DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE EIGHT - Quarters (8/31/16)

RIPPA

• Metallik switching that leg bar into one of his own was sweet. They had some really nice mat sequences to start. It looked like after the initial mat stalemate, Tozawa realized that he didn't have a big advantage there and went to strikes, but the issue was also that as the pace picked up, Metallik was in his element. 
  • Generally, they kept that form - Tozawa wins strike-fests, Metallik wins when the pace quickens or when things go to the air - which gave the match that realistic element that I love. Like, when I get into it and start analyzing the match like a real fight, you did a good job of infusing that real sports feel into your match. 
  • That slap exchange ended up having a point, but it really felt out of place at that point in the match. 
  • I didn't ever get to the level where I really felt this match, though. I can't put my finger on why. I didn't get a sense of escalation or desperation in the way that I got it from the best matches in this tournament so far. The match did obviously have a finishing run that had escalation, but it felt really my turn/your turn instead of as competitive as in the earlier parts of the match to me. 

• Glad to see Kendrick scrounged up enough to get a second pair of tights! Next up, his very own studio apartment!
  • So yeah, I love Kendrick knowing that he was at a disadvantage straight up and trying to get Ibushi in a place where he could limit Ibushi's strengths. I also love Ibushi not buying it and then pretty much having his way with Kendrick in the stand-up. 
  • Oh man, Kendrick playing possum to lure Ibushi outside so that he could try and get a cheap count-out was one of my favorite spots of the year. 
  • They made a point of Ibushi's neck on commentary, so Kendrick going to it with the desperation neckbreaker over the corner strut was really nicely set up. 
  • Kendrick is like a starving dog on a porterhouse when he works a hold. I said this last week, but he's really great at not just sitting there and actually working the hold. 
  • HOLY SHIT on that German over the ropes!
  • BURNING FUCKING HAMMER
  • Perfectly fine finishing run here. Kendrick did what he could to work the neck, but eventually all those vicious strikes Ibushi hit wore Kendrick down enough to create an opening for the powerbomb. I wonder if Kendrick working that neck will lead to an Ibushi loss coming up in the semis or the finals. 
  • I liked that there were a bunch of kewl movez, but they weren't just for the sake of doing kewl movez. 
  • Bryan crying over at the desk and being proud of Kendrick was great. Man, I love the CWC. 
  • Like 1

Noooooooooooooooo  I wanted Kendrick to win and it kind of pissed me off that after all the work he did on the neck the entire match Kota was still able to pull off all his power moves and shit.  It was a great match though.  I like Kota also but Kendrick was so fucking great in this tournament and he had the best story but oh well. Good fun.

Gran Metallik on the ropes is like a magician. It's like his boots are magnetic or something I sense that he's glued to the ropes until HE decides to jump off.

Well since the match is over we can spoil it I guess.  Apparently on the neckbreaker on the steel rod of the turnbuckles Ibushi was counted out.   Regal had to come out and restart the match because apparently it is an illegal move so he can't be counted out.

Kind of hoping that he would have been actually stuck in the guardrails.  Like that kind of heel stuff 

• Like 1

As I just was saying on Twitter - they really should have left it in since it with with the story of Kendrick trying to save his career by stealing a count out win.

Ibushi will always do something to irritate me but I can't fully blame him for kicking out of the Burning Hammer since he was going over. It is more the move shouldn't have been done unless it was gonna be the finish.

• Like 2

Just now, hammerva said:

Yeah but then if you leave the edit in there then you have to kind of explain why was that move considered illegal to begin with

The explaination is that Regal said it was illegal.

The nice thing about having a non-heel authority figure is that they have they goodwill built up to make a ruling like that and people go "well if Regal says so..."

• Like 1

Ibushi's been pushed as this super-human elite wrestler, so him kicking out of the Burning Hammer didn't bother me as much as it probably should have. I was just like, "Oh yeah, Kendrick knows he has to bust out a super-death-move to win, but even that didn't work because Ibushi is transcendent as a talent."

• Like 1

Yeah, but Kobashi is the master of the Burning Hammer. Kendrick is a dude that hasn't eaten a square three meals in a day in six months and also is not as good as Kobashi. 

• Like 9