really should be.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

0UBgW.gif

I can't see this anymore without thinking about @WWESubway on Twitter.  Their gifs for Subway-related situations are gold, and they tend to use this a good bit (something along the lines of if there's a new Subway in town)

21 hours ago, AxB said:

You'd think just Piledriving someone on the apron would have been enough. Going all the way to the floor... if someone's retiring and they want to do an injury angle on the way out, maybe that's an appropriate time for the spot. But even then it's a bit excessive. How is any fan supposed to buy any other move as an effective finisher on someone who can take a piledriver off a ring apron to the floor and not be dead?

Exhibit #50,000 on today's wrestling being the suck.

11 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

If you can't tell why from the picture, then I can't help you.

No....you can.....try real hard. Indulge me. Was it because she was the only woman there. Was it because of "how she was dressed." Hmmm....what else could it have been. Don't be coy now...

On 9/7/2016 at 11:35 AM, Roman said:

ipABJKa.gif

One of my guilty pleasure matches. I remember Scott using like 5 lowblows in the match and Tony S going, "I think the rules committee should look into that maneuver." Also, my buddy always loves watching this match b/c he marks out when Bagwell comes out in the Bill Clinton mask.