DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 21: Maia vs. Condit (8/27/2016) - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_on_FOX_21_Maia_vs._Condit_Poster.jpg

UFC on Fox 21: Maia vs. Condit
August 27, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

Demian Maia (171) vs. Carlos Condit (170.5) - Maia, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:52)
Anthony Pettis (146) vs. Charles Oliveira (143) - Pettis, SUB (guillotine choke), R3 (1:49)
Paige VanZant (115.5) vs. Bec Rawlings (115.5) - VanZant, KO (jumping head kick and punches), R2 (0:17)
Jim Miller (154.5) vs. Joe Lauzon (156) - Miller, DEC (split)

Fox Preliminary Card:
Sam Alvey (186) vs. Kevin Casey (185) - Alvey, TKO (punches), R2 (4:56)
Enrique Barzola (145.5) vs. Kyle Bochniak (145.5) - Bochniak, DEC (split)
Garreth McLellan (184) vs. Alessio Di Chirico (185) - Di Chirico, DEC (split)
Shane Campbell (156) vs. Felipe Silva (154.5) - Silva, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:13)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Chad Laprise (159)* vs. Thibault Gouti (155) - Laprise, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:36)
Jeremy Kennedy (155.5) vs. Alex Ricci (156) - Kennedy, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Paige VanZant
Performance of the Night: Demian Maia
Fight of the Night: Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon

Attendance: 10,533
Gate: $765,481
Rating: 1.98 million viewers

Cancelled Fights:
Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Kennedy - Injury to Emmett
Marlon Vera vs. Guangyou Ning - Ning Visa Issues
Ryan Janes vs. Adam Hunter - Hunter Removed From Card After Being Flagged For Banned Substances

I caved in and will be going by myself like the dork I am. Stupid friends that love wrestling but don't like mma. The main card was too enticing to pass up on.

Anybody on the prelims worth getting excited over? 

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I caved in and will be going by myself like the dork I am. Stupid friends that love wrestling but don't like mma. The main card was too enticing to pass up on.

Anybody on the prelims worth getting excited over? 

I dunno if excited is the right word, but there are probably some fights to watch.

I like how Di Chirico looked in the Velickovic fight. McLellan is far from UFC level so I expect him to get routed.

Shane Campbell always has fun fights. Felipe Silva is a muay thai guy so that should be a decent enough striking battle.

Alvey always impresses when it isn't against a top level opponent. Kevin Casey isn't that. Alvey probably gets a fast knockout.

Laprise vs. Gouti should be okay.

Jeremy Kennedy looks like a good, young prospect. Alex Ricci is someone he would have fought on the regional scene and not as tough a matchup as Josh Emmett was.

• Like 1

If this was someone like Barboza, who I feel people underrate based on a couple losses, I would take that bet. However, it's hard to take that bet IMO because I think Pettis can handle himself when it comes to grappling with Do Bronx even if he is depleted. If he makes the weight successfully, I feel the extra time to rehydrate will certainly help him. My problem with Anthony is wondering if he will do enough if he can't outright dust Do Bronx within one round. I felt Barboza was a bad style matchup for him. Now, the lack of what he did in the Alvarez fight? I dunno if I can find a excuse for that.

Do Bronx is very chinny, but look at how Pettis has performed lately.  He's not pulling the trigger.  Not only that, he's always been more of a counter-striker, and he tends to wait for his opponents to do something before he strikes. 

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Do Bronx is very chinny, but look at how Pettis has performed lately.  He's not pulling the trigger.  Not only that, he's always been more of a counter-striker, and he tends to wait for his opponents to do something before he strikes. 

You have take into in those three losses, he lost to the former world champion (who people absurdly dismissed in their title fight), the current world champion in a fight some people scored for Pettis, and a fighter who in the very least is a legit top 10 lightweight. I like Do Bronx and have been disappointed with Pettis, but I also realize that Do Bronx is neither of those three guys. It's still a dangerous fight for Pettis (new weight class, opponent is super slick with submissions), but tempering expectations is what's key. I think people want to believe he was Super Jesus MMA fighter in the run up to the title, the rematch with Benson, and how he beat Gil. However, I think it's the style matchup. Is Do Bronx going to outwrestle him? Probably not. Is he going to chain shit together like Barboza did? I doubt it. Oliveira is a decent striker, but he is also a long lanky fighter who has slow reaction times (moreso IMO than a bad chin) if anything. His fight IQ ain't exactly the greatest either. If Pettis stopped him on a body shot like he did Cerrone, I would not be surprised. Either way, hopefully, it's an entertaining bout.

• Like 2

Except Edson Barboza has such a massive hole in his game where he responds poorly to aggression and fighters who come forward and don't allow him to find his rhythm and set his pace, and a former champion like Pettis couldn't adjust and capitalize on that at all.  He was basically given a gift decision against Danny Castillo that for all rights should've been scored a draw.

51 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Except Edson Barboza has such a massive hole in his game where he responds poorly to aggression and fighters who come forward and don't allow him to find his rhythm and set his pace, and a former champion like Pettis couldn't adjust and capitalize on that at all.  He was basically given a gift decision against Danny Castillo that for all rights should've been scored a draw.

I think you're seriously underestimating the arsenal of Barboza. Since going to New Jersey full time and training with Mark Henry, that really hasn't been a problem. He is way more confident and isn't easily backed up. He is making more adjustments mid fight instead of tiring out and just doing nothing at that same point in the fight. Also, it's hard to be that aggressive when someone is throwing at that fucking velocity. Barboza is going to have his chin issues because sometimes he does go out and freestyles, but he can beat a shitload of top lightweights. He soundly beat Melendez as well in July as well. He isn't just some dude who knocks random people out. He can make shit really tough for you. Going out and trying to disrupt his rhythm is easier said than done.

• Like 1

I hope so but Elsalvajeloco's right in that his alleged downfall isn't as dramatic as it looks on the surface level. He's still very dangerous and highly skilled. Despite that, he looks emaciated in that interview. 

As much as the main event is such a wonderful match-up, I'm probably most excited for this fight. Oliveira is one of my favourites but I don't think he's a great match-up for Pettis, for the reasons Elsalvajeloco mentioned. He doesn't have the dynamic speed, wrestling, or striking technique the other fighters have. If he can somehow survive the first round and get perhaps a flat and fading Pettis down, that will be his best route to victory.

• Like 2