DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Interesting. To me, the most significant moments of violence (off the top of my head) were not what I'd call ridiculously violent (Tywin's death, Ygritte's death, the dude Arya stabbed after asking his name, the Hound committing the mercy killing) or didn't involve a sharp object (deaths of Joffrey, Shae, Oberyn, and Lyssa plus dragon mayhem). I guess there was some stuff at Craster's Keep and Reek's spy mission ending in a gnarly axe to the head. Oh, and the dude who got launched into orbit by the giant's crossbow.

What am I forgetting?

dude getting his head crushed was pretty ridiculous. It looked like a Mortal Kombat fatality.

I like Bran's chapters. The mystical stuff is really interesting to me. Admittedly, he doesn't do much but walk around in Book 3, but his few chapters in Book 5, which the show has almost caught up with, were great. Bran's chapters also provide a lot of backstory which the show hasn't, because it would be difficult to do or maybe they've decided the history surrounding Robert's Rebellion isn't that important.

But there is soooo much more boring uninteresting shit than Bran's chapters. Brienne walks around doing fuck all for eight chapters in Book 4.

Wrong thread, mate. Brienne spent no time wandering aimlessly in the show... or if she did, she did it off-camera.

• Like 2

Time for some more Westeros Geography.  Working our way south we find ourselves on the Wall.  As we know from our friends Jon, Sam, and that kid who killed Ygritte, the Wall is controlled by the Night's Watch.  The Wall was built by Brandon(Stark) the Builder(remember this name, he builds a lot of shit, and has approximately 181841848945181513556161 Starks named after him.) about 8,000 years before the start of Game of Thrones.  The Wall is 300 miles wide and 700 feet tall and made of ice and stone.  There are 19 fortresses along the wall, though by the time our epic adventure starts, only three are manned, Castle Black, The Shadow Tower, and Eastwatch by the Sea. 

Castle Black is the main fortress and the one we spend the most time at in the books and the show.  Castle Black isn’t a true castle, the only real fortification is the Wall which guards it from the north.  The “castle” has multiple towers in keeps, and subterranean passages where the brothers of the Nights Watch live, sleep, and work.  The Lord Commander’s Tower, a.k.a. the Commander’s Keep is where the Lord Commander’s quarters are located.  You may remember that this is where Jon Snow saved Jeor Mormont from the wight.  The King’s Tower is a 100 foot tall tower reserved for honored guests, and has quarters for the king should he ever come to visit.  The Tower of the guards is the strongest of the towers, it lies next to the kingsroad and guards the wooden stairs that lead to the top of the Wall.

The Night’s watch is broken up into three orders led by its own officer.  The Rangers are the main fighting force at the wall.  They actively defend the wall as well as riding out from the Wall to patrol the Haunted Forest beyond the Wall.  The Builders are responsible for maintaining the Wall, the castles, the towers, and equipment.  The last of the orders is that of the stewards who are the largest of the three orders.  They hunt, farm, tend horses, cook meals make clothing, and conduct trade with the south.  The stewards are also responsible for all the accounting and record keeping at the wall, though few are literate. 

The leader of the Night’s Watch is the Lord Commander.  Once a man is voted Lord Commander they serve until the day he dies.  Some notable Lord Commanders are The Night’s King(who may or may not have been a Stark) the 13th Lord Commander who converted the Night’s Watch into his own personal army and led it into battle against the King of the North and Joramun the King Beyond the Wall.  When he was killed it was discovered that he was making sacrifices to the Others and all records of him were destroyed and his name forbidden and forgotten.  It is rumored that this is why none of the castles at the Wall have any fortifications to the south.

Lord Commander Osric Stark was the brother of the King of the North. He was named Lord Commander when he was only 10 years old and served for a record 60 years. 

Brynden “Bloodraven” Rivers was a Great Bastard of King Aegon IV Targaryen.  He was an albino with milk white skin, long white hair and red eyes.  One side of his face was covered by a wine colored birthmark that extended from his throat to his right cheek that was shaped vaguely like a raven drawn in blood.  He lost an eye in the Blackfyre Rebellion and instead of wearing a patch he preferred to display his scar and empty socket to the world.  In the year 209 after Aegon’s Conquest Bloodraven was named Hand of the King.  Bloodraven was unliked by the smallfolk of Westeros.  He was rumored to be a sinister sorcerer who ruled the kingdom with spies and spells.  Eventually Bloodraven found himself imprisoned in the black cells under the Red Keep, but was eventually released to be part of the honor guard that accompanied his nephew Maester Aemon to the Wall.  As far as I know he is the only man to serve as Hand of the King and Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch.

• Like 2

I really do enjoy these fill-ins you give us on the history of Westeros. I honestly wish there were some stories on them as a lot of it sounds so damn interesting, some even more than what we get from the present story. Seriously how does a 10-year old end up Lord Commander and surviving in the position into his 70's.

• Like 1

I like Bran's chapters. The mystical stuff is really interesting to me. Admittedly, he doesn't do much but walk around in Book 3, but his few chapters in Book 5, which the show has almost caught up with, were great. Bran's chapters also provide a lot of backstory which the show hasn't, because it would be difficult to do or maybe they've decided the history surrounding Robert's Rebellion isn't that important.

But there is soooo much more boring uninteresting shit than Bran's chapters. Brienne walks around doing fuck all for eight chapters in Book 4.

Your supporting Bran and shitting on Brienne is why you're homeless.

She literally walks around DOING NOTHING for EIGHT CHAPTERS!

I really do enjoy these fill-ins you give us on the history of Westeros. I honestly wish there were some stories on them as a lot of it sounds so damn interesting, some even more than what we get from the present story. Seriously how does a 10-year old end up Lord Commander and surviving in the position into his 70's.

The thing about the history of Westeros is that the vast majority of the people in Westeros can't read or write, and others that know how don't seem to feel like doing it very much.  The Night's Watch isn't exactly full of scholars and historians.  The Night's Watch has a library and Sam is the only one who seems to have any interest in using it.  So there are probably hundreds of years  of history at the Wall that is missing because they either didn't have anyone capable of writing what was going down or just didn't care to do it.  Osric Stark most likely had to write his own entry in the history of the Night's Watch and being a Stark he could very well have just been modest and didn't want to brag on himself.

There is a book so full of the History of Westeros, that they actually named it The History of Westeros that comes out in the fall.  Maybe it will fill in some of these gaps, but who knows.

His name's not 'Duck'. That's just what he does when he walks through doorways. His name is Dunk, short for Duncan.

Take it somewhere else.

Take it somewhere else.

I'm not spoiling anything. The show changed her walking around doing nothing for eight chapters to a badass fight with the Hound.

I just finished season 4, and started reading this thread towards the tail end of the season.

50 pages later, all I can do is express regret we never got a Mean Gene circa early WrestleManias doing a backstage interview with his very dear, close personal friend, Tywin Lannister.

Who's jumping from Westeros and seen backstage in King's Landing? You won't believe this folks, 1900 909-9900. 75c per minute, kids please get your parents permission before calling.

• Like 2

Well, that's fine, but you're being all confrontational to the book readers for something we've NEVER ACTUALLY DONE ON THIS BOARD.

So, you wanna know what my name is?

My name is Edited out of this post~!

Well, that's fine, but you're being all confrontational to the book readers for something we've NEVER ACTUALLY DONE ON THIS BOARD.

Given where we are right now, I didn't think this needed to be stated, but obviously:

I didn't actually read the article and have no idea what you're talking about. 

THAT'S WHAT WE DO HERE!!!!!!!  WE AVOID READING THINGS!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...