DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Before he got his velcro version, he altered the dual-plated first Winged Eagle. He trimmed the female snap side and punched out four new holes to get a tighter fit. One with more snap boxes, which would stay until it's end in 1998, came in late '88.

Here he is with the altered WMV version...

8T6Oijz.jpg

Thank you for that, @PetrolCB.

Belt related question for everyone to answer.

If you promoted wrestling for an extended period of time (like, 10+ years), what would be your mindset as far as physical belts are concerned?

Would you keep the same physical belt for that entire time, so that the first champion and the current champion are carrying the same piece of hardware, or would you get new belts made every once in a while and always keep "updating?"

I understand the appeal of never wanting to change out the originals, like the Triple Crown did for so long. There's something cool about that. But I think in an era when fans are buying legit metal replica belts the problem is you have fans that end up having belts that look nicer than the real one. 

It depends what type of promotion it's supposed to be. Part of the reason the AJPW Triple Crown belts didn't wear out is because they weren't ever used as weapons or thrown around. If you're going for a classy aesthetic, having a classy belt and not changing it ever works. If you're going super grungy, letting the belt get trashed and patching it up very occasionally and minimally works. But if you're intending to straddle the classy/ trashy divide (like most Wrestling companies do) or you want to sell replicas, changing every so often makes sense.

So AIW's Absolute Title should look pristine and shiny, while the Intense title should look roughed up and abused.

14 hours ago, daveprazak said:

Would you keep the same physical belt for that entire time, so that the first champion and the current champion are carrying the same piece of hardware...

Absolutely. Who doesn't love a nice patina? That's why I loved the ECW titles until the JMar ones from late '98.

Now, I know they used the old WWF Reggie designs for the tags and TV in '97 until fall of '98, as well as a new world design but I'm talking about the Vartanian belts.

Those things were beat to shit. Broken, spray painted in the Gangstas case. I thought it was great.

Edited by PetrolCB